Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:14
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Pizza Hut misses the boat...

When they had soooo much potential! They are coming out with a low-fat pizza. Whoopie. Why not make a lower carb crust, loose the sugar in the tomato sauce, and introduce a low-carb pizza!!! A link to the article is below, at least one person interviewed said they were doing the wrong thing, that low carb is in now.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus...-14-pizza_x.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It would be far more major a move for Pizza Hut to go low carb than low fat, considering what they have to work with. Sure, I would pay twice as much for a low carb pie...but the very thought would chill spines at Pizza Hut.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:31

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Toooooooot tooot toooooooooot

That's the sound of the boat .... leaving without them
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:55

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Go here and send them your feedback. I did.

http://www.pizzahut.com/contact/
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 18:11
Contributing Member

BF:

Thanks mle! I did email them, and this is what I said:
First, I love Pizza Hut. I saw an article in my local paper that Pizza Hut was coming out with a new low-fat pizza. Why? It would be so much easier, and BETTER if it was a low-carb pizza! This is the new thing, and with all the great resources already in the Pizza Huts (cheese, vegetables, meats) all you would have needed was to take the sugar out of the sauce and thin out the crust a little! Will it be easy to order the new low-fat pizza crust with the NORMAL toppings? It is great you are coming out with something new, but healthy choice, lean cuisine, etc. already make low fat pizzas, BLAH. Hopefully, you will expand your menu to include a low-carb version of your product. Blimpie, McDonald's, Wendy's and many others are introducing low-carb products and I would greatly look forward to yours.

Well, I hope Papa John's get's it right and goes the LC route!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 18:24

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

oohhhh I will pray that Papa Johns get it right indeed! YUM!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:01

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Oh, yeah, on the Papa John's thing! Love Papa!

Here's what I said to Pizza Hut, and, I requested that a rep contact me so I can browbeat them some more:

Having just read an article regarding Pizza Hut's move to a low-fat pizza, I have to say it's a really off-base move.
Low fat is not going to help a single soul, other than keep them from being hungry for 20 minutes.
Go LOW CARB! Those of us who live that life find it more filling and fulfilling than any other way of eating ... and, you can keep the meat, the cheese and the vegetables!
We want pepperoni. We want ground beef. We want bacon. We also want olive oil, if you please!
Salad bar with Ranch or Bleu Cheese? We're there! We don't need anything fancy ... except a good, low-carb crust. And, there are professional bakers out there making them with Wheat Protein Isolate (a natural, low carb "flour") and other healthy, natural ingredients.
Your stores will find take-out orders and new restaurant visits like you've never seen before with a low-carb offering. Why? Those of us who eat the low carb way haven't ordered pizza in days, weeks, months or years.
So, please, go low carb for us. You'll be glad you did.

I figure they can't lose -- how many thousands of us haven't done pizza in ages? Would we not hit a pizza place in droves if it offered LC foods?

C'mon, Pizza Hut! Show what you can do!

---Amy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:08

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstar96920
Blimpie, McDonald's, Wendy's and many others are introducing low-carb products and I would greatly look forward to yours.

What l-c products have McDonald's introduced?? In Australia things are a little slower to hit our stores, we have recently had McDonalds salads introduced (which have a low-fat focus but some are l-c) but apart from removing the bread from my cheeseburger, McD's have nothing else l-c here. If USA's McD's have introduced l-c, I sure do hope Aussie stores can follow their lead!!

Katt
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:49

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

I sent pizza hut my request as well. I use to eat pizza hut at least once a week. Man I miss pizza, but I told them I will not be back until the come out with a low carb pizza.

Deana
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 20:00

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzday
oohhhh I will pray that Papa Johns get it right indeed! YUM!

I'm not really a fan of Papa Johns...their sauce is WAY too sweet for my tastes. It tends to overpower the other ingredients. Now, if they'd tone the sweetness down a bit and use a low-carb crust...they might get my business back. For now, I'll stick to making my own Pizzas using LaTortillas.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 21:09
Contributing Member

BF:

Katticus,
I read a post here that McDonald's is coming out with something like "we fit your lifestyle", with 3 different choices" low-fat, low-calorie, or low-carb. At least they are trying by introducing the salads. I've heard the Burger King lowfat chicken sandwich is terrible. Our local paper reviewed it and said it was "mush".
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 22:46

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Yeah, I heard this Pizza Hut news on the radio this morning as I drove to work. I nearly drove off the road laughing. Talk about being behind the times. Or maybe this is just their cute little move to ward off the insane law suits by lawyer sharks. I sent them a note that they need to go low carb instead.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 05:17

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Behind the times, yes... isn't it 30 years since Dr. Atkins book first came out!!!

Katt
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 07:26

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Yes, feedback is a good idea. Here's what I said:

I heard you are planning to come out with a low fat pizza. Weeeell...it's too little, too late. People will or won't eat pizza anyway. What you want is a low carb pizza!
So many people are eating low carb, and loving it! And it would actually be easier, and more tasty, than a low fat pizza. A few different ingredients on the crust, no sugar in the sauce, and you're there!
One thing everybody misses on a low carb diet is pizza. We can make our own...but if you offered a low carb pizza...man!
You'd be packed to the walls.

But let's face it. If it took Pizza Hut this long to catch on to low fat, just as it's popularity is waning, we will have to wait a while for them to catch on to low carb.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 12:26

Stats: 320/224/175 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle_ii
Go here and send them your feedback. I did.

http://www.pizzahut.com/contact/

I haven't eaten at Pizza Hut for a while now, and won't be, ever again, until you offer low-carb pizza. This is your chance to get ahead of almost every fast food chain in the WORLD by offering a few selections for the low-carb crowd--a crowd which is growing all the time! It wouldn't take a huge change for you, either--make a good low-carb crust... remove the sugar from your tomato sauce (or use SPLENDA to sweeten it) and there you go! Most toppings are pretty much carb-free or are very low carb anyway: pepperoni, Italian sausage, ground beef, cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. So why not take the LEAD in this matter and instead of offering low-FAT, (boring, old news) offer something REALLY new---low-CARB... and then just sit back and count the money!!

Hopefully if they keep getting the sort of feedback we have been sending, they will get the idea! *fingers crossed*