Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:06

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%
Question What makes me cheat????

I'm so tired of cheating....I don't seem to be able to make it for more than 3 or 4 days without cheating. So, naturally, I'm not losing anything. I stay on the plan for a few days, and then something comes up. Like going out to eat at a restaurant--and even though I order something perfectly legal, someone else has something else that I just have to have a taste of! It might be just a bite or two of a white roll or a "better" cheat with a whole wheat tortilla.

How do you go cheat free for a long time? What's the motivation? Of course I want to lose; I want to buy new clothes---I need to and I don't want to buy a 16 anymore!

I wish ya'll would give me some tips on staying on the plan. There are so many times when I just want a taste of something that I love. Or everyone else is eating cake and ice cream and I don't want to be left out.

And how do you get your "cheatfree medallion" on your signature?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

Sara, I know you can do this! This is the first time I started Atkins without planning my next cheats. I think what is different this time is if I don't physically taste one itty bitty piece of sugar or flour, I don't have the cravings. Once that taste gets on your tongue it is SO hard to not give in...an addict's response. When you first begin try to EAT an absolutely ton, don't let yourself get hungry for a minute...eat rich, fatty, and satisfying meals! Don't think for a minute this seems like a lot of food. Soon your body will be satisfied the craving for sweets/carbs will be gone. It may take a lot of mental strength to say no to begin with, but soon it will be natural if you can make it 2 weeks without cheating. Also, try to stay away from trigger restaurants. I am now finally able to go to Red Lobster without feeling unsatisfied because I didn't get a bisquit. I eat lots of shrimp and a caear salad (no croutons) and feel great.

Good luck! YOU CAN DO IT!

Elle
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I cannot cheat because I want to loose the weight. If I cheat I sabatage myself and myself alone. I am not hurting anyone but me!! And I am to important to cheat on myself. Only you can decide not to cheat. You need to find those stressors that cause you to go over the edge. Once you figure those out eliminate them. If you cant handle a resturant dont go. If you cant handle a food in the house tell your family it has to go. You are as important as they are and they can give up a food or two for your health.
Evaluate your plan. Are you eating sugar free candys?
Eating low carb breads? Shakes? Eating these things can for some lead to cheating. Not all but some. I choose to stay away from SF candy. How many calories are you eating? Geting in enough fat? Fat makes you full and if full you will cheat less. I am not saying I will never break down and cheat. We are all human. If you cheat forgive yourself and jump right back on!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 09:23

Stats: 260/260/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hear ya' MamaSara!

I started Atkins in 8/02 and lost 56lbs over the next 10 months. I did not cheat once. Not even a bite of non-Atkins approved food. I figured once I did I would be done for. I could not have been more right. It is all my sister’s fault (notice how I deflect blame away from myself ). She came to visit me for a week this summer. She and I are both on Atkins. It was her 40th birthday so we decided to go out an celebrate, not only her birthday but our success on the plan. I splurged. I had pasta, cheesecake, wine, chicken parm, you name it. The problem was the next day we talked ourselves into having a “real” breakfast with “real” French toast and syrup. Just to cheat a little we decided then get right back on track. Then lunch came and we talked ourselves into one last cheat. That night we decided to have one last final cheat. And so on, and so on. Needless to say, that was 3 months ago and I’m still cheating one last time and have gained 23lbs back!!!!

Today, I decided to get back on track after having one final, last, super deluxe primo absolute cheat last night. To be honest, I don’t feel any different that I did the last time I had a “final cheat” but I just know I need to stop and get back on program. I don’t want Atkins to be a diet. It was not for me when I was losing – it was a way of life. I can live without donuts every day (sometimes twice a day) and I can live without Ben and Jerry’s ice cream nightly as a “cheat” for 3 weeks straight. I know I can. Lots of people do.

