Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/213/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Need advice quick? Please help

Hi everyone,
A little history first. My mother and I are both doing Atkins and are in OWL. We are at the six weeks mark. I have lost 22 pounds and she has lost 16. I am 59, she is 77. We are doing great! But today we found out that the green leafy vegetables we are eating is affecting the coumadin she has to take because of a valve replacement in her heart. I am looking for suggestions for alternatives to leafty green vegetables. It seems to be making her blood thicker and that puts her in danger. She doesn't want to quit and I don't either, any suggestions. Also while I am here, we don't eat cheese on any kind and that has limited our food choices and now vegetables may be eliminated. We may be in trouble. HELP! HELP!
On the positive side we have found a store locally that sells everything suggested on the board. Some we liked like the Atkins muffin mixes. Some of the Delight chocolate bars are OK. The Food for Life bread is terrible, it's like chewing on a sponge. I tried some Atkins white bread that was a little better, but not much. The tortillas suggested on the board were the best thing we tried. I am open to any suggestions, receipes etc.
Thanks,
Mysstic
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:42
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guess I'd switch to broccoli or cauliflower, green beans... what exactly did the doctor say about the leafy greens that was interacting with the coumadin (which is a blood thinner, correct?)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 20:35

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

This is strange because my DH was on comidan for awhile and they told him that the green veggies like spinach, etc. would thin the blood more but when he asked about being on Atkins the doctor told him as long as he wasn't eating more than he usually did or a huge amount it wouldn't matter. He was on induction at the time so he wasn't getting that much...maybe that is the difference. Did her doctor test her and tell her that her blood was too thin or was this some layperson saying these things? I only ask because I have been told soooo much misinformation by well meaning people since doing Atkins. If her doctor said this then I would definitely listen to him or her. I hope you don't have to quit the diet. Congratulations on your wonderful success so far!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 22:21

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi Mysstic--

A cardiac nurse tells me that leafy green veggies do interact with Coumadin, to make it less effective at thinning the blood. This can be a very serious issue for patients who have had valve replacements.

OTOH, there are a number of Atkins-friendly options available to you, and the range of options is better for you...considering that you are both well-past Induction.

I believe you will find that bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, bell peppers, eggplant, green beans, mushrooms, onions, pumpkin, scallions, summer squash, tomatoes, turnips, wax beans and water chestnuts are all acceptable options as side-dishes. (Check with your doc or a nutritionis/dietician, to make absolutely sure.)

I am 90% certain that artichoke hearts, celery, cucumbers, daikon, hearts of palm, jicama, leeks, radishes and zucchini are also permitted but, again, I would check with your doc to be certain.

You are both to be congratulated for your great progress...keep up the good work!

Check with your doc regarding your ingredient list, then check the recipe pages on this site...I think you will find many appealing dishes that will meet your special needs, and allow you to continue this WOE.

Last edited by geo53562 : Wed, Oct-01-03 at 10:12.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 01:23
Registered Member

Stats: 249/213/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

First of all thank you all for responding so quickly. The issue with coumadin as I understand it is the vitamin K that is in the vegetables, especially broccoli and cauliflower.
Yes the information is coming from her doctor. She has to have her blood tested every two weeks to maintain a safe level. If her blood is too thick it will stop the blood from flowing through the valve, too thin and she could bleed out if cut, or injured. Thanks everyone for the variety of vegetables listed. Some we are trying, and others we will try.
Also thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It means a lot. We really want to this become our WOE as we are both way overweight and I am severly insulin resistant. Thanks so much. Mysstic
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:37

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i know on fitday.com when you look up vegtables they have a section for green leafy veggies, and one for green non leafy, and another one for other veggies. you can look at that list for some more ideas.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

Please consult the family physician on this, because he/she would know most of the past medical history/family history, etc...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:35
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm glad you're both taking control of things! At 77, especially... it really never is to late to make a difference. I know too many ladies around your mother's age that just give up. She has so many good years ahead of her, it's great to see she isn't planning on wasting any of them!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 14:07

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysstic
First of all thank you all for responding so quickly. The issue with coumadin as I understand it is the vitamin K that is in the vegetables, especially broccoli and cauliflower....[snip]Mysstic

My understanding is that the Vitamin K found in many green leafy vegetables increases the clotting factor of blood, thus working against the action of the coumadin (trying to reduce the clotting factor). If you would like to continue to eat these veggies, and you are willing to keep your veggy intake at a constant level, it is possible for your doc (maybe in conjunction with a dietician or nutritionist) to adjust your coumadin dosage upwards to allow a "balance" between these actions. This puts a burden on you to make sure your intake of these foodstuffs does not fluctuate too wildly, but does allow for greater variety in your diet. Talk this over with your doc...I'm certain he/she will be willing to work with you to accomodate your food preferences.

Hope this helps.