Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Salads versus other vegetables

Is it possible to do a low carb diet and not eat much salad? I brought a salad to work with me yesterday and was going to start the low carb diet and I couldn't eat it. Just the thought of having to eat a lot of salads made me sick. I do like other vegetables such as broccoli, green beans and cauliflower. My sister and I went on a low carb diet at the same time and she has lost close to 50 pounds since the middle of June. I only lost 10 pounds. I was the one who talked her into starting the diet and while I am happy and proud that she was able to have success, I am feeling like a failure. I know that she ate a lot of salads and I ate a lot of the breakfast bars and low carb candy bars when I felt the need for a treat. I also know that she totally stuck to real foods. I need to do something about this extra weight, but I can't bear the thought of failing again and, like I said, the thought of having to go back to a lot of salads is discouraging me already.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I see no reason why you have to eat "salad" as long as you are eating plenty of vegetables. There's a huge list of vegetables that are appropriate to a low carb diet. You do need to pay attention to the nutrients and fiber that you are getting from your vegetables to make up for what's missing if you exclude the green, leafy stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:23
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think the key is that she "totally stuck to real foods". If you don't like salad, there's no harm in substituting other allowed veggies, just be mindful of the amounts.

The bars and things are okay for an occasional trest, but I'd suggest cutting them out for a couple of weeks altogether. I bet you'll start losing faster, as the DO tend to make SOME people stall... you may be one of them.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:28

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

doing induction, I was under impression by the book that 1 cup of salad is the way to go. Other veggies during induction you can't eat as much of I thought.
Heck I love my salad with Ranch w/bacon or Mister C's Italian or Paul Newmans oil and vinegar. I even eat salad with breakfast! I think it helps get me to my next meal longer, and gives me extra fat from the dressing.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:52
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
doing induction, I was under impression by the book that 1 cup of salad is the way to go. Other veggies during induction you can't eat as much of I thought.

Hi Kevins7189,

Sounds to me as though you have a copy of one of the older editions of Dr Atkins' book.

The latest (2002) edition says to have either 3 cups salad or 2 cups salad and 1 cup other vegies, as per the list in the book. You can also find this information on www.atkins.com

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 23:34

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I'm not a big salad fan either and so I haven't had hardly any salad, just other regular veggies, just being sure to count the carbs. I have had more than the 1C. allotted to other veggies since I have began as well. I don't believe that low carb veggies can be harmful!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 05:19

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these veggies if salad does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

I got it confused with the other list