Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Question Why only 1/2 Avocado during induction?

I have been wondering why Dr. Atkins limits avocados to 1/2 a day during Induction.

To me it seems like the perfect food ... high in good fat and fiber.

I am wondering why he would limit its intake to only 1/2 a day.

Does anyone know the reasoning? I am having problems finding out why on the atkins website so I thought I would pick the brains of those in the know here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:33

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm not sure if this is the case specifically for avocados, but many of the limits Dr. A specifies during Induction are because it's easy to overindulge in these items, and he crafted induction to make almost anyone succeed.

For instance, Nuts. Nuts are great. However, if you're still fighting cravings, you may eat TONS of nuts. Once you're solidly in ketosis, your appetite will likely be suppressed to the point when you can control your portions of nuts.

In ketosis, it's tricky to gain weight, but if you consume too many calories, especially of dietary fat, you'll make it so that your body does not need to burn your body fat for fuel, defeating the purpose of the diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:54

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Exactly. I now know I have to stay away from heavy cream. I prepared home made ice cream (from the recipes back of Atkins book). It's fairly good, if you're not particular about your ice cream.

However, it pushed me big time into cravings. All I could do to not binge.

Shirley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:59

BF:

I thought that might be the reason ... but I can control my portion size .. I don't overdo it ... I would just like to have a whole one instead of a half a day.

Helps me stay full longer unlike some other high fat foods like macadamia nuts.

Sbear, I know what you mean on the heavy cream ... I could DRINK the stuff by itself. Have to be sure to limit myself to some in my decaf in the morning and be done with it for the rest of the day. It is soooo yummy tho
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 14:02

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

mssusthang:

While Atkins works better the more diligent one is to the program, I don't think an extra half an avocado will hurt you.

It's your life Avocado away, I say!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 14:36

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

Another reason may be because an avacado is a fruit and fruits are to be limited on induction.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:56

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I think the primary concern is the number of carbs in a whole avocado...you can blow a significant portion of your daily 20 carbs on a single Florida Avocado (27 carbs - 16.2 fiber = 10.8 ECC according to the Dr. Atkins' Carbohydrate Gram Counter).

But the same source lists Haas (California) Avocados at less than one-third of that (12 carbs - 8.4 fiber = 3.6 ECC).

So, as I need the boost in my HDL Cholesterol (and I really looove avocados), I tell myself that my Haas Avocado is the LC version of the permitted fruit (can you tell that "rationalizations" are my weak point?)

My guess is that the original prohibition was actually written knowing that Haas Avocados aren't always available in all areas of the country. BTW, watch out for the new avocado variety boasting "low-fat." I don't have the numbers, but I suspect the trade-off may be increased carbs!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 12:36

BF:

WHY oh WHY would anyone want a LOW-FAT avocado????