Ian559 makes a good point above – cheating = sabotage. I am going to become a recovering food addict like I was when I started this plan. I am going to attack my cheating like an alcoholic does booze. I just need to not cheat. Pure and simple. Others may not agree with me, but for me, I am an addict and I have to remember that, even when all I can think about is fried scallops. Some people will say that you should not deprive yourself from the food you are really craving because you will want it more. Would we tell a recovering alcoholic to just have a sip of beer? It is the same thing in my book. Cheating = sabotage. I hope this makes sense and doesn’t sound too preachy.

Good luck!

(ps…I have no idea how to do the medallion-sorry)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 09:39

Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default I needed this

Its funny how a topic that I needed came up today. I am just back from a few weeks of cheating. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and stuck with the plan until the surgery and I got messed up with the dextrose IV they gave me in the hospital. I was already struggling with the wol because I was starting to eat "Atkins Approved" bagels, bread, etc and that was my downfall. After induction, instead of adding vegetables, I added low carb bread products and I got seriously stuck and lost no weight. I was getting really frustrated, not in ketosis, etc. I think I am just one of those people who cant eat very many carbs at all. Plus, I am homebound recovering from the surgery and put that all together and a cheat was bound to happen.

Today I am beginning on induction again and I am also adding some weight training and walking. I started Jorge Cruise 8 Mins in the Morning today and I hope that the introduction of exercise might help me stay more focused. Thanks to all of you for your input. You are invaluable to me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/232/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

mamasara,
I stuggle with the same thing. I noticed though that if you have your kitchen full of good foods and dont let yourself go hungry, and eat foods you enjoy(low carb of course), you will more likely stay on track. The times I find it most difficult is when I'm low on food, and dont eat enough, or dont eat things I enjoy. Perhaps you are cheating because you feel deprived...so eat something thats low carb and yummy, and dont worry about how much your eating at first, even if it seems like a lot. good luck
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:33

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Food is like any other addiction. You think, "this one won't hurt." To an alcoholic, just one drink opens the door... same with food.

This diet sets us apart at family gatherings, restaurants, work. Temptation will always be there for us. I have sabotaged myself for years with bad food choices. I remind myself all the time how I want to grow old and see my grandchildren. I remind myself that nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.

Rewarding yourself for your accomplishment is very important. I reward myself at the end of the day with a small bowl of low-carb sugar free ice cream. This makes me feel like I'm cheating, when I'm not... not really. Find something to reward yourself with... have your hair done, a manicure, pedicure, clothes shopping for those smaller sizes. When you're tempted to cheat, drink a great big glass of water... or take a walk... or get on this board. Everyone here has been there, done that!

Keep fighting the good fight.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:34

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i have just gotten through my 1st weekend on induction - for months now, that's what got me every time - the weekend. my boyfriend would cook great stuff on the grill (potatos, garlic bread, etc) or we'd go out for sushi... i just couldn't make it through.

2 things helped me this weekend. first, i looked at my profile in the mirror the other day and realized i look pregnant - i can't wear most of my clothes now. this is not what i want to look like.

so this is the other thing that helped me: i told myself, "this is the last week that i will be at this weight. this time next week, it will be different (lower)."

did not cheat, not once. you really do have to tell yourself, "i don't eat that anymore."
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:45

Thanks for the help, ya'll. It's nice to know so many people understand!

Ian, I think I'm hurting someone besides myself when I cheat! When I told dh I wanted to eat a leftover donut, he said I could if he could move out for 2 days! That's really not so funny. He doesn't mind my weight, but he does mind the misery I put us all through when I cheat.

The only LC product I use is Atkins shakes and 85% cocoa bars during PMS. Everything else starts up my cravings. And I really do eat a lot; I don't try to curb my intake much when I'm trying to be cheat free. I know that after a long stretch of behaving myself, my intake naturally comes down and I don't eat as much at or between meals.

I think I have to set some goals for myself. I'll get a manicure after 5 lbs., etc. I want to lose all this weight by my 40th birthday next August. The sooner I stop sabotaging myself, the sooner I'll do it!

Keep the tips coming! I still want to hear from some folks with those medallions!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:40

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Seeing the scale go down is my motivation. Just take it one week at a time. Shoot for 7 days no cheat, then another 7...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I agree with Ian559, if there's a food or situation that leads you to cheat, avoid it. Set yourself up for success, not failure.

