Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 23:55

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Lightbulb Zone Tip - Sugar

Not all sugars are created equal. Regardless of what form you choose, use in moderation. Fructose is preferred. Here's why:
Table sugar is composed of half glucose and half fructose, which is quickly broken down into simple sugars. The glucose half is rapidly absorbed and enters the bloodstream quickly because it is already in the form your body can use. Fructose, although rapidly absorbed, has to be converted into glucose in the liver BEFORE it enters the bloodstream in a usable form (glucose). The result is an overall low rise in blood glucose.
The granulated form (NOW brand) looks just like regular sugar and is a little sweeter (IMO). Most often, I use Splenda. It comes in a box ($3.28) and "measures just like sugar". It has no effect on insulin and is a Zone preferred artificial sweetener. Some people like Stevia, but I find it has a bitter taste.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 09:13

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

That's a very useful post re: fructose. I never got 'got it.'

Re: stevia, I agree with you that it CAN be bitter, however, I use the drops (non alcohol base) and that works great. Brownies cooked using stevia are available at the Whole Foods bakery in Austin that are AWESOME but I haven't tried any recipes myself.

Splenda may seem easier in recipes but it doesn't (always?) behave like sugar. Around xmas I made cookies, formed into little balls, and they STAYED little balls - didn't flatten out. Maybe some of you about knew that but I was a bit surprised! Suppose it just doesn't melt in high temps like sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:42

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

How about unrefined sugar? I am assuming it will be broken down quickly but I thought I read somewhere it doesn't.

I use it in my occassional coffee or recipe that calls for a touch of sugar. Otherwise I use Splenda which isn't that often. I just don't seem to like Splenda with anything caffeinated like coffee and chocolate.

If fructose is better has anyone tried it in coffee? Does it have a bitter aftertaste?

Thanks,
~Danielle
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I like fructose and use it in limited amounts. It's useful in cake recipes, adding texture and moisture that Splenda alone can't give.

My favorite recipe that I created uses 1/4 cup splenda mixed with 1/4 cup crystalline fructose. The fructose adds needed moisture and makes it more like a real "cake."

I tried sugar alcohols, as only 1/2 the carbs are absorbed by the body, but they made me terribly sick - bloating, gas, etc. It's just not worth it. The brand I used was called Diabetisweet, and I do not recommend it. Maybe others are better. I heard of a sugar alcohol called erithotol (spelling?), that does not cause stomach problems and is not absorbed by the body. It's very hard to find...if anyone has bought it please respond and let me know where! Sugar alcohols are great to bake with because they act just like sugar in cake recipes, but those gastric side effects are murder!