Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:34

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 251/251/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Question Any Encouraging Words?

I would love to become a part of the triple digit club as I have 105 pounds to lose. It seem so impossible. I have tried Atkins two times previously and my blood sugar dropped to 60 and I felt awful and could not get it back up without eating a carb. Any suggestions Should I stick with atkins or Protein Power? Has anyone noticed a differance in weight loss in the two or any differance from a standard low calorie diet? PLEASE HELP I NEED SOME SUPPORT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:07
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

The difference from a low calorie diet? You are always hungry on a low calorie diet. You are seldom satisfied on a low calorie diet.

Concerning blood sugar? Gotta talk to a Doc on that one...but I assume you added in additional carbs after the induction phase the last times you did LC? If not then perhaps you should try that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:50

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

make sure you read the book cover to cover and eat the max amount of carbs allowed....

Still not a bad idea to talk to your doctor though.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:25
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

you might be better off adding in a few more carbs, and using fruit to fill them,, it will up your blood sugar and its not somthing bad for you
& you should still loose
Crysania
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%

Have you thought about the Carb Addicts diet? You get a reward meal at the end of the day. It may not be so restrictive and easier on you.
I would also consult my Dr.

Glad to meet ya,
Tanya
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 11:05

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

Pooka,

Are you diabetic? I agree with the others. Talk to your doctor.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:15
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

It seems so impossible
------------------------------------------------

Take some time to read the success stories and see just what is possible on this WOL.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:26
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

You might want to look into the Suzzane Somers diet. I'm on it and it allows whole grain carbs IF you eat them three hours separately from the Atkins-like meals. Thus, every morning, I start out by having a bowl of grapenuts cereal. I love it, and this program sure seems to be working for me. Note, there is a forum on this board just for Somersizing! Check it out...

Dean in Arizona
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:29

Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

It isn't impossible. As days and weeks go by with added weight losses you too will feel it is possible. I think it is best to look in smaller amounts. I've set myself several targets and in fact my goal weight is not as low as I should go for my health. I remember being that weight and felt reasonably happy - but will rethink nearer that weight.
If you are diabetic then you need to seek advise but otherwise you just need to eat little and often so that your blood glucose doesn't drop too low. Have something ready to eat before you get up in the morning and don't go more than a couple of hours without a snack.
Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Are you diabetic? Most of us have no idea what our blood sugar is, so since you are measuring yours regularly I would assume you are under some sort of treatment for blood sugar issues. If you are taking any type of medication at all for your blood sugar, you need to see your doctor and have the medication adjusted when you start low carbing. Low carbing does lower blood sugar and combined with medication you can go too low.

If you are not diabetic and on medication, you might want to get a physical to see if there is something else going on. It's very unusual for anyone's blood sugar to drop that dramatically while low carbing and you might have some underlying physical problem.

FYI, you don't necessarily need to start out with induction. Try dropping your carbohydrates down slowly until you find a level where you are comfortable. And make sure you eat regularly.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:37

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 251/251/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all of your great advice. No Iam not a diabetic but I am A RN and you know us nurses always check everything so that is why I checked my blood sugar. I just felt like it was low. Thanks again everyone.