Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

* I get headaches when i dont eat enough. I am also a migraine type and if I skip too many meals and vits I get them.
* I dont usually get headaches when I am ovulating.
* However I often get them when I am coming down with something (kids back at school means lots of little virus's around?)
* I also get them due to pollen dust and when the heating first goes on!
* Dehydration is also a big one for me.

I would drink lots and treat yourself well the next couple days (not easy with little kids i know!) - eat 3 healthy meals make sure you are getting enough roughage (constipation can give you headaches!) - buy a bag of stir fry vegetables and a chicken breast - throw in a little black bean sauce and presto a really healthy tasty dinner - thats quick to eat and even my 3 and 4 year old girls will eat this!!

Look after yourself for a couple of days and if you still have headaches then you really need to seek medical advice!

Good luck .. and feel better soon.
Claire
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I had a day like you described. Besides the headache, I also had this sort of "sick feeling" almost like I was coming down with the flu or like I was about to have an attack of hypoglycemia. I've had hypoglycemia since I was a pre-teen and I haven't had any trouble with it at all since I started this WOE thank goodness!!

I realized that I'd been running around all day and hadn't really been drinking my water or eating enough. I went home and ate a good meal, drank a bunch of water and woke up feeling much much better!

I'll bet you're busy too, so be sure you're taking good care of yourself.

I also do sometimes get a headache right on my right temple just before TOM is about to arrive (usually 1-2 days before and it lasts until TOM gets here) but not every month and actually not since I started Atkins now that I think about it.

Julie
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%

i think it really had to do with how deeply in ketosis i was at the time, and the very low levels of calories/carbs i was taking in. i was fully hydrated (100 oz a day or so water!) but still DEEP purple on those strips, and that's unusual for me. i was also sleeping really poorly for some reason, and my neck was bothering me in addition to my head. also, as mle said, no vitamins! makes for grumpy mama!

when i get these weird headaches, they just feel like bad tension headaches- like if i could stick my head in a vise and SQUEEEEEEZE it would feel better, you know?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 17:05

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Paradox,
I hope you are doing better. Please take care of yourself - easy for me to say! One way I found to help me up my carbs some when I didn't feel like eatting much with the heat (I'm in SC) was to add some berries. Get a nice hunk of cheese and some strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries etc, put some heavy whipping cream on them if you like. This will cool you down and up your carbs and calories. It helps me when I have stress headaches, but mine don't sound nearly as bad as yours. Take care and know we are thinking good thoughts for you.
Marie