Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 07:36

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default WW getting on board

A co-worker who goes to WW just told me she can't wait until this week's meeting, they are introducing a new low carb, high protien program. Isn't it amazing how the critics are slowly coming around? I'm sure in some cases it's purely monetary.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 07:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Talk about jumping on the bandwagon!

So are they going to try to do low fat, low carb? Those poor people, they are going to be grumpy and starving! Worse, they are going to be paying for the priviledge!

Just give me my DANDR, thank you very much - I'll manage the rest myself!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 07:54
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Really? Well, well, well.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieP
Those poor people, they are going to be grumpy and starving! Worse, they are going to be paying for the priviledge!

My thoughts exactly! Why not go on starvation right away, why use any plan at all????

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yep .. low-fat, lowish-carb .. here we come.

Bread will be "good" and "healthy" if it's got the word whole anywhere on the label .. eggs will be restricted to 6 per week .. and I highly doubt that butter will appear on the menu. Maybe in Week 4, 1 tsp (5g) as an "extra" item.

(ex-WW'er here )

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I love that online magazine, low-carb luxury. What upsets me though is while the editor claims to do Atkins, she also states she follows a high protien, low carb/low fat diet. I think alot ofpeople think that is what Atkins and other low carb diets mean. After all we already know fat is bad, we're just learning carbs are bad too *insert eye roll here*

Almost all the people I've talked to on WW were starving. Some of it was not using points wisly though, choosing 3 very high point meals instead of a ton of low point veggies. I just shudder to think what they will choose for Low point, LC items. I don't think salad is going to be one of the top choices by many.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:00

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I was never starving on WW, but I did gain 2lbs a week for a couple of weeks. Hey it works for some people, so I will not knock it. I'm just thinking if it's low calorie? Wow can you imagine how little they will have to eat? Meat adds up pretty quickly! I think they might have less to eat now than before.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Haha Weight Watchers never worked for me...I would have cake/cookies for breakfast and end up with 3 points left for the rest of the day. Bad me
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableLC
I was never starving on WW, but I did gain 2lbs a week for a couple of weeks. Hey it works for some people, so I will not knock it. I'm just thinking if it's low calorie? Wow can you imagine how little they will have to eat? Meat adds up pretty quickly! I think they might have less to eat now than before.

ah but dont worry they will recommend ONLY very lean cuts of meat, so the calories will not be any higher than carbs!

silly really.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:23

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

/begin rant

<sigh> rather it is low fat, high fat, moderate fat, low calorie...whatever it is, I am starting to get a little disgusted at the whole
"Oh, we have invented something new" thing with all of these nutrition and centers. Even if thye DON't directly rip-off Dr. Atkins, they jump on the Low CArb bandwagon and claim to be original in some way, yet they are probably still going to conform to the low fat principle because they are going to have limited knowledge and cross-information about the concept.
Slim Fast made bars that are low carb now. I never tried them, and maybe they are good. But they just completely, although subtly, reinvented their product concept. It is almost like companies saying,
"We have been wrong for 20 years, but we are right now. Sorry, we can't give you a refund or give you back your time you invested in us."
Instead, however, they say..." We now have a new product...Oh, low carb. Yes, in fact it is. Well, we are improving ourselves. Actually, we just want to offer more diversity to people in our products..."
And, as if it weren't enough that WW, SLim Fast and protein bars are mysterously aquiring new life, all of these 'doctors; spring up from out of nowhere and claim that really, they have been researching low carb for the last 15 years and their eating plan lowers risk of heart attack. It just so happens that their eating plan IS low carb...but that is a coicidence...
Wow, talk about being on top of things. And I Thought the fashion world blatently copied each other mercilously and without discretion. The nutrition world and it's circle of doctors/health experts and trainers are just cut throat compared to 600+ designers riping-off Coco Chanel's dress-for-every-occasion in 40 differnt shapes in colors.

/end rant
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have a friend on WW and it seems like she is always hungry. I can tell that she has symptoms of hypoglycemia but I will let her go her own way.

Black57
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I used to be a leader for WW. The program DID work, but I was often hungry and frustrated, and the lowest I ever got was 153....even after months and months of not cheating. With Atkins, I just kept sliding down with the usual stalls.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My friend lost a bunch of weight on WW, but he had the benefit of a wife who would keep track of everything for him. He never had to count points or portions or whatever, because she did all that for him.

Since I am not married, I had to have a plan that would allow me to eat basically as much as I want whenever I want, without the hassle of food wheels, measuring tiny portions, force feeding fake styrofoam food or whatever. I also wanted something that would work relatively quickly, and not take two years of frustration just to lose 20 or 30 pounds.

What could be more perfect for all that than atkins?

TC
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 18:59

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

Had lunch with a WW acquantance today. She absolutely bristled at me when (after seeing this thread) I mentioned that WW was jumping on the LC bandwagon. Guess I'll have the last laugh!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:11
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

I tried WW, really enjoyed the support, but STARVED. Those "points" actually equal to about 50 calories per point. I was down to 20-25 "points", most of that being low fat pasta and breads. That meant I was only eating about 1000 calories a day, most of them carbs. I felt faint, weak, miserable. I followed the plan exactly. It took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds, and 1 month to gain it all back. I swear I think that crappy way of eating is still messing up my metabolism. Thank God I listened to my friend who was doing Atkins, and had lost 130 POUNDS. She was even in fitness magazine! And here I am, with only 20 pounds to go!!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 20:41

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieP
So are they going to try to do low fat, low carb? Those poor people, they are going to be grumpy and starving! Worse, they are going to be paying for the priviledge!

Just give me my DANDR, thank you very much - I'll manage the rest myself!

been seeing DANDR a lot... what's that? *i feel so ignorant* hehe