I know not everyone is a fan of Dr Phil, but I'm currently reading his book, and it addresses all the traps we set for ourselves. Since implementing just a FEW of his suggestions, my impulse eating and habitual snacking is all but a memory. It's really helped me stop talking myself into a cheat, as well as letting OTHERS lead me astray! It really goes into breaking the internal monologue we all carry on, and how to change it to HELP instead of hinder my weight-loss efforts.

I've already dropped another pound this week, after a long time of not losing,and I credit the work I've done with the book's help for getting me back on track...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:02
Registered Member

Stats: 185/151.2/135 Female 67 inches
BF:36%/17%/12%
Progress: 68%

I believe cheating makes you cheat!!

Hate to say it but "you're only cheating yourself!" It's true. I was doing so well, and then had an ice cream cone and now I just want to get that great lean feeling back -- and get these cravings to go away!

We can do it!!!!

I won't sabotage myself like that again.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:19

Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Mommasara,
I know its hard. But, only you can help yourself. I am not a Dr. Phil fan (Cant stand to see him) But his new book makes sense about addiction. If cheating is hurting you and those around you the its a true addiction. Just like a alcoholic. Just like someone who abuse booze and drugs you have to find what causes that behavior. Then eliminate it end of story. I am not trying to sound hard. I weigh 364lbs. I am a food addict. I consider myself on the wagon. Have I fallen off? No not this time. In the past?
Yes everytime..... It hurt me. It hurt my wife. It hurt my kids. I was depressed when I cheated. I was nasty.
Its staying on plan that makes me happy. Loosing all this assfat is what makes me happy. Anytime I want to cheat I just tell myself that I will be dead before my kids grow up. I ask myself is this bite is better than not seeing my son graduate cause I'm dead. You know everytime the answer is no that bite of food not worth it. You need to find a motivation that is like that but fits your own world. I will not even bite a piece of pasta to see if its done cooking for the wife and kids.
All this is working for me. I hope this helps. I have never said any of this to anyone before (Even my wife) but I just had to this time.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

MamaSara6
One thing that I had to do with many situations in life was to change the way I spoke to myself about things. Stop being negative (in my head) and start reinforcing positive thoughts about myself. For example "I CAN'T have any birthday cake because of this %($&~# diet. It's NOT FAIR!" ... if that sort of thought were to pop into my head I would immediately catch myself and think STOP! (very forcefully, as I would if I were scolding a child about to make a life-threatening mistake ... because our negative thoughts can set us up for terrible consequences).

Then I would "rethink" what I had just heard myself say and imagine erasing the negative thought and then I would replace that thought with something like "I CAN have "such and such" (depending on what's available) and I WILL feel GREAT about myself for doing it and I WILL look so GOOD because I WILL DROP THE WEIGHT and LOOK GREAT TOO!"

I have literally "reprogramed" the way I think. It takes a little time and effort but it is well worth it.

Also, you should always remember to talk good to and about yourself. Pat yourself on the back when you make good choices! You deserve to not cheat and to feel good about it!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 05:48

Thumbs up

You guys are so right! Ian, I'm definitely an addict---I grew up with an alcoholic stepfather and attended AA, Al-anon, Ala-teen. During college, and since, I've always consciously avoided alcohol during times when I "needed" it. But I'm sure that I substituted carbs for the alcohol! Now I see the danger of that!

I'mhere: I'm also trying to reprogram my thinking. I find myself saying I was "bad" yesterday or "good" when I was really just off or on the plan! I also need to get it through my head that not eating cake with everyone else doesn't make me less important or less special. I guess it's real self-esteem issues that I wasn't aware of. Not having dessert reminds me of sitting in the backseat of the car listening to and feeling left out of the conversation in the front seat! Same ridiculous, worthless feeling that doesn't have anything to do with my true worth and dignity as a person.

I'd love to stay and analyze myself some more, but I've got little ones asking for breakfast. I'll try to stop in later--you guys are great!