Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/228/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Diabetes Medicines

I have been on Atkins for almost 4 weeks. I have only lost 8 pounds, 6 pounds in the first 6 days. I am still on the Induction diet, I have been pretty strick about following plan. I am disappointed that I haven't lost more weight. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Diabetes medicines I take. I take 45 mg Actos, 1000 mg Glouphage and 20 mg Pravacol. I bought the lipolysis strips last week, I am usually between slight and moderate. Does anyone have information about this? Is this why I'm not losing as quickly as the book says I should. Is this diet not going to work for me?

Last edited by LucyM : Sun, Oct-12-03 at 21:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 09:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/280/215 Male 6'3"
BF:40.6%/38.5%/20%
Progress: 7%

Hi Lucy -

I find the Atkikns diet works in "swooshes" -- in other words chunks of weight lost at a time. Like the six pounds you lost in the first week.

Keep in mind that sometimes you are losing inches and not pounds -- by redistributing fat to muscle (which weighs more) -- so it's good to check inches too.

I actually went as far as getting one of those Body Fat scales and I'm clearly losing fat -- started around 40% and down to 31.2% with only a bit over 20 pounds to show for it.

You have to be careful with these scales and weigh/measure body fat at night -- but don't pay attention to the weight since it's usually higher. The reason is in the morning the body fat measurements are higher due to dehydration and the like.

The scales aren't too expensive -- about $75 if memory serves me.

My rule of thumb is if you are in Keto/lipolysis your doing something right -- keep it up

Good luck and keep us posted.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 09:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default weight loss

Following the Atkins diet induction, you should be able to get your blood sugar down to a healthy level. That does not always equal weight loss for some people.
It has been my experience (type 2, metformin) that you may not lose weight after your initial drop without also lowering your caloric intake. All this stuff about gobs of mayo, cream, butter, etc - all you want (which Atkins does not advocate, by the way) - just doesn't apply to most diabetics.
Many of us have too much insulin circulating to lose weight easily. Try portion control. Try eggs cooked in one teaspoon of butter rather one tablespoon. Use a small amount of salad dressing instead of really pouring it on. Dr. Bernstein recommends eating less protein in order to lose weight.
Hmmm - we've bout cut out carbs, lowered protein, and lowered fat - that doesn't leave much. Maybe just drink some water and suck on a rock! Just kidding, sort of, but that is the way it sometimes feels, isn't it?
Have you tried exercise? It works. For most folks, a walk - doesn't have to be real strenuous - will bring that blood sugar right down, thus reducing the level of insulin. It works best if you do it after every meal but most schedules don't always allow that.
I know how frustrating it is when you lose several pounds in a week when you first start this low carb thing and you start figuring - 8 lbs a week times two months equals skinny me in short order and when other people are saying they lost 50 pounds in 2 months, blah, blah, blah, but that is just not a reality for many of use. And, many of those people will then go off the diet and gain it all back. As a diabetic, you don't have the option of going off the diet. Stick with it. If you get your blood sugar levels down, your doctor may be willing to stop or reduce some of your meds.
Hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:40

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Hi Lucy M.
I know its not easy to hear, it takes as long as it takes,
but its true. We're glad you are here and do stick with
it and you will see great results. The weight will go with
the resolution of the health problems.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 13:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Lucy!

Try not to get discouraged. It's a hard fact but it seems to be more difficult for diabetics to lose weight than others and you may be one of those that needs to pay closer attention to portion sizes as well as carb counts to get those pounds to shift.
I know you are following Atkins, but a good book for you to pick up and read is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution Diet. It's low carb specifically for diabetics and has a lot of very good information regarding diabetes, low carb, how to handle special situations (such as sick days) and does include a chapter on weight loss in which Dr. Bernstein recommends cutting back on your protein portions to lose weight. Just be careful not to cut back so far that you are losing a lot of your lean body mass along with the fat. I believe that Dr. Bernstein states that most adults require at least 9 ounces of good quality protein each day. Even if you choose not to follow Dr. Bernstein's plan, it's very good information to have on had to refer to.
You can try tinkering with your proportions a bit (less protein, more fat, or a few more carbs and a bit less fat and protein) and see what effect, if any, it has on you. Otherwise, try to keep your focus for now on getting and maintaining good blood sugar control.
It's hard work and it can be frustrating at times, but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded with not only picture-perfect blood sugars, but a shrinking waistline as well.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:59

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Lucy M...from what I have read Actos is inclined to retain fluid, and thus may actually cause a gain in weight. Another point is that when you first lose weight your body makes up for it with a bit of extra fluid. When it realises this is no longer required "Ooops I made a mistake" it stops over-reacting, and your weight loss may resume. I wish Metformin people would pay me for saying this, but I think it, coupled with as much non-stop 'ordinary' walking --30 mins at a time for example, three of four times a day (along the footpath outside your home, room to room inside..doesn't matter--NON-STOP is the key)........AND gradually get the carb content of your day down, will see you on the road to your goal. Eve