Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default impossible amount of calories

hi i am new here, been doing the diet for about 6 days now but i have a question about the calories and the 10X your weight thing. am i really supposed to eat 3000 calories?? this is impossible. i can barely even eat 1500 and i am getting lightheaded sometimes bc of it. what should i strive for??? ANY advice would be great since i have to get my book back (lent it out).

i just cant bring myself to eat any more fat/protein without gagging or getting too many carbs. i'll take any suggestions. thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 09:16

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

The way I understand it, is you should be eating somewhere between 10x your goal weight and your basal metabolic rate (which will decrease as you lose weight).

I like to vary my calorie intake on a day-to-day basis, fluctuating between 1200 and 2000 calories.

On days when I need to get some extra calories in, I'll add olive oil to my menu - either in cooking something or as a dressing/topping. A tablespoon of olive oil has about 120 calories, most of it mono- and poly- unsaturated fat. Butter also adds about 100 calories per tablespoon, but it's mostly saturated fat.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 10:31
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Don't worry about the calories right now... keep it simple. If you follow the induction guidelines, eating the allowed foods in amounts that leave you satisfied, but not stuffed, you'll be fine.

I'm not a believer in trying to stuff in more food than your body wants. That's what got me to the unhealthy weight I was at!!!!!

While it IS important not to severely restict calories, listen to your body. The best thing about eating low-carb is that it will get you back in touch with the way your body is SUPPOSED to work!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 11:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins states to eat around 10-12x your current weight, only if you are not losing by anyother means, or if you are eating way to few calories.

As long as you are losing, ignore calories completely. If you notice though a stall, or if you drop way to low on calories, then maybe pay attention to them. Counting carbs is enough for most, and when opsessing with calories start, suddenly this WOE goes from enjoyable to a complete hassle.

For now, eat when hungry. Make yourself small servings, then analyze if you are full or still hungry. When you are satisfied, stop. It's ok to leave some on your plate, and it's ok to go back for seconds if you desire. Let your body be your guide so you learn to listen to it better. Stress the small stuff later
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 13:39

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:

Hi Eve. It might be a good idea to start a journal and enter your menus. This way, people can give you better advice as to what might be of help to you.

At your current weight, 1500 may not be enough food for you to prevent any metabolic issues. Later during your loss, that number might be good. I agree that you shouldn't stress over calories at this point, but if you start a journal and list your menus, there are a lot of seasoned members that could give you some good tips.

Good luck!

Kristi
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:

thanks for all your advice and imput. kristi i do actually have the atkins book where you put in your meals every day for...i think 6 months? i also do fit day (i like the pie chart). but you hit my biggest worry on the head. it is that my body is going to want to hoard the stored fat if i dont eat enough calories. i havent weighed myself yet though bc i feel so good i dont want to be disappointed.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Unless you drop below your basal for an extended period, your body won't cling to bad. I find I do ok unless I go below 1200 calories a day.

I would stay above 1500, at least for now until your closer to goal. If your hungry all the time, then by all means up it, or at least up the fat % to feel sated longer.

If you are having problems keeping calories up, you can start to suppliment with oils. Having 3 tbsp a day of flax oil or coconut oil can have multiple health benifits. Also sticking to the fatty meats such as beef, pork, and dark poultry can really up the fat and cals.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 00:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm trying to keep the fat intake fairly high, which isn't hard for me as I love the taste it imparts to food.
Elaine