Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Modified all of them ;-)
Stats: 118/113/115 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 167%
Default newbie question... what is type 1.5?

Hi everyone,

i am so excited that I found this forum. It is just what I have been needing!! I was diagnosed in December (sugar was 598). I am 35, thin, and no one ever suspected diabetes. I do have a family history but my dad didn't start with meds until his 60's ( probably needed them earlier). I was just wondering what the type 1.5 is I have seen some people mention here. How can I know if that is what I am. My doc doesn't want me to see an endo. I am switching to an internist ( is that spelled right?) Anyway I hope he checks more things and will refer me to an endo for more tests. The doc also doesn't like my LC diet. He is a vegetarian, so Atkins type eating is NOT what he reccomends but my A1C was 5.9 so he didn't say too much.

thanks for all the info you guys have already shared!
Jamie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nab486
Hi everyone,

i am so excited that I found this forum. It is just what I have been needing!! I was diagnosed in December (sugar was 598). I am 35, thin, and no one ever suspected diabetes. I do have a family history but my dad didn't start with meds until his 60's ( probably needed them earlier). I was just wondering what the type 1.5 is I have seen some people mention here. How can I know if that is what I am. My doc doesn't want me to see an endo. I am switching to an internist ( is that spelled right?) Anyway I hope he checks more things and will refer me to an endo for more tests. The doc also doesn't like my LC diet. He is a vegetarian, so Atkins type eating is NOT what he reccomends but my A1C was 5.9 so he didn't say too much.

thanks for all the info you guys have already shared!
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the board...

There are 4 tests that can be performed:
C-peptide
GAD-65
HLA-DR3
HLA-DR4

Most of the time HLA-DR3 and HLA-DR4 are NOT performed

C-peptide and GAD-65 each alone are indicative of LADA (type 1.5) or t1, but not conclusive. The absolute conclusive evidence is the following:

C-peptide = negative
GAD-65 = positive
HLA-DR3 and HLA-DR4 (autoimmune markers and tissue types)
Both on = t1
Both off = t2 or non-diabetic
Either one on and the other off = LADA

I am also thin (6 foot 170lbs) and everyone was shocked when I was diagnosed (however, diabetes runs in my family). The doctors also could not figure out if I was type 1.5 or 2, but now since I have done all the above tests I am definitely a type 2.

Thanks,

Adam
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 01:27

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Another indicator for Type 1 is other auto-immune antibodies e.g. hypothyroidism. Get the tests, be sure Jamie, and thus get the correct treatment (in effect T1.5 needs the same as T1 ). With me it was presumed I was T2, but subsequent test results knocked that on the head, and the delay in using insulin is now making inroads into my life by way of neuropathy and damaged arteries............Eve
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 04:35
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Since the other answers have dealt with what tests determine T1.5, I'll try to briefly state in words what it is.

T1 is an autoimmune disease in which the beta cells of pancreas have been destroyed and the body can no longer make insulin. (Thus, T1s are insulin dependent.) The tests mentioned above can show that the bodies of T1 diabetes contain antibodies that attack the beta cells.

T1.5 is like T1 except that not all of the beta cells have been killed. If the body of a T1.5 still produces sufficient insulin to counter the foods that they eat, a T1.5 may be able to maintain good blood sugar control without taking insulin. If the body doesn't have enough beta cells remaining to produce adequate insulin, then a T1.5 may be insulin dependent.

T1.5s are sometimes mistaken for T2. In T2, a person initially produces adequate insulin, but the body does not use it properly, making them insulin resistant. Because a T1.5 is not normally insulin resistant, many of the drugs used to treat T2 will not work well with T1.5.

http://www.diabetesnet.com has a nice series of articles that explain the differences between the various types of diabetes.

Last edited by CarolynC : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 05:10.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:08

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hi there,I,ve been dx,ed with t1.5.I was first dx,ed with T1 and put straight on insulin,however,with low carbing i found i did not need the injections to maintain bgs in the normal range.the docs say all my beta cells were not destroyed and the insulin protected the remaining ones.I was lucky,some are mistaken for T2's and given meds which do not work for this.its simular to T1.I don,t have IR or a weight problem.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:11
Registered Member

Plan: Modified all of them ;-)
Stats: 118/113/115 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 167%

thanks for all the info guys. I am beginning to think this may be what I am. The diabetes came on so strong ( like I said I was 598 when diagnosed) and I have never had a weight problem really. I also had to eat more carbs when they tried me on.... glipizide... I think that was it... even a low dose. I am now on Glucophage XR 500 mg per day. Everyone says that is not much, but I watch my carbs (only high fiber veggies, whole wheat etc). I do go low once in a while but if I cheat a little I am WAY up. Once I got a caffine free coke in stead of a sugar free.... yeow! I was over 300 the rest of the afternoon. It is frustrating to not be able to do anyting about it. I did gain 65 pounds when pregnant, so I have suspected gestational, but that is the only thing. My "doctor" tested my thyroid because of heart papatations, but said I was fine. My nutritionist though says my thyroid is sluggish and put me on some suppliments ( which I was already on when I took the doctors test) I think the suppliments really helped, my hair doesn't fall out and I'm not so cold all the time. I have been very unhappy with my doctor. I can't get him to send me to an endo. so I am switching to someone else.

Thanks again for all the info!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 06:05

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Nab...pretty easy to check out your thyroid. You should get this done (blood test), for having too much thyroxinecan be worse in a way than not having enough. Actually if you are having replacement thyroxine it should be monitored in the first few months very carefully. Definitely change that Dr....definitely need an Endo once a year or so...........Eve