Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Am I losing too slow? 24 lbs since 5/13

I know I should not compare myself to other people but is a 24 pound weight loss in a little over four months enough? I have about 44 pounds to go and I guess it averages about six pounds a month. Is that normal? I see so many people who have started after me with much more of a loss. I keep my carbs at about 20-25 per day. I have stopped eating nuts, my treat. And have cut back on cream otherwise those are my only treats. I try to follow induction but allowed myself nuts and cream. I know slow loss is good loss but at this rate I don't know if I will be near goal for my January Mexico trip (swim suit- in front of friends!!!! SCARY!!!)
Has anyone else experienced this type of weight loss? I am thankful that I am losing but I just wanted to know if anyone else out there is like me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:01

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am also 5'10 and I have lost 20 lbs since May 17th. I stopped counting carbs after I found out it don't lose any more if I eat less carbs or more. I lose about 2 lbs a month with my tom and thats the way it is.Actually I think I lost more since I upped my carbs a little. But I know you have that vacation coming up and want to lose faster, I am no help there. At my weight of 173 I still would have to wear shorts over my 2 piece bathing suit or wear a one piece in front of people.

Last edited by cincin11 : Tue, Sep-23-03 at 06:02.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Seems a good loss a week to me. We should really not loose more than 1 to 2 lbs a week tops. Men usually loose fast than woman do but I seem to loose slow to.
Are you eating a bunch of sugar alcs? Drinking all your water? I know that after looking at my lose I need to add in another 6 to 8 glasses of water a day. I also stay at 20 to 25 carbs a day and I never eat sugar alcs. The other question is are you taking measurment? Are you working out? THat too can make you think its comin of slower. muscle weighs more than fat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:28

BF:

My excerise routine is walking about two miles (during break at work). I have not done much more since we starting a huge remodeling project. But I figure I am getting exercise carrying blocks and working around here. Sugar alcs, hmmm. I do have an advantage bar a couple times a week as an afternoon snack. Other than that I think that is it. But my daughter said it came on slow it will probably leave slow too!
We are leaving on a trip to Kansas next Thursday (attending the NASCAR race) so we will be camping and eating at the track. I am trying to make sure I have enough good foods available. Although I know I will have more Miller Lites than my carb allowance. But we are with family and friends. I will make sure to drink plenty of water with my beer. How does that work, does the body burn the alcohol first?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yes, the body burns the alcohol first. So it will burn it before it burns the fat. Your rate of weight loss seems right on track. Everybody is different. Different heights, different rates of metabolism, different total amount of weight to lose. I only had about 25 pounds to lose, I lost about 18 of them in the first four months. The remaining 7 were lost at a crawl, but after the first 18, I pretty much considered myself at maintenance because this is a WOL and I knew the last 7 would eventually come off, slowly but surely.

Don't beat yourself up if you are not near goal by January, you've already lost 24 pounds and you said you were happy to have lost that. You'll still be lighter in January (no matter what weight you are). Between now and January, you'll probably continue to lose a good portion of the weight you want to lose, but as you near goal, your weight loss will slow to an imperceptible crawl. Good luck on your LC journey!!!

EDIT:
Quote:
We are leaving on a trip to Kansas next Thursday (attending the NASCAR race) so we will be camping and eating at the track.

Your aim while attending the NASCAR race should be not to gain any weight. Situations out of the house like that make it very difficult to lose weight, but I'm glad you're trying to have enough good foods to eat while there, because too many times, people would use the occasion as an excuse to fall off the WOE. Just don't go too crazy with the Miller Lites!

Last edited by paradise : Tue, Sep-23-03 at 06:56.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:46

Stats: 213/201/170 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Yep, you got it. Your body will burn the alcohol first. Don't forget to count the beer carbs. Drink lots of water and watch it on how many beers you drink. Hangovers are much worse when LC'ing. I have a couple of painful experiences to attest to that...

Your weight loss seems reasonable. Maybe try upping carbs a bit with more veggies to jolt the system?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Have you tried "Thin Ice" its a lowcarb hard lemonade.
1 grams of carbs per bottle. Same alc% as a lite beer
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:50

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Looks Great to me!!! Keep it up!!!
How does the 24lbs loss in 4 months on Atkins compare to the previous 4 months before Atkins? For me it would have been about the opposite
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 09:04
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Great point Archie!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:17

BF:

Thanks for the advice. I will try to keep my Miller Lites and water on an equal basis. I do know that since lcing I can feel the effect of alcohol much sooner. I seem to get tired after a couple of beers! I don't plan on getting drunk or anything, I have looked forward to the race too much to risk having a hangover and ruining it. Plus two of the gals coming with are pregnant so I am sure I won't have a problem.
I have planned on frying up some burgers to store in the fridge so that when the rest of the group pulls out their high carb snacks I can go have something if I am hungry. I will let you know how things go. I had wanted to be down to 200 lbs by the time this trip came around. Maybe by next Tuesday (my "official" weigh in days!) I can be at least 207? 208? But in reality it will be TOM and I will be lucky not to gain anything back! Usually TOM brings no loss for two weeks
Thanks for all the comments! I love this site!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:29

BF:

I have not tried the Thin Ice hard lemonade ian559, who makes it? My problem is I really LIKE the taste of beer! ha Must be my German heritage coming out! ha Or maybe the Polish? Whichever it is I am sure my grandfather helped cultivate that taste. When I was a teenager Grandpa JP used to let us drink a "warm beer" after baling hay in the summer. Now this was back in the late sixties and early seventies and it was alright for us to have a beer with Grandpa. Man, how I loved that man! He died in '71 and I miss him so...

Anyway, thanks again!