Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 20:16

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Quick Post: Eating More Fatty Acids Reduces Anxiety Levels...

In my Psychopharm (the brain, the brains receptors and neurotransmitters, and how drugs interact) class tonight, my teacher mentioned that people in Alaska, say in the winter (where its always dark, etc) try to eat more fatty acids because it lowers their anxiety levels, (has something to do with the serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine, forget which one specifically) and I asked after she said that, "Does that mean people on Atkins have lower levels of anxiety??" And she didnt know the answer, honestly, but now that I think about it, I havent been anxious or depressed or really stressed out for long periods of time (nothing more than an hour or two's worth of stressing over something) since Ive been on this WOL... anyone have any insight??? I thought it was interesting so I thought Id post it... take care..!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 00:39

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Thumbs up reducing anxiety is key for me

I used to have anxiety all the time to the point where I would self medicate with alcohol at night...when my anxiety would be at it's peak...symptoms were blurred vision, restlessness and colors would be overbright. I couldn't concentrate at all. I would get pizza with my alcohol... this would plant the seeds for another binge the next day etc...an endless cycle that propagated itself.

I have tried everything, and this WOE is the only thing that makes me feel like a normal human being, when I'm consistent the thought of alcohol seems like the cravings of another person. There is absolutely no question for me that eating this way is the ony thing that stops these cravings dead, simply because the anxiety is gone!

I wouldn't be surprised if this WOE is key for controlling alcoholism in other people as well, if my own response is any indication.

It is no coincidence that all bars have carby snacks to offer their clientelle!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 01:10
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveed
I used to have anxiety all the time to the point where I would self medicate with alcohol at night...I wouldn't be surprised if this WOE is key for controlling alcoholism in other people as well, if my own response is any indication.

I don't have obvious anxiety attacks, but I have found that this WOE has enabled me to think better when I drink--not every single time, but most of the time, and that's a definite improvement. In fact, I had an interesting experience last night...I am in a very stressful situation at the moment, and I was looking for something to drink at home after getting back from a dinner out. I had a vodka and diet tonic, and then the stress-relief craving set in, and I just wanted MORE. I became afraid that I was going to get very drunk and end up going to a very important meeting with a hangover today. Notwithstanding that fear, I poured myself a large gin and diet tonic, had a sip, and then put it down the sink because it didn't taste very good to me. Tried with Amarula Cream, a very sweet liqueur which is definitely NOT LC, had a few sips, poured it down the sink because it was too sweet. We still had Scotch and all manner of other things, but I didn't feel very interested.

At this point the liquor store was still open and I could have gone around the corner for a bottle of red wine...but it wasn't worth it to me because I knew I would drink at least 2/3 of the bottle in the end, and wake up feeling nasty. So I took a melatonin to help me get to sleep, and went to bed. I woke up at 6 feeling refreshed.

Pre-LC, this stressful feeling would have ended in a very different way...with me staggering to bed at 2 or 3 or 4 AM, drunk as a skunk and dreading the morning. I am quite certain that control of my blood sugar is key to control of my drinking.

Emily
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 01:36

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sterlina : no insight... but have to agree with you

Steeveed - I have the Richard Mackarness book that seems to agree with your point about alcohol addiction/carb addiction ( Mackarness being a psychiatrist who had an interest in alcoholism)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...0614878-0218034

theres a review on this site as well - be back to post it.
Its a gem of a book
I believe its online in its entirity but dont know where - sorry.

edit :
http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...mackarness.html

Last edited by plum : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 01:39.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 01:52

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:

this may be it:
http://www.ahoa.org.au/information/library/eat_fat.pdf

( a quick glance - think an edited version, great detail in the book, = see the amazon link )

and thinking about it Im convinced that LC decreases anxiety. Schwartzbein also has a chapter on the seratonin link which is of great interest
thanks for posting this Sterlina !

Last edited by plum : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 01:59.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:43

BF:

Thanks for all the replies everyone... Glad I posted this then! Take care..
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:47
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

tholian8: You poured amarula down the sink!!! OMG I admire your strength- I love that stuff! Haven't DARED to have any since I started atkins though

S
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 10:45

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Talking Groovy Thread!

PLUM: Thanks for the links plum...you're a...well. PLUM!
I will look into purchasing the book, looks like interesting reading....some fad we're following eh? It's only been around forever!

THOLIAN/SINBAD:...Funny how nutrition changes the tastebuds and by the way...WHAT THE HELL IS AMARULA?!!! Is it an English thing? Sounds a bit "dodgy".
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I drink compulsively while playing on the computer, but I've discovered that a flavored water (like Perrier or Fruit20) works as well for my compulsion as beer or wine - and I feel better the next day, as well. I haven't given up the booze, but I'm starting to manage it better.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 17:41

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

congrats, fellow self-medicators

I too used to enjoy getting a little sloshed myself, especially at night as a way of winding down before bed. These days, alcohol no longer has the same effect for me - I'd sooner leave it and have my lime Perrier, and sleep better. Just one more benefit of LC that I've noticed.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 00:21
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Steveed: Amarula is a cream liqueur not unlike Bailey's, but IMO it tastes much better. It's made from the merula nut, which is some African thing. Great stuff.

Emily
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/143/143
BF:

Sterlina, i am sure this will interest you also, i read it, that if you produce your own Ketones [Ketosis], it would treat Parkinson's disease.
This would make it another disease that would be rectified with low carb.[One of many].
What are your thoughts?
Yar
A team of researchers, led by Serge Przedborski, at Columbia University in New York, have demonstrated that infusion of D-beta-hydroxybutyrate (D-beta-HB) to mice suffering from Parkinson disease restored impaired brain function and protected against neurodegeneration and motor skill abnormalities. D-beta-HB, already utilized in the treatment of epilepsy, may represent a cheap and easy way to treat Parkinson disease.

Parkinson disease is the second most common neurodegenerative disorder after Alzheimer disease. Sufferers experience motor skill abnormalities including tremor, muscle stiffness, and unstable voluntary movements and posture. The main pathological feature of the Parkinson brain is the loss of dopaminergic neurons.

Reported in an article in the September 15 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation, Przedborski and colleagues administered the neurotoxin MPTP to mice, which caused dopaminergic neurodegeneration and deficits in the mitochondrial electron transport chain reminiscent of Parkinson disease. Using this model of disease, the authors showed that the infusion of the ketone body D-beta-HB restored mitochondrial respiration and protected against MPTP-induced neurodegeneration and motor deficits. The study supports a critical role for mitochondrial defect in Parkinson disease.

Ketone bodies are already successfully used in the treatment of epilepsy. They are also able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier that often prevents potentially beneficial drugs from entering the brain.

D-beta-HB may therefore be considered as a novel form of neuroprotective therapy in the treatment of Parksinson disease.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 08:44

BF:

Yar thats really interesting...! If only there were more people out there with Parkinsons who were willing to try it...?? I wonder how the results have been for those who have done it??