Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234.5/195.2/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Too Few Carbs?

Is it possible to be eating too few carbs on Atkins? I can easily go under 10g and find myself looking for a few extra g's. Is it better to be around 20g or just stick at 10g if I can?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:54

Plan: Back to induction! :-)
Stats: 209/179/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Too Freakin Much!
Progress: 51%

It is best to stay at 20 grams carbs per day on induction. If you go below that your body goes into a starvation mode and it will inhibit your weight loss. I have learned a lot from this message board, this being one of the valuable lessons. Good luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

That probably means that you arent getting enough veggies. This diet is not about just eating meat.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 21:46

Stats: 260/211/180 Male 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

One of the people on this forum sent me a wonderful email concerning this...if you like it...I will forward it to you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 04:24
Registered Member

Stats: 234.5/195.2/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Sure, lets hear it. I'm starting to get down on this whole thing. Iv'e been at the same weight for 4 days on induction. Strips do show light purple though (1 step form the top). Am I eating too much? I know I can lose wight faster on low fat/cal diet.

Last edited by Wicked_1 : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 04:27.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 04:31

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_1
I know I can lose wight faster on low fat/cal diet.

I've learned that it's not just about losing the weight, but maintaining that loss after you hit your goal. Learning the habits of eating the right foods is so important for maintenance. Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 06:11

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Starvation mode hits when you consume too few calories...not too few carbs. The eskimos lived on nothing but meat for eons before there were grocery stores or easily accessible vegetables, etc.

That being said...the reason vegetables are so important is that they have so many nutrients that are good for you. A lot of people swear they lose faster when they are closer to 20 carbs while others swear they lose faster at between 5-10 carbs per day.

Someone posted that in the first Atkins book, he only allowed five carbs per day and he does say in DANDR that the fewer carbs consumed, the faster weight loss will progress. He also does emphasize the importance of those veggies, though.

If you are only four days into it (or the poster who said they were on day four of induction), I wouldn't expect you to have lost much if anything at this point. It takes 2-3 days for your body to burn up the excess carbs and for you to get into ketosis.

L

Last edited by whyspers : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 06:12.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%
Talking Tips

Quote:
Iv'e been at the same weight for 4 days on induction. Strips do show light purple though (1 step form the top). Am I eating too much? I know I can lose weight faster on low fat/cal diet.

If your ketostix are purple, that means that you are on Ketosis, which means that you are burning fat from fuel and no carbohydrates or glucose. Some people do not see the numbers on the scale moving, but everybody sees them self melting away fat. Use your measuring tape, and only weight once a week.

Remember that to burn fat you need to eat Fat. 70% of your total calorie intae should come from fat. 25% from proteins and 5% from carbs (no more than 20 gms during induction).

The importance of eating the aloud veggies during induction, is due to the necessary fiber that our body needs. If you do not eat enough veggies, you will be very very constipated. Believe me, I know what I am talking about.

Start using www.fitday.com and start entering your food intake. This program is really good.

Last edited by becky160 : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 08:20.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Stats: 213/194/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 58%

OK, now I'm confused. I have been trying to keep near zero while going back into induction. I have a good eye (and taste bud) for hidden carbs, i.e. sugar(s). Still I figured if I shoot for zero, the hidden carbs will add at least five, or more.

Back to the question at hand..... am I better off at ZERO or TWENTY. Your opinion please
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 20:12

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

How can you be near zero if you are eating 3 cups of veggies per day (as directed in the book)? I can't believe you would be better off at zero...nor could you probably hit the desired ratios (65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs).

Froufy
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 11:48
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Kegan, if you want a direct answer, I'll offer my opinion. You are better off at 20 than you are at 0. Your brain needs some carbs to function, and your body needs veggies (which contain carbs) for optimum health. Shoot for 20 grams a day.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:43
Registered Member

Stats: 213/194/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks. I sat my London Broil topped with Blue Cheese crumbles (yum) on top of a small bed of lettuce and some raw (sweet) onion at dinner last night. I'll try to hit the 20 with good veggies. I appreciate the response.