Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Airedales

My Friend just bought Ketostix at the Wal-Mart Phamacy and they gave her an photocopy with some stupid Warning about Atkins diet!!! It says something stupid like ketones are only present in the early stages of these diets and that it causes health problems... blah blah blah...

Hi All,

Wow! You all are set to go off with a hair trigger.

Everyone has a right to an opinion and the right to express it.

That in no way changes what you believe or what is real.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to see the actual content of this handout and not go by hearsay before we organize a lynch mob???

Peace,
T.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:40

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

I worked as a Pharmacy Tech a few years back and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if one of the Pharmacists took it upon her/himself to do something like this. The on Pharmascists I worked for was so arrogant and self righteous about her "title" that she would give out bad advise all the time. She was young, just out of college and thought she had the world figured out!

I'd like to see the exact content of this handout also! I left my job there because the Pharmacists was doing things that were illegal and I didn't want to get into the middle of it! I tried to tell management what was going on, but they didn't want to hear about! I understand she's gone now! Hopefully, she's not a Pharmacist anymore!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:49

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TES
Hi All,

Wow! You all are set to go off with a hair trigger.

Everyone has a right to an opinion and the right to express it.

That in no way changes what you believe or what is real.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to see the actual content of this handout and not go by hearsay before we organize a lynch mob???

Peace,
T.

They shouldnt do it on the companys time. They are there to be a pharmacist and give the facts . Not their opinions. They might scare someone off ,that wants to try Atkins and maybe this will sway that person in another direction. They shouldve thought about the consequences before handing out their photocopied newsletter with the ketostix.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 17:06

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincin11
They shouldnt do it on the companys time. They are there to be a pharmacist and give the facts . Not their opinions. They might scare someone off ,that wants to try Atkins and maybe this will sway that person in another direction. They shouldve thought about the consequences before handing out their photocopied newsletter with the ketostix.

I really didn't mean to get anyone all defensive about this as I am in agreement with the concept presented: that bad press directed towards a good thing sucks.

Back to what I said...You don't even know what really has happened or the actual content of this handout...Do You??? And what are the "consequences" you are refering to anyway???

You are just supporting my reaction that some folks are ready to get all hot over something they don't even have the real facts on.

I am not the enemy.
I am an Atkins supporter.
I do understand.
Peace
T.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 17:09

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Lol, I was ready for you to yell at me. I know you are an atkins supporter or you wouldnt be here. I drank a few wines and I just start typing away .

Cindy
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 19:59
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

Pooh, I was looking forward to the lynch mob! I wanted to be the one holding the torch!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Airedales
MORON Pharmacists!

My Friend just bought Ketostix at the Wal-Mart Phamacy and they gave her an photocopy with some stupid Warning about Atkins diet!!! It says something stupid like ketones are only present in the early stages of these diets and that it causes health problems... blah blah blah...

Who do they think they are!! Idiots!! We have the same Doctor and He's 100% behind us on the Atkins Diet.

At the same time they have just this week started stocking their shelves with Atkins products.

They are not just morons but total Oxymorons!!!!

Are you sure the warning was about the atkins diet period? Are you sure they weren't warning people about ketoacidosis, or the danger of going on atkins without getting a gtt, and possibly as an undiagnosed diabetic (which could technically result in ketoacidosis)?
You know, when you buy drugs from a pharmacy they give you a little sheet which gives all info about the drug and warnings, maybe your friend misinterpreted it.

That seems VERY illegal if they were just disseminating anti-low carb propaganda.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Then again (playing devils advocate here), I can certainly see the pharmacists rebelling against low-carb. They are drug pushers, and the drug industry is booming because people keep getting more unhealthy every year due to crappy eating habits. Low-carb revolutionizes what is currently looked upon as "healthy", and has been known to remove dependancy from perscription drugs for some people. I can certainly see how the pharmacists could be threatened by that.

My future goal is to be a pharmacist, maybe if atkins catches on as a lifestyle, there won't be a demand by the time I finish schooling .
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 02:41

Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I find it so much more annoying when 'proffesionals' dont have their facts right about LC'ing. Boots the Chemists here in the UK were refusing to sell ketostix if you weren't diabetic!! I think I heard recently that they have started to sell to everyone now tho. Also I was in my local pharmacy yesterday buying ketostix the assistant went to the computer and typed my name in, only thing I can think of is that she was checking if I was diabetic or not ( I am type 2) It really wound me up LOL
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 08:38

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Then again (playing devils advocate here), I can certainly see the pharmacists rebelling against low-carb. They are drug pushers, and the drug industry is booming because people keep getting more unhealthy every year due to crappy eating habits. Low-carb revolutionizes what is currently looked upon as "healthy", and has been known to remove dependancy from perscription drugs for some people. I can certainly see how the pharmacists could be threatened by that.

My future goal is to be a pharmacist, maybe if atkins catches on as a lifestyle, there won't be a demand by the time I finish schooling .

Hey, ItsTheWoo!

I'm working toward being a pharmacist, too! However, I don't think either of us have anything to worry about - the demand for pharmacists far exceeds the supply and more pharmacists retire every year than become licensed and go into practice.

Just like any other profession, the majority of pharmacists are well-informed, competent, professionals. Unfortunately there is a fair share of pharmacists that are not quite so competent. (As long as they can get the diploma and pass the state and federal tests, they can practice). Unfortunately, Pharmacists are so well paid that the profession does attract people in it for the money and not for the "right" reasons, people that do tend to abuse the power - especially when many of your retail pharmacies have on pharmacist in charge of several technicians. Luckily, I have not seen a "bad" pharmacy first hand - my pharmacist here is one of the most amazing, dedicated professionals I've seen in any field - but I know they are out there.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 10:52

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I asked my friend for a copy of the letter but she doesn't have it right now, she was so mad She thinks she threw it out.
I'll go to Wal-Mart and ask for Ketostix, I'm sure she'll give me one as well.. Then I'll scan it in and post it.

These are not assumptions the letter clearly Said something like this:

The New FAD in dieting is....... Diets such as Atkins....

The word "fad" really ticked me off....
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:57
Registered Member

Stats: 270/214/170 ? Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

I agree with Woo - I suspect what we have here is a pharmicist that doesn't understand the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. Dr. Atkins talks about this in the books - the common misconceptions about ketosis. If indeed the hand-out confirms this, it may be a good idea to pass along the chapter in the book that addresses the topic.

According to AFL, it is the #1 myth about the Atkins diet. Ketosis is what happens when your body is in a state where it is burning its own fat for fuel, and it is perfectly natural. It is a good thing for those of us that need to lose many pounds of fat. Ketoacidosis is a toxic state that affects insulin-dependant diabetics and alchoholics. As Dr. Atkins says, "the two terms sound similar, but that is the only connection." (p 137 Atkins for Life)
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 12:03

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'll never understand why so many "doctors" see eating natural foods that occur in nature (which we were provided with AS a diet source) as a bad way of eating.. Uh hello? Why not all the complaints about the chemically engerniered preservitive sitting in my 6 year shelf life cookies?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 12:15
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Pharmacists are well aware of the difference between Ketosis and Ketoacidosis. Physicians and nurses depend on them daily for their in depth knowledge of chemical composition and medication effects on the body. Unfortunately, much of the validating science is new, or not taught, and many of our Pharmacists are getting quite old or haven't kept up with the times and are going off old teachings-many of these end up in retail as it involves much less stress.
I remember going through advanced pathophysiology and thinking-hey! it would make more sense to live off fat-and was pooh-poohed in class as they cited heart disease, etc. Needless to say, I found Dr. Atkins a year later. Boy! I sure could have used the info I have now back then.