Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default How can I get my husband to join me in this WOL???

I have tried everything, telling him how healthy he would be if he lost AT LEAST 30-40 pounds, how "hot" he would be, how fun it would be to do this together and ON AND ON........I have tried everything. He says he wants to lose weight, but he wants to do it by just "cutting back" on food, and exercising (as he sits right now in front of the TV) but he claims to not have time to exercise in his busy life.
I told him to give this eating at least the two week induction try, to see if it's something he would like to continue (I know once he started losing the weight, he would continue) but I can't get him to join me.....................OH HELP

Heidi
PS he thinks this WOE is unhealthy even though I show him articles otherwise
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:39

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Well if I were you, I would try a few different tactics. First off, if you are the main cook in the house, try cooking some spectacular dishes that are atkins friendly. Or, if you do all the main grocery shopping buy only foods you will be eating LOL.. There is nothing wrong with chicken and 2 veggies for dinner for ANYONE.

Thats my advice for now
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:51

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Smile

Most people won't jump on the band wagon until they are really ready to lose weight. Ask him to read the book. Sometimes that helps people get motivated. He just may not be ready. My advise is you keep doing Atkins. When he sees what great results you are having he may want to join you. And like Alhana said, if you are the cook make him a LC meals. But don't tell him it's LC until after the meal. Meat and veggies how can you go wrong.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:59
Registered Member

Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

When I started Atkins, my husband wasn't interested. When I prepared my LC meals, I cooked a small amount of rice of pasta for him, nothing to the amount he normally ate before. Gradually, after I was LCing for two months, he decided he wanted to start. I started in June, he started the end of July and is feeling so good about himself, as am I.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 15:40
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Heidi - I'm in Minnesota, too!

I've learned over the years that we CAN'T do anything to make our husbands do anything...

I'd suggest laying off the pressure tactics. Instead, be proud about how great you look, brag to him/in front of him, etc. Maybe some of your good vibes will rub off on him and he will give it a shot.

In the meantime, just be happy that you have changed yourself - you are the one person you can change!

Missy
(crystal, MN)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:06
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I told my husband he couldn't do it for two weeks, so he did it, just to prove me wrong. He even read DANDR because I told him he had to for the bet. He did his two weeks and lost around 6 pounds. He didn't stay low carb (he doesn't need to lose much) but he's a lot more aware of it now.

If your husband is the same kind as mine, he can't resist the challange.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:10

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

You can lead us to water, but you can't make us think!

Try withholding sex?

T.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TES
You can lead us to water, but you can't make us think!

Try withholding sex?

T.

Ummmm we aren't very "active" anyway..........my fault, since having kids, it's kind of ................left me???
Anyway........UPDATED: He said if we had sex tomorrow, he would start on Monday.........and then I said if he is in Ketosis (didn't put the pressure of losing weight, but I just want to make sure he's not "CHEATING" hope the ketostix work for him, poor guy!!!!LOL!!) we will do it next week too...............HE'S ON THE DIET starting Monday!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
After about 2 weeks of trying and trying to have him come aboard, he's finally going to do it..................

Thanks for all the advice, and good advice, Tes!!! LOL!!!!!

Heidi
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:45
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

My relationship was already getting into trouble so
when my ex started laying on the pressure to lose weight I ate more just to spite him. I resented him laying on the guilt and felt horribly unattractive, resentful, etc. Don't do that to your relationship. Lead by example and don't make an issue of it and he may decide to follow. If he does, quietly accept it rather than making an issue of it or it may backfire. Just my 2 cents.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:50

BF:

Thanks hey_neener!!!
I understand that pressure thing, thanks for pointing it out, but fortunately he KNOWS he needs to lose the weight, he FEELS horrible (tired all the time, achy, etc....) and I do NOT make him feel like he is unappealing or anything, but with this WOL, we KNOW the weight will come off if we keep to it, and fortunately it comes off fast the first few days, so we get this wonderful boost of confidence, and I am thinking if he sees the scale going down, he will have that boost!!!
Thanks!!
Heidi
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 17:06
Whoosh me baby!

Heidi,

Like I said, my relationship was in trouble, so hard feelings were easy to come by for me.

I knew I needed to lose weight too. What fat person doesn't. The reality is tho-they really need that internal motivation to finally get it off for any diet to work. There is considerable concentration that goes into changing eating habits-and many people just don't want to deal with it. Depression and feeling bad about themselves doesn't lead to motivation for most people. I think a person needs to feel some confidence in their ability to succeed first-and the diet needs to be their idea. My ex boss went on the Zone last year and I watched her drop weight pretty rapidly. It didn't phase me. I simply wasn't interested in her diet and got so sick of hearing about it at meals. I found Atkins on my own and checked it out with curiosity-and haven't looked back since. He'll come around, just give him time to do it himself.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 22:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know about the urge leaving after kids. Especially when said kid shave worn you completely down throughout the day and you have just got done putting the last screamer to bed.

One thing that helps to remember though, sex is a form of exercise, so you can count it to your daily total

It's good that your partner is wanting to change. Laying pressure on him though may just make him resentful. Just start slowly turning the wholehouse LC, letting him have his treats under the condition he gets them himself. With most of his meals being LC, you doing the shopping to where there is mainly LC snacks around, and most peoples laziness in grabing what's there instead of preparing, He'll be eating healthier by proxy. He may not be doign full Atkins, but even cutting down on carbs can be good for the health.

Be careful using sex as barganing chips though. Once you start doing that, it is really hard to get intamacy back in the relationship, and it does become just sex. I never had the labido surge that many report on LC, but you may be lucky in that area. I think losing weight and feeling sexier also helps.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 22:59
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I can just TRY to fight the mental picture of "drug-testing-like" taking and measuring of the sample...<snicker> NOT exacty something that would put ME "In the mood".....

Whatever works, I guess! It beats "going on and on" about how much better he'd feel, etc... I'm glad it didn't take you long to figure out that THAT doesn't work.

BTW...(pardon ahead of time!), it DOES give "come aboard" a WHOLE new meaning......
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 23:08
Whoosh me baby!

Personally, it's getting on to winter soon. Who wants to walk in the snow? I should think daily sex, or at least three times a week like any other exercise program, would work wonders for attached lowcarbers. Nothing's better for working the hips and thighs anyway. Ladies are after tone, aren't they? Prolonged repetition could be just what the trainer ordered!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 23:36

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Omg, this thread is a Hoot! You Know give it a try, Bribe him, it might renew your desire for sex! But don't let him know that, just keep the bribe going, LOL

I can speak from having kids, tired from running a business, OOPs, they might hear now there older, you name it, but bottom line, you have to work at it! You have to make time for yourselves, doing that will make so many things go so easily in your, most likely hectic life. I'm also saying that after coming up 30 years of being married to the same man (this Nov) and beleive me, it's still very good, down right fantastic some nights/mornings, LOL.
As for him following the diet, it still must be his decision. ( but there is'nt any thing wrong with the cable being shut off........................) What else is there to do????

Good Luck Kathy