Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 13:12

Plan: None
Stats: 145/145/200 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Epsom salt as a long-term laxative

I have a chronic constipation problem that has lasted for years. My method of remedy: 4 tablespoons epsom salt in 12 ounces of water, taken internally every 5 days. Almost always works. I know this is a LOT... but lesser amounts don't work.

My question is: does anyone know of any definite, documented side effects or dangers of long term internal epsom salt usage?

The above method may not be the ideal... it's just what I've come up with by experimentation. The alternative appears to be surgery or death (unless I can find another, preferable laxative).

Any comments, experiences, etc?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 15:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Pathfinder,

I see you describe yourself as being someone who eats high carb.

Well, as this is a low carb support board, I'm afraid you're going to receive some low carbing advice.
Your overall health will improve greatly if you switch to eating low carb. Have a look at "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen for summaries of the major plans.

For a start, if you ditch the starches, you may well find yourself being a lot less "blocked up."

How much fibre do you get? Have you ever tried a fibre supplement such as psyllium? If you have several cups of high fibre vegies daily, along with a tablespoon of psyllium husks in water, AND drink at least 2 litres/64 ounces of water daily, I bet your constipation will improve.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:13

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Hi there Pathfinder,

Well, as this is a low carb support board, I'm afraid you're going to receive some low carbing advice.

For a start, if you ditch the starches, you may well find yourself being a lot less "blocked up." How much fibre do you get? Have you ever tried a fibre supplement such as psyllium? If you have several cups of high fibre vegies daily, along with a tablespoon of psyllium husks in water, AND drink at least 2 litres/64 ounces of water daily, I bet your constipation will improve.
Rosebud

Trust me... after five years of this, I've tried everything. I've been on the high fibre regimen. I drink more water than anyone I know. I regularly munch on FIBRE ONE as a snack (and it does help). But my problem is not related to a lack of fibre... it's a damaged nerve situation.

Recognizing this is a low-carb forum, I entered my question here because I found a thread here discussing different laxatives, including epsom salts, but then lost the thread. So I decided to post this.

I am hoping to find someone who knows a bit about eposom salts. I regret losing the location of that thread, because there were some knowlegable people there. However, maybe this thread will produce the info I need.

BTW-- I've tried low-carbing. In my specific case, I can't get enough calories that way to keep me going. I have a very high metabolism and that, along with my digestive problem, requires that I eat high calories, high fat content, high glucose (sucrose? dextrose? Sugar). Just the oposite of normal folks. Dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Last edited by Pathfinder : Mon, Sep-15-03 at 22:16.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 12:35

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

I found this information that might be helpful...sorry I don't know how to do a link so you may have to cut and paste.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/milk_of_magnesia.htm

seems that the epsom salt is the same as milk of magnesia? I put in epsom salt constipation and this page came up.

hope this helps...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 12:37

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

hey, I guess I found out how to do a link, huh? lol, :-D! learn something new everyday!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 20:09

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lynn
I found this information that might be helpful.seems that the epsom salt is the same as milk of magnesia? I put in epsom salt constipation and this page came up.
hope this helps...

Not the same actually... milk of magnesia contains a lot of magnesium, which is basically what epsom salt is. Milk of magnesia has the same basic effects as eposm salts... but epsom salts is much more powerful. For most folks, using epsom salts internally is like using a bulldozer to dig a hole for a rose bush. Overkill, major. Usually, most folks would only take 1 tsp epsom salts in a glass of water. I take 4 tbsp.

The article your provided was very helpful. Thank you. It stated several things of interest:

1) It is difficult to overdose on magnesium. Possible, but difficult.
2) One has to take calcium with it, as they are both complimentary and conflictory with one another.
3) The sign of magnesium overdose is fatigue (which I have often) but there is no general danger as both kidneys and intestines void excess magnesium.
4) This is generally what I do intentionally... I apparently take enough magnesium that the body voids it through the intestines, which draws water and helps solve my problem.

"When given orally in sufficient quantities, magnesium citrate or sulfate (Epsom salts) is not fully absorbed but attracts water into the colon and thus acts as an effective laxative."

Fortunately, rather than an abusive substance, magnesium is greatly required by the body, and the body rids itself of excess amounts. Magnesium can rid the body of excess heavy metals. So it seems the stuff is actually good for me.

I would think, from the indications I've read, that large doses of Epsom salts taken internally (by large doses, I mean from 2-4 tbsp in 12 oz water, fully disolved) might also be good to assist in cleansing diets, as it causes the intestines to dump just about everything they contain, including some undesirables such as toxic chemicals.

So again, thank you very much for sending that helpful URL. It eased my mind a great deal.