Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:14
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%
Default Well meaning comments

I know people think they mean well, but what posesses them to start telling me I'm thin enough? For crying out loud, what woman at five foot six is thin at 202 pounds? Is it fear that you may suddenly look better than them? Is it that they fear you are changing more than just your body? Are they jealous because they aren't successful in their chosen diet plan? I am getting tired of people at work telling me to slow down and be satisfied with how well I've already done. I AM happy with how far I've come, but know I can do even better. I really don't think 150# is too unreasonable a low to reach for. Lord knows i'm not reaching for 100#! Most of my co-workekrs are nurses and nursing assistants-several of which tell me every week they are worried about me. Sheesh! It's not like I bring it up either-I wait for their comments first before talking up Atkins.

Now please don't think I have an eating disorder-just don't go there. They just don't approve of Atkins and want me to lose weight slower. Heck-I've slowed to 5 pounds or less/month. I think that's plenty danged slow!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:35

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Neener - the poor fools. If they only knew about all of the delicious foods we can eat and still lose weight. They may be well-meaning, but I do understand exactly where you are coming from. You know what you are doing is putting you on track for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. They need to learn that. They may also be somewhat jealous because you are succeeding where no one thought you could on this "meat & cheese" diet! I haven't told anyone, including family members, that I'm doing this - just so I can avoid exactly what's bothering you.

You're doing great. I looked at your slideshow and the difference is tremendous. You look younger than 34 now - AH HAH! THAT'S IT - You're getting younger looking as they continue to age. Poor misguided people!!!

YOU GO GIRL!

shortstuff
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:53

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

What a beautiful smile at 206!
...and yes indeed, our change might be scary for others.
WTG girl!
Isiar
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:14
Whoosh me baby!

Thanks ladies, It is just frustrating feeling like I need to defend my diet choices all the time. I'm sure we will all go thru this one way or another.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Hey look at it this way - no one has told me I've lost too much! I'd LOVE to hear that!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:39
Whoosh me baby!

NYorker-some compliments come off empty when they are just plain nonsense. How can I have lost too much at this point? Sheesh! I don't want to hear that until I've lost the dimples in my a$$! They are just being nice...but it doesn't come off that way to me. It feels degrading really.

Last edited by hey_Neener : Sat, Oct-11-03 at 20:41.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:40

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

You know, I think its partially well meant comments but mostly a fear that brings these comments 'you are thin enough'.
Some really do see it as an innocent compliment, accepting us the way we are....but I feel like you that to the most part there is a jealousy involved and yes even the fear.
Not only that you may then be prettier than they, or wiill have mastered what they haven't been able to do as far as losing. But I also think the fear comes from not knowing "who" to expect once you have lost all that weight. Will you all relate the same way, will they/you look for different avenues, will you shine thru as successful now on the job as u actually deserved all along-which would hurt them.
I really think with weightloss comes a confidence and emancipation that we and the world around us have to get to know first.

I'd just tell them.....u aint seen nothin yet.....
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:45
Airy Cats Eyes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

They are just jealous that you are doing something for yourself that doesn't include them. You are succeeding without their help and input and I bet they are resentful.

When I started Atkins back in June, a woman told me 1) that she had tried it and lost and gained it all back in a couple of months and 2) that it caused cancer. Well, she had just had liposuction and a tummy tuck, just as a vanity thing, to get rid of the little roll she had. Her remarks really cut me because she was so instantly discouraging.
That's when I located this forum. I needed supportive words and not ignorant, hurtful words.

Ignore them Neener. Just keep doing what you're doing!
Eri
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:46
Whoosh me baby!

Bubu,
That's why they call me the "incredible shrinking Neener." Sad thing is tho, I've been at work for 7+ years and seen so many of us lose weight and gain it back. I have a feeling many are just waiting for me to gain the weight back. It will be a struggle to control myself once I head into OWL and later Maintenence, but hopefully my eating habits will be permanently changed by then. Lord knows I pretty much have Atkin's memorized by now. Here's to the next 50 pounds!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'd put it in the same category as the ones who roll their eyes whenever I answer someone ELSE'S question about my diet, when they have as much ore more to lose than I, but aren't doing anything about it.... their own issues.

I guess I'd just deliberately ignore their "don't lose more" statement and act as if it's a pure compliment. That way, if they meant it as a compliment, fine. If not, they'll know you aren't playing their game, or are playing it better!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:52

BF:

too bad lipo doesn't come with brain surgery as well.
It sure doesn't teach anything about character, stamina and the reward of having conquered . Not to mention change of eating habits.
Hurray for those who have it done and can still be sensitive and supportive of the world around them.
Besides missing out on meeting a bunch of great VIPs in here...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 20:56

BF:

Neener,
What a great motivator though.....their evil eyes upon you .....give it heck and prove them wrong.
I can't wait myself. I gained all this weight and people saw me more approachable for some reason, guess I wasn't a threat. I still won't be, but only I kow that haha
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Neener, I looked at your photo album the other day and let's just put it this way. I can only wish I looked as good as you do right now when I reach 202. I'm the same height you are, but you carry it sooo much better than I do!

HOWEVER, I don't see that you're too thin. For crying out loud, you'll reach a weight where you feel comfortable. So long as you're not trying to go too far down you'll be great!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:48
Whoosh me baby!

Thats why If anyone starts posting about me and aquiring an eating disorder because I'm too thin-I swear I'll post my flabby body for all to see. (please-nobody really wants to go there!)
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 22:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Janenne..I'll start it just for spite!!!

Honey, you look so thin.. are you sure you're not developing an eating disorder????

<run and hide>