Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default tips/experiences

Hey there! Just wanted to open this thread to discuss experiences with tips and tricks that have been used. Please, it would be appreciated if this stayed an informational/experience sharing thread, rather than one which is dedicated to lecturing those sharing experiences.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some things that work on a stall:

-patience & staying with your plan to the letter as in the book, even when not losing. Be patient with your body. Various kinds of fasting, flushes and and trying other extreme things (not in the LC books) may only reinforce the body's determination NOT to lose anything.

- upping the carbs if that's what your chosen plan says to do. Choose from the lists of vegetables and fruits that are listed by your plan.

- not restricting calories to starvation level. That puts your metabolism into 'preservation' or "starvation" mode and the body will slow the metabolism to manage on fewer calories until the "famine" is over.

- not popping on and off your plan. If you eat by the plan for 3 days, then have lots of carbs, that isn't following a low carb plan. That will really mess up the metabolism and is actually yo-yo dieting.

- choose a healthy and reasonable goal weight and be prepared to modify it upward when getting closer. The scale should not rule one's losing.

- give the body time to adjust. Even when the major part of the fat is lost, the body amazingly seems to redistribute things and the shape may change if one is patient and stays with the plan.

- realize that the last 10-15-20 pounds may come off extremely slowly. And that is good, if frustrating. It gives us time to adjust and learn to make the low carb way of eating a real way of life.

We all wish that the Whoosh Fairy would take up permanent residence in our bathroom and do her magic for us every day. But maybe our body works by laws that we can't clearly understand. The frustration and the seeming stalls may be necessary parts of the journey to a healthy weight.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Oct-19-03 at 18:37.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:51
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Meg! Hi Tofi! Great tips! I have not really had a stall yet but I have had to learn patience. When I first started the weight loss was really slow and it was frustrating but I stuck with the plan and it paid off. I also think that my metabolism needed to heal. I received alot of amazing advice from this forum.

I have had periods when my weight loss has slowed down and I just try to be patient, drink my water and know that eventually the scale will move or my inches will decrease.

I have not moved beyond 20-25g of carb and I know I have to do this. It is just really hard because I am so comfortable at that range but in my head I realize I have to start increasing my carbs.

I think what really helps is that stay away from low carb products or at least have them in moderation. I eat most veggies, sometimes nuts and fruit on rare occasions. I don't drink pop or coffee, just water and no aspartame. I have splenda but not very often and I have never tried any products with sugar alcohols.

The only time I ever cheated was last week when I went on a trip to Miami last weekend. I cheated for the last three days but I did not gain anything (just water 3 pounds). The next day I went right back on plan the day after the 3 pounds were gone. I don't intend to do this often. It was scary, I was afraid that I would have cravings and that I would have all those detox symptons like when I did Induction but I was okay. I think it helped that I did alot of walking and swimming and I only ate two meals on the days that I cheated. Also, I drank water only though I just had a taste of my friends drinks (3-4 at most). Cheating just sets you back though and I will try my hardest not to do that again.

The best tip that I can give is stick with whatever low carb program you are doing. If you follow the rules you plan will work. Seriously. Just be patient and persist. Oh yeah, I think exercise is mandatory.

Good luck low carbers. We can do this!

Peace
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Sun, Oct-19-03 at 18:54.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:59
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Maybe I don't understand what cheating is. I thought it was eating real sugar sweets or whatever makes a person stumble into binges.
Please explain
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 19:54

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

"Cheating" is the word used to mean 'eating things that aren't on your plan'.

Perhaps the important question is: just who is being cheated? Guess what? If you eat 'off plan,' YOU are being cheated of getting closer to your goal weight. And then it's necessary to deal with the consequences of eating 'carbage': weight gain, bloating, gas, discomfort, intestinal things (nuff said), maybe even headache & those CRAVINGS!!

LC plans use real food but lead us to choose protein, good fats, vegetables, salad and fruits. We used to eat sugars and starches before LC and were very used to thinking they were "good".

There's a lot of habit in what we think we want to eat. Our body may put thoughts of sugars and starches into our minds because it is much easier for the body to digest carbs than the LC food. But if we eat protein and/or fat, the craving generally goes away.

Hope that helps.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 20:00
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Well, I've been saying that I never cheated but I went on vacation last Feb. to Baja California and couldn't resist the refried beans. I ate one spoonful everyday. I had been on Atkins for 2 months. I still lost about a lb and didn't crave any other bad carbs.
I guess that is a cheat?

Bette
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 11:48
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

One of the things I considered cheating was when I had kidney beans. HTH. I still think you did great you could have done far worse than beans. Congrats on your loss!