Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 06:40

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%
Angry I am not a happy camper

Yesterday I started a new Blood Pressure medication. The doc switched me from one that had a diuretic in it to an ACE inhibitor. I asked the doctor whether this would cause me to start retaining water all of the sudden. She said, "OH NO No No no no, not at all!"

HA!! This morning I got up and was TWO LBS UP overnight! I'm SURE it is water because I have been nothing but good lately!

Has this happened to anyone else out there? Did it stop? reverse? go away? I don't think I can stand it if I start inflating like a balloon! HELP!!

PS: sorry for all the exclamations, but I am absolutely aggravated, utterly disappointed, and swinging from a very thin tether. Thanks i_chi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 06:42

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hang in there! It could just be coincidence or water gain. I am not too familiar with BP meds, maybe there are alternatives.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 06:46

I did some research on ACE inhibitors and found this quote

Quote:
Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (also called ACE inhibitors) are medicines that block the conversion of the chemical angiotensin I to a substance that increases salt and water retention in the body

I wonder if this is just an adjustment and will go away in a couple of days
Good day, my ring is so tight I can hardly budge it!

Last edited by ichihuahua : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 08:00.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I wouldn't worry too much about it...water comes, water goes.
I always kind of wonder why people pay any attention to large gains that happen overnight. So long as you didn't eat 3lbs of food then I'd think it would be pretty hard to gain 2lbs of fat. I may have the physics wrong but I don't think mass can be created out of nothing. Just think, one morning soon you'll get up and weight and experience the joy of 2lbs gone...overnight!
I wanted to shoot for 2 extra lbs this week to get me under the magic 200 mark. I've been eating great, cut back a little on the cheese and non-veggie carbs, doing my regular treadmill stuff and walking and 4 days into the week I haven't budged an ounce....and to boot my measuring tape seems to have shrunk 1/2 an inch. I'm not concerned though...I'm doing what I should and I have faith in the program. IMHO....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 09:20

It's not just the gain, I am used to bouncing around a bit. It's that I am worried this new medication is going to backfire on me. I know this is not fat, it's water. I'm coming off a diuretic and going on something else. I was told that I would not start gaining water, and voila, this morning I'm a water balloon!

I would really appreciate advice from some folks who have been through this kind of change. Anyone...anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited by ichihuahua : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 09:25.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 09:24
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

I'm taking ACE too, water retention is not listed as a common side effect. It might be something else.........anything you ate yesterday, hormonal fluctuations etc. Even stress can cause it. Drink more water than usual and try to take it easy.......you don't know for sure it's from the meds.

All the best

Alina
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 09:29

Aaaack! I'm turning paranoid and delusional!

Thanks for your help. Maybe I should just chill a little bit.

hugs

i_chi
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 10:09

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Ichi,
Hey, in't it really hard when it appears our medications inhibit our goals? I think I know what you must be going through.

Keep in mind one thing, that your blood vessels don't want to work any harder than they do, and the BP meds at this point are a necessity. I know because I had been on them for 4 years, until 2 months into Atkins! Now it is normal. The doc said to keep up the LC'ing!

The most important thing is to keep an eye on how you react to any prescription. There are different categories for BP meds and for some reason, your doctor must feel this will accomplish in you what the others cannot.
Just be encouraged and keep watching what happens. Stay in tune with your doctor, because together the two of you can work out what's best for you. I know your dr. has best interest in mind.

Keep up your great work, ok?

Hugs, Annie-Pie

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 10:11. Reason: Too many typos! Agh!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 06:40

Up another pound this morning. Deep ditch in my finger from my ring. Pitting edema in my legs. I'm calling my doctor!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:13

Well, end of story, the doctor is putting me back on the diurectic. I don't know whether to be happy or sad about this. I was really hoping I would do OK without it. Sh*t.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:21

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

If you continue LCing, AND exercise, you should see your blood pressure begin to get under control. Before Atkins, but on an increased dosage of meds, mine was about 170/90's to100. Now on BPM, it is 120/70. Of course, my goal is to get off meds completely and I exercise 45mins 5x week and have been for almost three months. Takes time, but I certainly envision going off meds by the time I reach my goal.