Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Question When DID protein...

When DID protein get such a bad name? And WHY?????

The dietary guidelines for protein is 2-3 servings of meat/beans a day. And a "serving" is described as 2-3 oz! (that's not enough to fill ME up!)

Why does everyone think bad about protein? I remember growing up and being told to eat my dinner because I needed my protein. When did our protein needs change? I know "fat is bad" because of heart disease, etc ....but when did protein become bad?!?!?!?

Last edited by CindySue48 : Sun, Sep-28-03 at 12:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 13:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think it's just beacause once we cram in all of the recomended carbs, we don't have that much left over calorie wise if we want to meet the daily amount of calories as well

That and the meat industry isn't as rich as the junk food....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
That and the meat industry isn't as rich as the junk food....

Bingo.

Industry (and private lobbies not directly for profit) elects our government officials, who in turn pander back to industry/lobbies. The foxes watch the foxes and we pay the price. The junk food and grain industries are much more powerful (read: rich) than the cattle farmers, so our government advices us to eat tons of carbohydrate (with no regard to quality), but to eat only 4-9 ounces protein and fats "sparingly".
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/143/143
BF:

Posted by CindySue48

"fat is bad" because of heart disease, etc

-------------------------
When eating low carb, natural fats including saturated fats, are of the utmost importance for energy, they have absolutely no adverse effects in relation to heart disease, the fats and oils that do have adverse effects, are transfats and supermarket oils, that are used in all proccessed foods.
If you eat low carb and low fat, you will lack energy and feel tired,
Yar
--------------------------
The Good Side of Fats!
Dietary fats are important for good health. This may sound a bit far fetched, if not outright strange, but it's true. As far back as 1929, dietary fats were found to be "essential" in our diet.
Balance is the key to making fat work for you. There are two important considerations:
a) Consume a variety of good fats. These include unrefined oils, such as extra virgin olive and safflower and sesame. Fats from butter, meats, eggs and dairy are good as well, as long as they are part of a balanced diet.
b) Avoid hydrogenated (or partially hydrogenated) fats. These include margarine and many of the fats used to make breads and other products (read labels). Hydrogenated fats can disturb the metabolism of fats in the body. Also, fried or cooked fats should be avoided for similar reasons.
Why are fats so good? Here are ten reasons:
1. Fat as a Source of Energy.
The body uses two main fuels for energy: carbohydrates and fats. The energy is obtained by changing carbohydrates to sugar (called blood sugar or glucose) and fats to fatty acids. However, fats can provide more than twice the energy of sugar.
Therefore, it makes more sense for the body to use fats whenever possible. One important factor related to this is a moderate level of activity, such as easy, aerobic exercise.
If the body cannot burn fat for energy (due to a lack of dietary fats or exercise), two things may happen:
a) It may be forced to use more sugar for energy, potentially affecting blood sugar. In some people, this low blood sugar may produce mood swings, fatigue, clumsiness, headaches, depression, allergies or other symptoms. However, if enough fat is converted to energy, blood sugar will be kept more stable, allowing the body to have an almost unlimited supply of energy. This will leave enough blood sugar for the brain and nervous system, which relies solely upon sugar.
b) In order for the body to use rather than store fats, they must be balanced. This means a variety of natural fats in the diet. The nutrients necessary for fat utilization must also be present. These include thiamin, riboflavin and niacin, and the minerals zinc and manganese.
2. Fat for the Hormonal System
One of the body's important life supports, the hormonal system, is dependent upon fats for good performance. This includes the production of hormones for the glands of the adrenals, thyroid and thymus (immunity) as well as the sex glands. In the adrenals, for example, cholesterol is needed for the production of testosterone, progesterone and cortisone. Niacin and phosphorous are two nutrients which help make this possible.
These hormones help immunity against invading bacteria and viruses, replace worn out cells, temperature, weight control, blood pressure, the nervous system and many other areas. Without the presence of fats hormonal imbalance can develop.
3. Fat as an Insulator
The body's ability to store some fat makes most climates on earth suitable for life. Normal fat deposits in the skin help prevent too much heat from escaping the body in colder environments and provides some protection from the heat in warmer climates.
Cholesterol and other fats serve as a protective barrier, making the skin resistant to substances that could cause harm, such as chemical pollutants and excess water.
In addition, fats in the skin help protect against dehydration by preventing too much bodily water from evaporating. One symptom of dehydration is dry, scaly skin. A certain amount of evaporation is normal, but fats prevent as much as 10-20 times more water from escaping the body.
4. Fat for Support and Protection
When we exercise, walk down a flight of stairs, and especially if we fall, a great amount of support and protection is needed. Fats help provide this protection, acting much like the packaging material one might use when mailing a fragile gift.
Fats support and protect the vital parts inside the body including the kidneys, adrenals, stomach, intestines, pancreas, uterus and ovaries. Stored fats help prevent these organs and glands from "sinking" lower and lower as a result of the daily downward stress of gravity. This "visceroptosis," as it's called, could adversely affect the organs and glands within the abdomen (as well as create an unsightly abdominal protrusion).
In addition, fats protect the lining of the stomach and intestines from irritating substances in the diet, such as alcohol and certain spices.
5. Fat and Prostaglandins
Scientists now understand that the hormone-like substances called prostaglandins (PG's) are necessary for all cell function. They are produced in the body from fats in the diet and help regulate blood pressure, steroid production, immunity, water balance, pregnancy and lactation, and other life support systems. The PG's also control free radicals, which, when in excess, may contribute to certain disease states.
6. Fats as Regulators of Vitamins and Minerals
Fats help the body utilize certain vitamins and minerals. Cholesterol (and sunlight) is important for the production of vitamin D in the skin. Absorption and utilization of vitamins A, D, E, and K are also highly dependent upon fats.
Calcium is a "hot" item these days, but the importance of fat for calcium utilization if usually forgotten. PG's help get calcium into the cells of the muscles and bones. If the right fats (and PG's) are not present, calcium may go unused. Fat dependent vitamin D is also necessary for proper calcium use.
7. Fats for Pregnancy and Lactation
Fats are a vital part of a healthy pregnancy as well as lactation. During pregnancy, fat physically protects the fetus. This protection is similar to what was discussed above. The fetus also develops its hormonal system after the mother's, which is fat dependent.
During breast feeding, the baby gets PG's and cholesterol through the mother's milk, protecting the baby against allergies, asthma, and intestinal problems. These vital fats are not available to the body except through breast feeding. This natural method also promotes the mental health of the baby.
8. Fats and X-Rays
Fats help protect the body against the harmful effects of x-rays. There may be two reasons for this: 1) through physical protection of the cells - fats are a vital part of the cell's outer wall, and 2) by controlling the excess free radicals which may be generated when x-rays are taken.
9. Fats and Digestion
Fats are important for proper digestion. Lipase and bile, two vital fatty substances, help in the digestion and absorption of dietary fats and vitamins A, D, E and K.
Lipase, a digestive enzyme produced by the pancreas, can also be found in certain foods such as avocado and olive oil. Eating these foods may be an aid to both digestion and overall fat metabolism.
Bile, produced in the liver arid stored in the gall bladder, is highly dependent upon fat for its use. Bile helps the large intestine work properly, including the production of vitamin B12, the control of cholesterol, and waste removal.
10. Fats Taste Good
Anyone who has tried to make a delicious meal knows the importance of fats for good taste. The palatability of good food as a result of the presence of fat may be the difference between a healthy appetite and a poor, unhealthy diet.
In summary, fat is important for good health. Dietary fats, however, must be balanced, to include a variety of natural oils, butter, meats, eggs and dairy in moderate amounts. Many people avoid fats because of misinformation and fear. As time goes on, the "low fat" trend will disappear, as much research has already shown the benefits of this necessary, healthy substance.
Did You Know These Interesting Fat Facts?
Most cholesterol is made by your body, with only a small amount coming from food. Even your heart cells normally make cholesterol! When you eat less cholesterol, the body makes more.
Whole milk, beef fat and chocolate have been shown to lower blood cholesterol! These fat facts are reported in medical journals such as the Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, and Nutrition Reviews.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 19:57

