Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:07

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

[QUOTE=kc766]
Of course, this was all just a farce - as many sales pitches are. I took a part-time job there that summer while I was out of school. Once behind the scenes, I was amazed (remember, I'm a naive teen here!) to learn that the lady in the white lab coat had NO medical background of any kind. A headhunter had grabbed her for this job, her background was in sales. She had NEVER been on the diet herself. When I asked her about it she said "Oh, I just say that to get people to sign a contract. I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog". She would make fun of people behind their backs and talk about their measurements, etc. The "real" psychologist was a college student. The "real" nurse really was real though... an LPN if I remember correctly. Who knows about the doctor...

You should have sued the asses off them for fraud/misrepresentation!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:10

Plan: general low carbing
Stats: 225/200/150 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

My sympathies on your Father's death - here he was doing something to save his life, and the process took his life. That really hurts my heart. I also have a friend who had the surgery at least 15 years ago, and she said that she could eat all day as long as she didn't stretch out the pouch - and she too has gained all of the weight back. No matter what WOL/WOE we choose, we need to learn portion controls. That is why I have decided to not even check into the Dessert Forum - why get myself interested in low-fat goodies, when I can eat lots of good foods, just l.c.ing it.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:16
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

That ticks me off. You CANNOT eat all the time and gorge yourself. It is about eating until you are SATISFIED.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:21
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoshie
I really don't think Star is interested in losing weight. I think she is afraid that people will "view" her in a different light. Look at al Roker.
Starr makes it a point all the time to say how happy she is with her body.
I know that I used to say that too lol. now I say I am happy with the size I am too but I still want to lose more weight. I am happier with myself now then when I was 219 but not as happy as I will be at 150. Joy Behar is just not my cup of tea. I stopped watching the view after the 2nd time Joy was supposed to go on a diet and failed. sorry to ramble.
Hey, I could be wrong but if she is so "happy" why does she try to cover up. I have observed her trying to pull her jacket closed when it is obviously too tight. Or kind of "hiding"---it's a subtle thing but I know because when I was bigger I did that too. I bet if someone told her that she could be the "right" size tomorrow with no grief/effort/restrictions she would say yes as most big people would.

I wish Starr would try it. Wouldn't it be amazing her losing on Atkins and Joy on Jenny?

Peace
red
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/196.5/170 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:tooooo much
Progress: 22%

I agree she will more than likely gain the weight back. I too was on something similiar to JC, but when you get tired of buying there expensive food,and start eating alittle of whats real it creeps back. I'm happy for her that she finally thinks she's found something that works, but we here are happy doing it the LC way.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:43

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I don't know I don't think I can imagine Star being little, Star is just Star as she is. It would be pretty odd, she seems like she doesn't mind her obesity, but then again who fesses up on national TV they feel bad about their weight?????
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableLC
I don't know I don't think I can imagine Star being little, Star is just Star as she is. It would be pretty odd, she seems like she doesn't mind her obesity, but then again who fesses up on national TV they feel bad about their weight?????

Oprah...and she lost hers by "getting rid of the white stuff...pasta, potatoes, sugar".
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:49
Registered Member

Stats: 220/195/145 Female 5'9"
BF:31%
Progress: 33%

Joy is annoying and the commercial is horrible. when she's sitting there eating and eyeballing her "co-star" she looks like she's ready to eat the table cloth. chomp chomp chomp.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:55

Stats: 257.2/252.8/165 Female 5'9"
BF:less than it was!
Progress: 5%

in the past i have been on Nutrisystems, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Physicians Weight Loss,.. etc. etc. They are all just "temporary" portion control diets. Of course i regained after each one. I never even made it to my goals. Unless they can meld into your everyday WOE they can never become a WOL like Atkins.

you know when i started this diet i thought how expensive it was to be on it, but when i think of all the wasted money i spent on all those other diets.. at least i know i can stick to this one and it works and its healthy and it doesnt have all that preservative stuff in it unless you choose for it too.

Im tired of everyone bashing Atkins. I just want to scream out to the world (which i do at every chance) IT WORKS!!!!

ok i feel better now. lol
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 05:35

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

Potatofree I'm so sorry to hear about your dad

You are correct, Weight Loss Surgery isn't the "CURE" it only helps the symptoms. I am not knocking it, I actually thank God for it because it saved one of my friends life, she was over 500 lbs and couldnt breath, she was on a breathing machine. So its really ment for people like her, not folks that need to lose 150 lbs and are just frustrated w/dieting (which I also know some one like this).

