Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default I was starving....

and I went to McDonald's after work to get a burger. This is the first time that I have been to a fast food place since starting Atkins. Anyhow, when I placed my order I told the woman "hold the ketchup" and "hold the bun". I had to repeat "hold the bun" several times. When I got to the window, they had to clarify it again: "you just want the meat with lettuce and cheese". I said yes. It was sort of embarrassing but well worth the effort since I was starving and wouldn't be able to eat until nearly 9:00 p.m. I am thinking next time I will just order the burger and take off the bun myself. A little less embarrassing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:17

Plan: card addicts
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 64 inchs
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did the same thing as you. They must have ask me five times to repeat myself. I decided that if theres a next time , I'm going to get the bun and feed it to the ducks. I may as well do something good with it , since I'm paying for it anyway.
Tina
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/372/130 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 10%

Guess what guys? My McDonald's gets so many orders for no bun, they ask me if I'm on Atkins. Just keep ordering it no bun and soon, they'll think it's normal!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:44

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

ahhh! I am from Iowa and a lot of the fast food places here just don't get it. Once I waited for five minutes at Burger King (in store). The lady running the register kept saying "No bun" over the microphone to the cooks in the back. They were like "Okay... no bun on that?" and she was like "Yes,no bun".
I waited and waited... and AHHH!!! When I got to my car, and opened the wrapper, it had a bun!!!

Some places have it right though. Hardee's have these Thickburgers that are really good. I get the Chili Cheese burger with out the bun, and ask for a fork. They actually have special containers for burgers without buns, and they are always reallllllly nice about it.

The chili cheese burger, mmmm. I like to eat it's gooey goodness with a fork! WOW!!!!

Anyway,
Leah
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:45

btw... the chili cheese burger has 10 grams of carbs (gross carbs, not net)

Pretty good for a fast food meal.

It's really great.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 21:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/372/130 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the update on the carbs for the chili-cheese. I've wanted to order it, but was afraid of the carbs in the chili. Now, I think I'll have one for lunch tomorrow.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 22:00

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Yes, by all means--order your burgers with no buns until they get the point! Different places in our area are really good (like Carl's Jr.'s which I think is the same as Hardee's), and Jack in the Box does a fine job, too. The only McD's I ever manage into is the one in WalMart and they've only got a partial menu, not even salads. I hate to eat there!

Having gotten used to eating the burgers without buns, even if I wasn't LC, I don't think I'd ever order another with the bun. They're so much better without! The bread just dillutes the flavor.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 01:06

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yup, I agree to not be embarrassed and keep ordering it the way you want it. They'll wise up.

I'm a waitress and always feel bad when people are too embarrassed to ask for no bun and just leave it on the side. I always tell them it's no trouble... restaurants are in the business of providing food you want to eat. Fast food chains can be a little dense when it comes to substitutions and things, but with a little time they'll learn. LC is popular enough that it should really be a standard option, in my opinion.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 06:45

Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%
Default Fast Food Junkie

Ok, I love fast food. I could talk about it all day. I was practically raised on the stuff (probably why I am the weight I am). Anyways, I have been to ALL of the fast food restaurants in the area and I get a lot of strange looks. In my crazy little mind, I think that everyone is thinking "why is this fat little girl being so difficult? Like not eating the bun is really going to make a difference!" (I get these looks all the time and I know this is what they are thinking!!!
Now, in my opinion, if I was a skinny little girl, then they would be saying "wow, she gets to eat meat and cheese and she looks like that! What's her secret?"
Anyways, I guess it's just something we all have to deal with.
Some restaurants have been very nice to me and have helped me with low-carbing.
For example, at Taco Bell I used to get a chicken soft taco supreme (chicken, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, and tomatoes wrapped in a flour tortilla to those *poor, poor* people in the world who don't have a Taco Bell in their town) and it cost around $1.60. Well, one day I asked for no tortilla and the lady said ok, I'll charge you for separate side items. NOW, I get a side of chicken (actually more chicken than what comes on the taco), a side of lettuce, and a side of sour cream, which totals to about $1.05! I either take it home and put some salsa ranch dressing on it or just mix it all together and eat it as-is.
At Wendy's I ask for a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger with no bun and they put it in a baked potato container for me and it only costs $0.99!! I stay away from McDonald's and Burger King because the people there just don't understand what "no bun" means--not yet anyways!!
I will probably never be able to give up fast food, but it is nice to know that I can have my cake and eat it too (figuratively speaking) AND that some people in this world understand my WOE.
~Leigh
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:03
Registered Member

Stats: 235/170/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I can no longer eat McDonalds hamburger patties. They are truly AWFUL! Without that bun masking the horrible quality of the "meat", the burgers are repulsive. Now, Hardee's, Burger King OR Wendy's, on the other hand . . . .!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:09

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

Only thing you have to watch in some of those meat patties is that they contain bread crumb...I work at M&M Meatshops so I know the processing method..LOL
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:22

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

This reminds me of going to Taco Bell when I was a vegetarian and asked for a meximelt without meat. The girl was being a jerk and said no meat? Like I was crazy.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:32

I went to IHOP the other day. I couldn't find ANYTHING on the menu that was low carber friendly. So... I ordered a Monster Burger (two 1/3 burgers with swiss and provolone cheese and everything else) and a salad.
I asked for NO BUN! I told the waitress to make it exactly like they would, with EVERYTHING on it... just make it on the plate instead of with a bun.

I didn't get my salad "Oh, were soooo sorry about that", and when my burgers came, they were all by themselves in the middle of this huge plate! To top it off, there was no lettuce, mustard, mayonaise, onion or even a tomato slice!
I was sitting by the kitchen, I could here the cooks talking (bitching) about making the order without a bun!

It's NOT THAT DIFFICULT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 08:06

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

I was grossed out bu Mcdonalds burgers with out the bun too...but I ordered the quarter pounder one day...never going back!!! I order the quarter pounder with cheese with everything on it(it's liek a salad). It's great!