Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:31
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Does this WOE make your face breakout

Its taken me 4 months to figure this out...whenever I eat something fried my face breaks out. Anyone else expereince this?

I do drink a lot of water...over 128oz a day...I thought that would help flush out the oil but doesn't seem to be working.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:51

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

It's funny you would start this thread as I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I'm in my 40's and have not had any problem with blemishes since my teen years. Since resuming Atkins hardcore in September, I've had a lot of breakouts. I haven't changed my facial cleaners or makeup and I have not been eating a lot of fried foods. It's strange. However, I'd rather have a few blemishes with a less chubby face than to have clear skin and the 20 pounds I've lost back. Julie.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:56
wrkn off da baby fat

BF:

Yeah I mean it may not be the fried food it just may be the WOE period. I also am happier to be thinner but hate these blemishes!! :-(
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am totally the opposite. Before I would break out about once a month, get my face cleared up and it would be time for another break out. Now my face is clear and I haven't had a problem.
Maybe a facial would help get out some of the oils. It is a good excuse to treat yourself, a facial, manicure and pedicure. Usually those 3 come in a package deal.
angie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:06

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Stress makes me break out!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Stats: 165/159/150 Female 68
BF:26% / 26% / 21%
Progress: 40%

Actually, I notice improvement in my complexion when I'm following the program. So I guess it's just different for everyone.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:56

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I do too, just on my chin....and I notice my skin is more oily....more blackheads too and I don't eat a lot of fried food either.

Another thing I noticed too this morning...is that I seem to be hairier......I used to get 1 hair growing out of a scar on my chin...but now I have 20!! I need to pluck them out every few days.....and more body hair in general all over.

Natascha
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:05
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

hehehe... I have noticed an excessive amound of blackheads on my T zone as well... chin especially...

Maybe Biore' should jump on the LC wagon... and market Biore' Pour Strips to LC and charge about $3 more a box... j/k... but you know what putting the Low Carb catch phrase on anything skyrockets the price...

Maybe it is because of the ketones... I hear you secreet them in the pours??
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:09

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

maybe you should try eating less fried foods if thats what the problem seems to be.... try baking or broiling or boiling your food instead... sure its not as good though :-p
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:43

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hello

I've been eating a lot of fat and my skin is the worst it's ever been.

I have TONS of blackheads!

I think I'll reduce my fat intake and see it it gets better.

Maggie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:44
Registered Member

Stats: 207/177/150 Female 62.75''
BF:Shudder/Awful/Good
Progress: 53%

I think my problem has actually been better since starting this WOE, so I wouldn't know what to say about that. I can recommend, though, that you change your cleanser -- it might help. Angie's idea is a good one, though -- get yourself a treat for having lost weight and (hopefully) help with the problem at the same time.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:02

Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

I used to have this problem on this WOE. I discovered the dangers of trans fats this spring and completly eliminated them from my diet. A side benefit seems to be that I have not had a single breakout since. Most fried food is fried in hydrogenated vegetable oil which is mostly trans fats. I fry only in coconut or palm oil or pork or beef fat now. I dont think that fried foods are the problem, just what they are fried in.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:23
wrkn off da baby fat

BF:

Thanx catfishghj ..maybe I will try that and see how it works.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:04

Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

For me, going to LC cured my acne. In fact there has been alot of research lately that shows that most acne is caused by too much processed carbs in the diet. However friend foods, in large quantities will cause your skin to break out since part of what you eat gets removed through your pores.
I stay away from friend foods in general, baked or broiled is better, and although atkins says you dont have to focus on fats as much as on carbs, excess fat in your diet, will cause a stall.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Breakouts are occour under the skin, from the oils in your pores. It is impossible to eat fat and have that fat wind up in your pores. Androgens can cause an overproduction of the pore oil sebum. Androgens cause break outs, not dietary fat. If you find you are breaking out more on atkins, it is probably because your body is adjusting to new hormonal levels as insulin production is being lowered/normalized. It may take awhile for every other hormone to adjust, so for awhile you may have to live temporarily with elevated androgen levels.

For me personally, I had terrible acne BEFORE starting atkins. It was like a miracle, once I began atkins my face cleared up and I never get blemishes now. I now know this is because I was producing WAAAY too much insulin and my testosterone levels were also too high from it. I probably had undiagnosed pcos to be honest, since I had all symptoms of an overproduction of insulin and testosterone.
Although, I do find my skin to be very dry now (a problem I never had before). I attribute this to estrogen dominance, as I am breaking down a lot of stored fat which is artifically elevating my estrogen levels. Once I lose the weight and progress into maintenence I figure this will go away.

Just stick it out a few weeks, and I gaurentee once your body adjusts you won't have any blemishes anymore. Blemishes are caused by hormones, not fat. In fact, blemishes are caused more by refined carbs than they are fat since refined carbs muck up our hormones!