Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:58

Plan: adkins
Stats: 200/195/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress:
Default Upcoming Run

I am just a half-week past induction and I have a 10 mile running event coming up in two weeks. I usually "wog"--walk and jog, more walk. My friends are encouraging me to blow-off Adkins and do the traditional carb-out the week before the run. I do not want to. I have lost some weight already, my clothes fit better and, in general, I feel better. I have noted that my craving for sweets is gone and that I have a lot more general energy during the day. But I am concerned about sustained energy. I went on a 40-mile very hilly bike ride last weekend and the last 1/2 of the ride was a real slog! Had a lot of trouble getting up those hills. Any suggestions for getting through the 10-miler? I am not looking to win, place, or show nor even for a PBR. I just want to survive and limp across the finish line.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 12:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 180/168/155 Male 68
BF:???
Progress: 48%
Default run

Hey Runner---I don't think you should have too much trouble with a ten miler, I would suggest a high fat breakfast the day of the run, that should hold you and get the fat burning too. I have run a lot of marathons in the past, and it seems that no matter what I eat, I start to run out of energy before the finish, you just have to make up your mind that you will cross the line, and you will. The last marathon I ran, I placed 9th and had torn the ligaments in my knee about 4 miles from the finish line, I finished because I told myself I would. You will do ok if you have been putting the right amount of work on the road. Good luck with your run---Taku John
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:15

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Save your energy...

During my trainnig for my first half-Marathon I read many different opinions about what to do, what to eat, what to drink.

There are two things every expert seems to agree:
1. do not try any new on the day before or on the day of the race. (Means new food, drink as much as new amount, carb/fat/protein percentage etc. - that you never tried during your trainings.)
2. most of the not pro runner run out of energy not becasue of the lack of proper nutrion, but because started too fast.

My recommendation: eat the same food for dinner on the day before your race. Eat something similar you usually eat for breakfast, min. 2 hours before the race. (I hope you always have nice big breakfast:-) Drink plenty of water... During the race, if there are water stations, drink when you feel thirsty. If you ever tried any energy drink (Gatorade, etc.) and they offer, you might chose it. (Those little paper cups you can see on races are around 1/3 cups. Lets say you drink 3 of it - means only summ 15-20 carbs.)
After the race drink plenty of water, and have a nice big high protein meal.
Start slowly, save you renergy for the second part:-)

My best wishes:-)
The most important: ENJOY it:-))

For the future. According my experience, if you increase your weekly training milage slowly, gradually, your body will adjust, learn to use fat instead of carb. You will be very suprised to see how little carb you need to RUN all the 10 miles...

Last edited by Galadriell : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 19:29.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 07:35

Plan: adkins
Stats: 200/195/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to both of you. I shall heed your advice. I did 8 miles last Saturday morning--walking almost all of it, due mostly to an ankle problem (old injury I keep re-injuring). I took a couple of those little energy shot packets along with me to use just in case I "bonked." But I didn't! I was a little tired afterwards, but not exhausted. That really gave me some confidence. Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your counsel and support.