Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/180/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Lost two pounds after swearing I couldn't

Finally!

With a heave and a groan of protest, the scale finally gave up two pounds. I know it hates dropping! So now after almost a month of induction, I've lost 5 pounds. I'm full of questions for the veteran dieters.

Will I always be high-resistant?

Should I just stay in induction? I mean, if the weight is this resistant with induction, won't it just stop all together if I go off it? And YES! I know, I know, it's a WOE, not a diet, but I have to confess, I don't enjoy induction - it's hard to find stuff to eat and for the first time in my life I have to force myself to eat MORE! But like I've said on the intro board, it DOES feel good to not be a hostage to my cravings for sugar/carbs.

What is the low-down on Stevia? Are you able to have more because it's sweeter?

Are the Atkins bars and Keto products EVER going to be an option?

Is half & half OK? Is heavy cream better than light cream? I have to confess that the heavy cream is a bit much for me in my morning decaf.

And finally, I'm having breast reduction surgery in a month. Is it safe to stay on Aktins? Should I ask for no whatever it's called - the sugar stuff they IV in you?

This is a great board. Thank you for all the welcomes and info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:12
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It doesn't hurt to stay in induction for awhile longer if you can. I had to stay on induction for about 6 months...

As you go through OWL, the other foods can be a good treat once in a while. There's a good "Products Forum" to help you decide which, if any to use.

I still say heavy cream is better than half-n-half. I can get by with just a splash of cream. Some even "stretch" the cream a bit with water to make it more like half-n-half.

As for the surgery, the IV fluids aren't really negotiable. It is possible to stay on lc, while healing, but I would recommend a maintenance level, though. Strict induction AND healing may be kind of hard on your body. JMHO
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

With stevia, don't use more

1/3 tsp of stevia = 1 cup of sugar (I'm talking the pure stevia extract) If you use to much you get a nasty bitter taste.

I have found the pure extract in powder form the easiest to use., and the best tasting I also have the liquid and the packets where it is mixed with fiber. With the stevia being so sweet I basicaly dip my finger in and sprinkle a few granuals into coffee. Those few granuals can sweeten an entire large mug.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Hi Chryslin

I just had surgery 3 wks ago and I am a diabetic. Just when they started to remove my IV bag, the nurse asked me why I was on a dextrose (sugar) solution when I am a diabetic. I told her that was their job to check that and not mine. She told me there is an IV solution that does not contain sugar so maybe you could ask for that when you get prepped for surgery.

Also, potato-free gave me the same advice when I was recovering from my surgery. Maybe a maintenance level while recuperating would be better so as not to stress out your system too much.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 20:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

chryslin,

I have been on induction pretty much the entire time. I figured why not stick with it, and get it "over with" in 6 months, instead of a year and a half.

Just make sure that you are drinking plenty of water. You might need to start excercising some, too. Even a little bit, like 20 situps a day or 20 pushups a day will help a lot.

TC
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 10:03
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

You can ask for Normal Saline (the non sugar stuff) but some drugs do need to be diluted in a dextrose (sugar) solution-but many times it's optional and the nurse or hospital pharmacist can let you know.