Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 17:55

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Local News: Duke goes low-carb

I smiled when I heard this.

They are adapting it and choosing "healthy" fats, and there's still some mis-conception.....is sounds like Duke had the idea of adding exercise!

But, it's a start in the right direction!

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/health/...H_dukediet.html

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 20:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

But whoever wrote this just couldn't resist a slap at Atkins by saying this program differs from Atkins in that it includes exercise. I've read the book several times and in it Dr. A. strongly advocated exercise as part of losing weight. They just don't want to tell the truth!

Karla
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 20:27

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

He does suggest exercise PLUS when he was on Larry King Live he also mentioned about exercise in that interview as well..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 21:23
Registered Member

Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

Using the link provided for the story, I filled out the newspaper site's "contact us" web form re: the exercise misinformation, requesting a retraction. I think we need to raise the bar higher especially with all the studies and wide-distribution of the Atkins materials. There's simply no excuse for a reporter to get any major aspect of the BASICS of the diet wrong in their articles - and we should call them on the carpet when they still do.

Last edited by GaryW : Thu, Sep-25-03 at 21:24.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 08:17
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atkins is the diet which allows people to do more exercise than any other diet. It is not a matter of what Dr. Atkins has said or has forgot to say.

When I ask someone who is on a lo calorie diet if he or she is doing exercise, the answer I normally get is:

"Now, I'm too weak to do anything but the diet, after I end the diet I will".

When you are on Atkins diet, you feel stronger and more energetic than ever. This allows you to do all the exercises which you always wished you can do.

Sam
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:15
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
When I ask someone who is on a lo calorie diet if he or she is doing exercise, the answer I normally get is:

"Now, I'm too weak to do anything but the diet, after I end the diet I will".

Sam

Sam, that is SO true. And we've all been there. I've actually gotten to the point where I've almost passed out from weakness and dizziness on low fat, low calorie diets.

And now I'm bursting with energy. I get up at 5AM every day to get on the Nordic Trak. If someone had told me 6 months ago that I'd be doing that, I'd have laughed right in their face. 5AM??? Yeah, right.

Jeannie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:52

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I had the same experience [Energy-wise] when doing Low-Calorie. On my longest Low-Calorie diet, I lost 17 pounds, most of that in the first few months after which I levelled off. Before that diet [when I was 17 pounds heavier,] I could do chin ups, play basketball w.o tiring, etc...After I lost 17 pounds, I could no longer even lift my chin over the bar, despite the fact I now had 17 pounds less to lift.

As for running, I could do 1/8 mile...1/6 mile if I really pushed myself. A mile took about 16 minutes, 14 if I really pushed myself. I pretty much had to walk it after the first 1/6 mile, because I had no energy to run any further. Now, despite weighing about 60 pounds more, I can run faster and farther than I did back then.

Here's my latest weight graph...I keep trying to refine it as much as possible. But, most of the period between 2000 and 2002 is extrapolated as I have no weights from that time period, preventing me from knowing how much I really lost and how quickly I regained it from my last Very Low-Calorie diet (1999-2000)

Last edited by cc48510 : Fri, Sep-26-03 at 14:55.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:57

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hah! Dr. Atkins says in his book that "exercise is non-negotiable". Do these media people EVER read the damn book???