Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Really interesting

So, everyone on here seems to use FitDay for logging food instead of Atkins.com... so I decided to try it out.

It seemed to me like some of the carb counts were really contradicting themselves (check out all the different broccolis...)

So, I cruised the web a little and found this site: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

It breaks down EVERYTHING... like, in a 140 gr. (approx 5 oz) serving of broccoli:

124.950 = water
3.332 = protein
10.052 = carbohydrate
4. 620 = dietary fiber

etc...etc...

This seems pretty detailed to me... probably reliable? Any thoughts?
~D
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

when you look to the side of the nutrient listing it shows things added. Seems when you put something in as cooked it always things like butter and salt and stuff. I just enter the raw amount then add in my fats and stuff sep
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:13

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I checked out the link and saved it for future reference but it doesn't look like it could replace Fitday.com which records all you foods, activities, goals, etc over time and will give you reports on specific time periods, etc.
Ian in the above post has explained it....different selections within a certain food listing will add ingredients which will be listed towards the right of the nutrient breakdown.
The custom food feature is also invaluable. I'd hate to have to give up Fitday now that I've learned how to use it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Stats: 359/318/250 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yeah, I have used this sight many times before. Fitday is packaged quite well and makes it easy to use but you have to watch what it does with the food counts. Your Broccolli example is very common on fitday. I use the USDA sight to get the nutritional info for input for the custom food feature on Fitday.

Like anything we/you use, educating yourself about the product makes you a savy consumer and are that much further ahead of the game.

Cody