Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Backpain-has anyone else had this?

Hi everyone

I have been experiencing back pain, kidney area and lower for the last four days. Has anyone else had problems with this? I really noticed it on Saturday, we spent the day in Intensive Care for my mom in law and I did not get the usual amount of water that I usually drink. But I really slammed them when I got home and Sunday made sure to drink more than usual too. Otherwise my water is good. Does anyone know what kidney infection feels like? Otherwise I have been kind of constipated (took two Correctal last night looking for some relief) could that cause the pain? I have never felt this type of soreness before when I have been constipated. I may have strained my back while moving a recliner also. I am leaving on vacation on Thursday and I don't want to ignore it if it may be a infection. Does anyone know if you take Aleve and you have kidney infection would the pain go away or what? I have taken Aleve and the soreness feels better so I am hoping it is a strained muscle. What are the symptoms of kidney infection?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:17
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Hiya!
I've had similar problems for the last week or so too... I am also hoping it's a muscle strain!

Steven
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:26

Stats: 265/254/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Oooh! SAme thing here. A few months ago, I woke up to really bad pain in the lower back. I was worried, at first, as I had a run with kidney stones at the first of the year, but it felt more like a strain. I was thinking slipped disc.

I even went to a neurologist to get checked out, but nothing "physically" wrong, according to the x-rays.

What worked for me was to go to your local Doc-in-a-box and get a script for an anti-inflammatory. Took it right away in a day or so.

Hmmm...now I'm wondering what it could be...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:29
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

I was gonna go visit my chiropractor Still might do that
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Low back pain is unlikely to be associated with kidney problems. The kidneys are located higher up and to the sides .. pain typically radiates to the sides, the so-called "flank" region of your lower rib cage.

Check out this post about low-back pain .. there are some suggestions that might be helpful.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 09:36

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am really beginning to think that it may be muscle strain. It seems to be more in my lower back right now, but I have popped three Aleve's since waking at 5 this morning. I am relieved to hear that the kidney concern seems to be ok. I just did not want to be in another state and have to try to find a doc.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 09:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I can empathize with sitting around hospital and ICU waiting rooms, long car trips back and forth ... and resulting low back pain. The muscles do contract from long periods of sitting, especially in chairs with poor support for the upper back.

Aleve should help for sure. Another thing you can do (well, maybe not at work, unless you have a private place ) is to lie down on your back and pull your knees into your chest. Use your arms to hug your legs, but don't raise your neck or shoulders up. Just let it be a gentle stretch for your low back & buttocks ... try to hold it for as long as you can, and don't hold your breath. If it's too difficult to get both knees up, then one leg at a time is good too.

Doreen