Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 08:06
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Angry Just Bored!

Hi Folks:

O.K., I have been at the for almost 8 weeks and have lost 23 pounds. I feel good, I am not hungry... the cravings have ended and the weight loss continues. I have not had even one cheat whatsoever in over 50 days. So what is the problem? I AM BORED WITH THIS!
A year ago I went through the same thing. I made it three weeks and lost 18 pounds that time, and it wasn't that the Atkins way was difficult for me, I just got bored and quit doing it. This time I swore I wouldn't get in that mind set again, but now its creeping back.
What am I bored with? Now that the fast weight loss is over (I am losing 2 to 3 pounds a week which I know is great) I don't have that great excitement each morning going to the scale. I am tired of eating the same things over and over and over. I just get to the point that I would rather not eat at all because I am not excited about the food and I am not hungry. But I know I have to eat. I am tired of looking in the refrigerator and the cupboard and seeing all the things I can't eat that are quick, easy and filling (potato chips, cookies, sandwiches, etc) and rather trying to find something I can eat on this diet that is the least bit appealing. I am tired of the day-to-day, moment-to-moment mental concentration on watching everything I put in my mouth.
I know I should be happy with my success and I am determined to stick with it. But I was wondering if anyone else goes through this? I am thinking that maybe I should go eat a pizza (the food I miss most) and get it out of my system, but I don't want to set myself back.
Most of the problems I read on the forum concerning this WOL is in cheating, cravings, stalls, etc. which I am not having problems with. I AM JUST BORED AND MENTALLY EXHAUSTED WITH IT! Your thoughts appreciated. madmike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 09:55

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

I hear you Mike - it is easy to be bored with all the easy to prepare and instant high carb foods out there. Doing the LC thing, often takes alot of additional effort - cooking and preparing more often. Yikes, I even make my own ice cream, bread and muffins, which I would not have to do if I was not LCing it.

Have you tried LC treats - which can be anything from a Beglian LC chocolate bar to a great shrimp cocktail. Or crab cakes made with a LC flour substitute - or a plate of wings? Or LC icecream?

Why not try a LC pizza or a LC pasta meal? I find people usually gravitate to the LC speciality foods, to supplement their usual meat, eggs, cheese and butter diet. Maybe the solution is new LC foods?

PS - the Miracle Sweet chocolate brownie recipe is awesome -if you are craving brownies.

Just a thought!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 20:06

Plan: pp/bfl
Stats: 208/195/133 Female 64
BF:50%/47%/22%
Progress: 17%

If you're bored eating the same old things then don't eat the same old stuff! If you really want pizza then try some of the LC pizza recipes that are around until you find one you like. We had the one from Dana Carpender's 500 LC recipe cookbook last night. Both kids (6 & 14 yrs old) enjoyed it.

Stop focusing on what you can't eat. If you really miss sandwiches then find some lc bread and make yourself a sandwich. You don't need to think about food and planning every single moment but how about maybe twice a week? Figure out a couple ideas for all 3 meals and snacks and buy or freeze the necessary ingredients until you need them. Make and freeze some lc muffins, waffles and pancakes. Grab one of them if you want something quick and don't want to think.

The boredom won't last forever. Think of all the foods you can have - steak, shrimp, fish, lobster, pork chops, ribs, burgers, chicken, etc. You can go to almost any fast food joint and find something lc to eat if you toss the bread. It doesn't get much easier than that.

Hang in there. It'll get easier.

Cathy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 21:01
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

You can't eat what's not there... if others in the family HAVE to have the treats that look better to you than what you CAN eat...they can at least put them in one place...so you know where NOT to look... the fewer "cues" the better.

It makes it easier for me to pass up the poor choices when I have better choices handy. I make a batch of lc muffins (ketogenics brand is my favorite) freeze them, and nuke one when a craving hits. Having cheese and veggies, nuts, pork rinds, etc. handy helps too.

