Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Mild Vent

I hate it, hate it, hate it when a product already takes the fiber out of the total carb count, and doesn't say so on the package.

Yeah I know I should do the math there at the store, but I am horrid at basic arithmatic (they let us use calulators for a reson in school ) and it is hard enough just to shop when you have to keep track of 1-2 small children.

Ok rant over I had bought some Algea sheets for using in soups. They said 12 carbs, 10 fiber, so I was thinking great, an LC high fiber source. Entering them into fitday I find it's 22g carb with 10g fiber :P

I was suspicious at the store since they are made with sesame seeds and tomato pressed into them. I just assumed (yes ass me) that they were so trace they didn't figure in segnificantly to carb count.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:30

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

oh LadyBelle..you ARE NOT an ass

I bought a carbolite bar & still haven't figured out the total carb content... It gets all so confusing..then too I think they tell little lies on the ingredients part.

I like to just eat normal stuff..not try to cook with any special ingredients ( they are way to expensive for me anyway) Mostly staying clear of sugar/flour..and of course rice.

I know what you mean about doing math while shopping..I have been caught several time turning loaves of bread over checking carb counts..( I go down the whole bread aisle)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:37

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I'm with you. My post about the hidden carb thing has to do with Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal. It lists 4 carbs and 4 fiber on the package which makes it a 0 net carb product. NOT LIKELY. As Rosebud pointed out to me, it appears that the manufacturer is listing NET CARBS on the package - not all of the carbs. GGGRRRRR - why can't they just list all the carbs and all the fiber, alcohol sugars and so on and let US do the math - or at least print somewhere on the package that they are listing net carbs only. Jeesh!

shortstuff