Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 10:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Got Winter Cravings?

Cravings are naturally stronger in winter. Insulin levels are naturally higher and fat is easier to put on. These things have less to do with the individual and more to do with a natural seasonal cycle. SAD, the Discontent of Our Winter
Many people are affected by seasonal changes who don't necessarily suffer full blown SAD. I thought this might be helpful in the general forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 12:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for posting that Zuleikaa! I never paid much attention to this until last year when I noticed that my cravings got much worse about the end of October and that it was very difficult for me to lose weight during the winter. As a matter of fact, due to some bad dietary choices last winter, I gained 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New Year and it took me until almost May to lose it again. This year, I just seem to be holding steady and not losing and it makes sense why. I think I'll be doing good if I can just maintain through the winter months and resume losing again in the spring. I'll try to look at this in a positive way; at least I'm not gaining and I know I would be if I weren't eating the way I am.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yes, I've been doing the 5-lb bounce this week and, since I haven't added carbs or changed my way of eating, I'm assuming it's a winter thing. I agree, hold on till spring. It's only 2 or 3 months away - right?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 19:57

Plan: CALP
Stats: 149/142.5/100 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I used to have that problem. Now I take 3 mcg of Melatonin and it seems to have stopped.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 11:19

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

YES!!!! And here I thought I was losing my mind...it couldn't have been PMS for over a month, now could it! Seriously though, I have noticed the past while that once the weather changes and winter sets in, I tend to crave more of the starchy stuff (when in the summer months I can walk away much more easily) and more often! Thank goodness I don't work near a bakery!

I also have a much harder time getting rid of any weight even when sticking to induction. I'm trying to keep this re-assuring thought as I start LC for the second time.... thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 18:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Oh yeah,
I forgot to mention another great thing about winter cravings. Even smells can set you off. Especially frying and sweet smells/spicy smells! Even room freshener!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 09:00
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I thought this might be topical for those of us dealing with cravings now.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 12:26
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

SAD is a fact of life up here. The winters are COLD and long, and it gets dark at about 4 or 5 pm in the middle of winter..<shudder>

Last winter, I was able to quit smoking (BAD timing...) and not gain the 30-40 lbs I usually do when quitting. THIS winter, I'm out of work, and without my teenage daughter, so the boy and I will have to tough it out ourselves! I'm dreading it, but there's nothing I can do about it but endure it!!

I've been thinking about the light therapy for it, but it's expensive, and insurance won't cover it...<shrug>
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 13:04
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I have an insane craving for a warm fuzzy sweater! Sheepskin slippers would be in order too. Oh, and I just put more blankets on my bed and a warm throw for my chair. I am so flipping cold and the weather is still warm! I haven't been affected yet by winter cravings-but I'm sure I will as the holidays come closer. I love to bake and will have a hard time not tasting everything. Don't think I'll skip the baking...it's what makes the holidays special for me-I have a lot of people who look forward to my goodies.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 20:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I hate winter. I get big time SAD.

Why couldn't they split Canada and the US North to South instead of East to West?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 20:24
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Neener-- if you can do the holiday baking you always have without putting yourself in peril, you're a stronger woman than I am.....

Last winter, I just decided that I'll have to show them I love them in a way that doesn't involve 10 kinds of cookies. You know what? They lived!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 20:34
Whoosh me baby!

I do frosted sugar cookies, chocolate dipped pecan pie squares and peanut butter uglies (bon bons). They are the bare minimum. I probably won't go whole hog with the others this year. I make them the day before-so they won't be sitting around asking to be eaten before or after Christmas because the plates are always picked clean. I can survive one carb laden night with relish! Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 21:53

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

I, too, do a lot of holiday baking....both the "usual" cookies/treats that I do every year...plus I also enjoy trying out "new" recipes. However, this will be my first Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas (they all seem to run into each other as one big feast-fest) as a low-carber....which should prove to be interesting! :P

So far, I've managed to "weather" through a couple of birthdays, graduations, and even a baby shower without any trouble....heck, my son's birthday was today, made him a yellow cake w/ homemade choc frosting....and wasn't even tempted! Now, THAT'S a first for me!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 22:22
Whoosh me baby!

I have made a few cakes since low carbing, and done ok-but try to avoid putting myself in those situations. I enjoy baking too much to give it up. Doesn't mean I have to eat it myself-although moderation isn't going to kill me. I like my new way of life too much to stray too far.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 01:18

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I had never baked bread or cakes or biscuits (cookies to you) BEFORE low carbing.
Now I am a dab hand with almond flour, soya flour and protein powder and turn out everything from ginger biscuits to chocolate cake!
Low carbing doesn't mean you stop baking - it just means you change the ingredients!