Sounds like it might be time to do a little soul-searching to figure out what makes you give up when you get to a certain point. Sometmes we have "roadblocks" set up that get passed off as boredom or "falling off the wagon"...

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't..you're usually right.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 10:07
Registered Member

Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

I hear you on the boredom thing. But, trust me, it is better to be bored than give up and gain the weight back in no time. I injured my back and was out of work for 3 weeks and could not do my normal workout for much longer than that. With my back out, I got real depressed and gave up on my low carb diet because it was too much work. After a couple months of ice cream and whatever else I wanted, I gained back 20 LBS! I have gotten it back under control again and lost 10 lbs. of the 20 I gained, but it has been extremely difficult starting over. Let me tell you...it is not worth giving up! Hang in there...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 117/107/105?
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi,

Did you ever get bored eating the same ole thing before you began LC? I know I did and most people I know do. We just need to make changes now and then I think. You mentioned pizza being your favourite food. It was mine too and I really missed it. Last week I tried something and to me it was delicious! I browned up some ground beef with onion and green peppers and I keep it in the frig for when I need a "pizza fix". Then I put some into a bowl, squirt a little pizza sauce, and top with shredded mozarella cheese and nuke it. Next time I will include mushrooms. I don't worry about the little bit of carbs in the sauce. Try it and I hope you like it.

Mary
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

This wol life does not have to be boring at all. I love to cook though... Try some salsa on those eggs. Try some omlets with atkins approved things in it. Every sunday I fry up a bunch of bulk sausage to use in stuff the next week. Have low carb pancakes once a week.
Take some pork rinds and some snacks out of them and keep them in bags. I make cinnamon crispas for that sweet tooth, I make onion and garlic for that munchy tooth. Keep a supply of cream cheese. Each sunday I mix up a package of cream cheese with herbs in it to munch on low carb crackers all week. There are lots of fun things to do and if you ever need help or a idea feel free to email me.
This is a great way of life but it does take more cooking and planning than just goes to fast food or pizza hut.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:14

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Madmike, you are doing well with this WOE. I think the mental exhaustion is a bigger problem than boredom with food. You obviously know what is low carb food (your success shows that) just keep good supplies on hand so it's easy. Try to find a treat or two that you can keep on hand. Do you have any hobbies or interests you can develop? Is it time to start something completely new?

Good luck, whatever you choose to do....
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:21
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

I really REALLY appreciate all the support and advice... I read each thread carefully and it has given me new inspiration. I am going to try what you have suggested. I really do not want to stop... 90% of the time I feel fabulous and am proud. I just get in a rut occassionally. THANK YOU AGAIN! Mike
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:37

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Mad!
I'm glad you have renewal your motivation by now.
When I read your post the first thought that was in mi mind was "auto sabotage! "...kind of fear to success..and you have been very successfull until now.
Keep going!!!

Isiar
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 09:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Mike:

Have you tried things like Meatza, New York Cheese Cake, homemade LC chocolates, any one of several dozen creative omelets and fritatas??

Have you tried keeping a supply of microwave pork rinds on hand, to use in lieu of chips and crackers? Several good dips are LC also, giving you some easy to access guy food when you get to feeling bored.

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:52

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I made a list of all my favorite "OLD FOODS" and then found low carb alternatives that are similar. I havent felt very deprived at all...Just keep the creativity in it..Be willing to experiment in the kitchen with new stuff.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 16:35

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, Mike.

I hear ya' on the bored.

If pizza is your favorite, try this. It has a little more carbs than usual, but it is worth it if you do it only occasionally and really miss pizza.

In a small bread pan, I put in brown hamburger, pepperoni slices, some spaghetti sauce, and cheeses (mozarella, romano etc.). You can add anything you want that is low carb/low glycemic. Put in oven until cheese is browned and bubbly. Enjoy!

After 8 weeks, you can probably explore adding a few extra carbs to see what happens.