My friend who had the surgery will tell you that she struggles with the thought and habbit of going back to her old eating ways and this scares her to no end. She is only 30 lbs from her goal weight which I am so happy for her.... A Good Doctor will not perform the surgery and throw you out there to fend on your own. These people need to see councelors and dietitions. Its a struggle like anything.

My final words for people who do have the surgery is.... I think your very brave to do this, I wish you much success and happiness
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 05:43

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

I never watch the View but saw an hour special on Al Roker last night and it really opened my eyes to him. He tried to hide that he got that surgery. He didnt even tell his mother. That poor guy tried every diet, and tried to exercise and nothing worked. His BMI was 50, he was going to die. His fathers last wish was that he lose weight and he took the risk.
What happened to him after surgery was he lost his appetite, something that never happened before in his life. He does not endorse this or any other weight loss measure. And he said that even with this weight loss stalls.
Its easy for Joy to bash Atkins because a lot of the portion control messages are not up front. "Eat liberally" and then a list of food is contradicted by "eat until satisfied not full". And recommended portion sizes are also in between the lines and you really have to study the atkins books and fact sheets to learn what size a normal portion of protein is-a pack of cigarettes it turns out. It took me a month of failure to find that out and that you can only eat a butter sauce once a week.
I think there is room in this world for people to disagree about things, but no one can disagree that the supersize portions have supersized this country and is spreading around the globe-check the low carb studies forum for 2 articles I posted on the issue.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 18:33

Plan: Atkins/NHE
Stats: 100/92/92 Female 5.2
BF:
Progress: 100%

LOL, I thought I was the only one who watched the episode and got mad.

I am a big fan of the view and like Joy the best becasue she says what she feels and not hide or sugar coat it.

However, I didn't appreciate their attitude toward Atikns/Low carb diet. Before Dr. Atkins passed away, whenever he was on the show, they shrugged off or eyeballed him when he told them to limit carb and they always told him they would never able to give up bread and pasta.

They always made comment that Atkins/Low carb is bad for you right after his segment was over. And I thougt that their attitude toward Dr. Atkins or ppl on Atkins/Low carb is rude even before I was on Atkins.

And I think last week or week before, Joan Lundon was on the show promoting her 'benefiber' and she said "becasue y'all on a high protein and low carb diet, you don't get enough fiber...you need to eat high carb food to get enough fibers blah blah" and all the women on the pannel agreed with her.

High carb food like potatoes? or bread and rice? Puh ha ha

I think they should carefully learn the facts before they criticize about Atkins/Low carb diet or anything else.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 20:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

And have you looked at the carb count on Benefiber???? Nice amount of sugar...<shudder>
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 04:27

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Whatever their salaries, they're all overpaid. It amazes me that this "gab show" is still on. All they do is b***h for an hour.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 07:00

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

I don't understand how you cannot have enough fiber.. of course it's a choice on where you get your carbs from.. but really, I've never eaten so much roughage in my life... that's FIBRE... good fibre... not something chalky or pasty laden with sugar tomake it more palateable.

It saddens me to think that Dr. Atkins was treated disrepectfully in his lifetime, this man should be counted as a Saint for how much he loved mankind.. enough to stand up to the powers that be and say "enough of the lies"... bread/pasta/sugar.. these things will kill... and he wouldn't let that go by without a fight. God bless his soul for the caring he showed us all... and continues to show through his legacy of the NDR and AFL books.

I have only watched the View a few times and I didn't like their complaining and whining, and insulting behaviour... I have better things to do with my time.

You know, it doesn't matter what they say.. if they annoy us.. imagine there are lots more people out there who they annoy just as much.. and so I think their opinions matter little.

Dr Atkins has probably MILLIONS of people losing weight all over the world on his WOE... and what's more... KEEPING IT OFF... now THAT speaks a lot more volume than a airhead on a morning b*tch fest on tv. You know?

Blessings!

Last edited by shaerat : Sat, Sep-20-03 at 07:03. Reason: I can't add... ;)