Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 211/189/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Strange question??

Ok, this may sound off-the-wall, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am noticing that my fat, mainly when sitting, like in the bleachers at my sons football games, does not feel so compacted. It used to be when I sat down, if I felt it, it was hard and didn't give much. Now, it's almost like the fat has losened up. Anyone know what is going on? Or am I just crazy?
Thanks,
La Vonna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lavonna. Not a strange question at all. My guess is that the difference is water. Carbs take a lot of water to store. Most people are slightly "puffy" from it to some degree. Once you get rid of them, that water gets flushed away.

I believe there's more to the water/fat issue, like the way your fat cells fill with water... I'll see if I can find that thread.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:16
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default fat loosening up???

apparently you haven't done too much successful dieting if this is the first time you are experiencing that.
It has always happened with me though the other diets, WW and a self-made up one, resulted in quicker weight loss................followed by weight gain.
With Atkins, which I have been on since April, the fat loosened up fairly quickly and when added to loose skin, has made a bowlful of jelly beans. It used to be a bowlful of solid lard.
It's a nice change though I'm hoping my 7-day-a-week trips to Gold's Gym will eventually pay off and tighten up some of the mess that is starting to surround me. (It may be a mess, but at least it is a lot smaller mess!!!!!!!!).
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:58
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, aparently I haven't done a lot of successful dieting. I do think I remember this happening one other time, but I didn't pay much attention to it. This is the most amazing experience. I have not felt deprived once and I've been doing this 2 1/2 months. I have been walking about 40 minutes every day and am so happy with this w.o.l. I will never go back to my carb-laden w.o.e. I just hate it though, when someone asks what I am doing and I have to make it sound like a diet. To me, it's not a diet. Just a BETTER way to eat.
Thanks for the input folks. I noticed the change in the way my fat feels, about a week or so ago. I just like to think of it as, it's losening up and getting ready to leave my body.
La Vonna
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I'm not trying to negate what everyone has said about the fat loosening up, but one thing I've always noticed is that after a few pounds my pants are a lot looser which makes the fat seem looser when I sit down whereas before it was held pretty tight by my pants, LOL.

Maybe next time someone asks what you're doing to lose weight, just tell them, I'm eating sensible: low carb, more meats, more veggies, and in doing so feeling so much better and losing weight to boot!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 15:04

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Actually, my fat seems jigglier - if there is such a word. Just jigglier. I know it's going to disappear one day, but meanwhile the jiggles when I walk - well, it could tend to get on my nerves after awhile. I'm not used to my body jiggling.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 15:41
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

Exactly! Neither am I. And it's not just in my clothes when I notice it. I'm going to embrase this change! At least I know that something is happening with the fat, and like I said before, I'd like to think it's getting ready to be flushed out.....hey, it's my fantasy, let me enjoy it hu!
La Vonna
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 16:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Yup, I'm watching with great fascination as my belly pouch gets squishy and jiggly, then starts to disappear! I think the fat cells are lining up like lemmings..ready to follow each other over the cliff... now if they could do this without my BREASTS following, I'd be happier! <sigh>

Last edited by potatofree : Sat, Oct-11-03 at 16:16.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:07

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Cool shifting fat

Hi guys.

I see you too are noticing your body fat behaving very strangely. I too had notice the fat on my belly and my legs become first- much more obvious..second much softer and loose and thennn and thennn I blew my program...

so, I can't tell you what truly happens in the end of the story

But maybe we'll all find out together!!! I'm back on track and I hope never to fall off again.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:30
Registered Member

BF:

Darn it! This night just keeps getting worse. First my driver wins the NASCAR race.....which is a good thing, but I am left hanging when they don't even interview him in Victory Lane!!!! Now, I don't get to know what happens to the loose fat, and I have to wait to see . Good luck to you, glad you are back on, this time, you will get to see what happens to that fat.
Take Care.....
La Vonna
[img]Cocuments and SettingsLa Vonna HardinDesktoptstewart00_car.jpeg[/img]
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I can't believe that you said that your NASCAR driver won yesterday!! I am the only Tony Stewart fan in my house !!! That was truly an awsome race yesterday!! Anyway, I have noticed that my fat is really loose too. I read your replies hoping to hear something positive. I too am hoping that it is just turning into liquid oil and will be sweated out while I exercise. As a matter of fact that's what I picture when I am sweating!! One thing that is easier though...you can kind of tuck it into smaller tighter jeans now!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 14:04

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Cool hi again

I loved wearing smaller sizes and shopping for even smaller clothes at the thrift store. Which by the way- I would recommend to all you new people who may experience clothes fitting one week and too big the next...

I didn't like however, how my fat showed more when I wore shorts than it seemed to before...thank goodness we are going into cooler seasons...and as you say, we can squish into smaller jeans I guess thats not too helpful to you folks in the warmer climates, but its great for us who have very distinct seasons.

Anyway, try and keep and open mind about your body image- because it will change all in its own way and no matter how much you despair or delight about a weight loss in a particular place- it will happen just the way it wants to. So don't fret.

When I was unhappy with my look I had to walk away from that mirror and focus on the changes I made so far. Keep a old outfit and remind yourself what you used to look like.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 15:42
Registered Member

BF:

Who does the rest of your family like? Tony is my second driver, as Rusty has been my fav for 14 years. But I love Tony's attitude. I was glad he beat Ryan Newman, besides not liking him, I'm sick of seeing him win. And just to stay 'on topic'..... I'm grateful for all of the replies to this topic. I was beginning to feel like a freak. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 15:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LaVonna. Your image didn't work because you tried to link to your own computer. You can upload it to the forum's server. Here's how.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 15:47
Registered Member

BF:

BTW 3shewolf8....... you have dropped a lot of weight...nice work!
Are you close to the track out there? My sister traveled back to Michigan this year with her family to meet up with a girl she met in the Steve Park newsgroup. They went to the first Michigan race and had a blast. I'd love to travel back there and go to a race. I've been to Sears Point about 6 times and Vegas twice, but I'd really love to go somewhere back east. Have you been?