Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Thread subjects: biggest turnoff

When you read a thread title, what's an example of the biggest turn off for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:39

Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

PMS?
whine?
bowel movements?
Let's hear it!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 00:23
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

"Help! I'm not losing!"
"cheated"
"what's wrong with me?"

and especially anything related to being new and not doing the required reading-but wanting us to write out the plan for them.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 05:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default It's a matter of perspective

I have a very different perspective. I don't look at titles as "do they turn me off". I look at them as "is this of interest to me" or "do I have something worthwhile to share on this topic". If not, I don't read it. If yes, I do.

We all have different interest points, curiosities and triggers. We all have different ways of interacting with this community. Some people pop in, stay behind the scenes and are voracious readers. Others are active posters, sharing a wealth of information, tips, thoughts and ideas. People interact here the way they feel most comfortable.

Sometimes responding to a "turn off post" could be the difference between losing someone who is struggling, and sharing that tiny tidbit of information that will help a poster find their way down a difficult path.

I guess the bottom line is we all have choices about which posts we read and respond to. We also have choices about how we title a post. We have good days and bad days. Some days we may have a difficult time expressing thoughts, and so a post title may not be appealing to someone else. The wonderful thing about this community is that no matter how well or poorly we ask for help, there is usually someone there with words of encourgement.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 15:28

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

"Frustated" "This is not working" "Stall"

Seems that many people who write these threads are doing something wrong. BUT BUT BUT...if anything, I am glad we have this forum to voice our frustrations because there are so many that can offer advice
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 00:01

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%

The ones that bug me (not just here) are the ones with totally non-descriptive titles like "question" or "Help" or "Hi" (except in the intro forum of course).

I would much rather have the title be descriptive so I'd know if I want to read about it or not.

"constipation" or "TOM" or "Ketosis halitosis" are much better, even if they're "things people don't really like to talk about" because I'd much rather know the post is about someones bad breath and not read it, then to take the time to read one that says "question" and then find out it's about someones bad breath. And not that I'm unwilling to post helpfull answers either, just that I'm usually here late at night and it's been answered by 6 people already.

Jeff

EDIT: the "STALL" thread title usually does kinda bug me too, because people are all like "I didn't lose any weight yesterday, help me get out of this stall"

Last edited by MetilHed : Sat, Oct-04-03 at 00:03.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 10:19
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I hesitate to really answer this one, because I don't want to discourage anyone from asking WHATEVER they need to know.

It is frustrating when people don't seem to want to do the required reading. There will always be some that want others to do the thinking for them, and seem to need to be given hourly feedback. There's still hope, though, that if they can gain some confidence they'll take off on their own.

Admittedly, I get put off by demanding titles and the posts that follow... "Help me NOW!" "I need answers." Then you see a post from them a half-hour later sniping about how nobody gave them the answer.....and the answers that may have BEEN posted aren't good enough.

Just like "real life" there are many personalities, and we won't always mesh well... that's why it's a good thing there are so many of us to offer help.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I've noticed there are very few really annoying posts on this board: do the moderators remove them?

Having said that, I suppose I'm turned off by thread titles that imply the poster has less than 5 pounds to lose. I've read a few posts my such people that are sympathetic, though, and my understanding that we all have eating problems has increased my tolerance.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are no thread titles that bug me per se, but... well, some advice to everyone: try to be specific in your subjects. No one could possibly read all of the new posts in a day, so it's a good idea to be specific. This way, the right people will take note and reply.

"Help" and "Question" are two examples of a bad subject. "Help With Drinking More Water" and "Question About Caffeine" will get you better answers.

Quest, posts aren't removed unless they violate the forum rules. I suppose "no annoying posts" would be a little too vague of a rule to adopt. If they're way off topic, they'll get moved to the appropriate area.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 07:36.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:15

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Quest, posts aren't removed unless they violate the forum rules. I suppose "no annoying posts" would be a little too vague of a rule to adopt. If they're way off topic, they'll get moved to the appropriate area.

I was thinking of posts that seem to have been planted for the purpose of stirring up trouble (and not just war zone type posts). Or ones in which people portray themselves as deeply ill, suicidal, etc for attention getting purposes (I know, it is difficult to tell when these are real or fake, but sometimes you have a pretty strong idea).
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 22:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey thanks Potatoefree, you saved me a bunch of typing, you said everything I was going to say! lol

Hey Wordlady, congrats you are at goal,
I have'nt seen you around much.

Cheers Kathy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 22:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

None really bother me, actually...

If people are in the pursuit of knowledge and info... then thats great...

I like to see people empowered with corect info and knowledge... it helps make them a better person...'

It all starts with a ?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 00:39

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I agree 100% with you Korry. It's kind of like the only question that is stupid is the one that goes unasked. I say whats it matter how the person asks? I suck with putting things into words and I'm sure others do too.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

originally posted by AngelaR:
Quote:
I have a very different perspective. I don't look at titles as "do they turn me off". I look at them as "is this of interest to me" or "do I have something worthwhile to share on this topic". If not, I don't read it. If yes, I do.
Ditto!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 19:11

Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I agree with Korry. If you think back to when you first started this WOE, didn't you have questions that now seem so obvious but at the time you were confused, even after reading the whole book?
The whole benefit of a board like this is to make people feel welcome and comfortable. Don't scare people away by making them feel like their questions are "annoying"!!!