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3

I know that Yar....I meant the public opinion is that fat is bad because it causes heart disease, cancer, etc.

I know fat isn't bad..... but to the public and medical industry it's the worst thing around!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 20:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

great post Yar. thanks for the info!! where did you read about the fat and water balance? very interesting!! thanks again
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/143/143
BF:

My apologies CindySue48, i misinterpreted.

kay3osu
I tried not to give the impression that i wrote "The good side of fats", by putting my comments beforehand.
I have had this on my computer for some time, from the era that i also did not save the url's with it, anyway did a search and found this site, which besides having "The good side of fats", has a lot of other interesting food facts.
The reason i save these pages, is that, i consider it to be important information, there are times when some information is no longer accessable.

http://www.icakusa.com/healthcaps/food/index.html
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:18

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

What is funny is that how much we are hearing in the media that low-carb is bad for you, when actually is it low-fat that is bad for you.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 14:17

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:

Why the bum rap against protein? Part of it is based on faulty science, read Dr Bernstein's chapter on "what about the widely advocated dietary restrictions on fat, protein, salt, and the current high fiber fad" BUT, and there is also an ideological/political spin to it, back in the 60s books like "Diet for a small planet" and others found wickedness and waste in the way devoloped countries eat, decided that Americans consume way more protein than necessary. This message has been a part of the philosophy of vegan/veg. groups like PCRM, not only is it selfish and wasteful of us, then the next thing they would love to prove is that it is actually BAD for us, so phony studies, or certain spin put on good ones. Now in all honesty, sometimes I DO feel bad, picking out a ribsteak or t'bone, I would feel more virtuous wearing birkenstocks and living on garbanzos and black beans. But these groups, hating our prosperous western lifestyle, hating our suv's, etc. do not care a fig for what works for us as individuals. Yes, it is a dirty shame I have to eat this way to keep my blood sugars under control, i tried their way, didn't work, but I'm not going to go blind and have my feet cut off just to support a political stance. Bill