Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/310/240 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Blood Sugar..(Diabetic LC folks)

I have been LC WOL for 39 days!!!

My blood sugars are averaging 103 mg/dl!!!!

that is down from 155mg/dl!!!

I have not lost much weight in the past 5 days

(thats ok I accepted that it would slow down sooner or later)

but the drop in my blood sugar shows me that Dr. Atkins rocks!

All you Type 2 Diabetics or friends and family members of Type 2 Diabetics should relly give LC WOL another try

if anyone wants encouragement give me a call I will pump up anyone with the positives of LC WOL

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 12:54

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I had readings up to 240, now I'm always around 75-85! It took about a week or a little less for it to drop, not long at all.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:53

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Pshinn,

My hubby works with a guy who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. This co-worker, who is 100 lbs. overweight, had been speculating about Atkins but had never committed to this WOE. His doctor told him that he would have been dead if had been on Atkins. Now since he has been diagnosed with diabetes the doctor has been sending him to a "nutritionist" who has put him on a high carb diet. That totally blows my mind! As you can imagine. Hey guy, gimme some feedback. I have information to send him as soon as I get some new inkjets. But someone who is in the same boat would have alot of leverage on this poor guy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:16
Registered Member

Stats: 345/310/240 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 33%

send me a pm and I will give you my email address
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 173/160/140 Female 5 ft. 3 in
BF:36.9%/36.9% 15%
Progress: 39%

THAT IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Ihavent been on the plan very long i need some advise .Did you eat alot of veggies and fruit I am not right now . I am steel on my oral med for diabetis i am afraid if i eat up to 30 carbs a day that will be to much and i will never get off this meds Any ideas
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 173/160/140 Female 5 ft. 3 in
BF:36.9%/36.9% 15%
Progress: 39%

T he last few days my bloodsugar has been up 122 after a meal but at night they are 106 and in the morning 104 i take 4 pills a day timed capsules 500 mg each
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile

I have been eating low carb the Bernstein way for two years now and have had no significant weight loss (but good bg levels). I recently switched over to The Carbohydrate Addicts Life Span Program and was rather wary about the daily reward meal however since being on their plan my bg levels have fallen even lower and I find that I can have a few carrots, peas and potatoes within the confines of the reward meal without any effect on my bg levels whatsoever. I am thrilled with the diet as it does allow me to have the odd treat without any ill effects. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this plan and if so, what are their results? Oh yes, in the last three weeks on the new plan I have lost 11 pounds.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:21
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Hi Valkyrie:
i've read the Carbohydrate addicts book, and it's similar to most of the plans except reward meal. i've never tried it but now i'm positive that very low carbing makes my BG run a bit higher. my guess is that very lc doesn't spike my insulin, so i try to be reasonable with carbs. also, i'm cutting back on fat since it makes me gain weight too. any plan which works for you is the right one.
Thanks,
dina
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:15

Stats: 200/193/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Everyone,

I came back to the board to ask a question about something that happened to me tonight and found this thread. I am diabetic, I've been on Atkins for approx 2 1/2 weeks, I am type 2 BUT also insulin dependent. I've watched my bg slowly going down everyday, and I'm now in the 'normal' range, on fasting, pre-meal and post meal.. which is all wonderful! However, I did talk to my doctor about slowly lower my insulin dosage and he agreed, I'm only down 4mg's a day from my original dose. I have never experienced bg that is 'too low' until tonight. My bg pre dinner was 99, I took my insulin and it was approximately 30mins before I sat down to eat, after taking about 2 bites of my food, I felt very strange...I felt like every sense was blurred, had cold sweats, and shallow breathing. I got my meter and check my bg, it was 49! *sigh* I stupidly did not want to take my glucose tablets because they are 4 carbs each!! *Feeling very stupid right now*. My daughter got me some apple juice, it was fermented *lol*, I started eating some applesauce and kept feeling worse. My daughter called 911 and while waiting for the paramedics to arrive, took my bg again, it was dropping, down to 40. The paramedics arrived, my daughter was explaining all to them as they hooked me up to all the monitors and oxygen. I had continued to eat some of the chicken salad that was my dinner, along with a Root Beer *full sugar kind *, when paramedics took my bg, it was 59. They were here about 40 mins and wanted me to go to the hospital, but I felt strongly that I would be ok if I continued to eat, including more carbs than I am suppose to have and some sugar. When they left my bg was up to 69. To make a long story short.. oops too late.. I did manage to get my bg back up to normal range and actually as I write this, it's 140.

I knew when I committed to the Aktins WOL, my bg would improve, but I had NO thoughts that I would ever be in the dangerously low range! The truth is, it scared the you know what out of me! I'm calling my doctor first thing in the morning to discuss, cutting my dosage more aggressively, as I would much rather work on bring my bg's down a little slower than have this happen again!

Have any of you ever experienced this? I know that this is something that happenes to Type 1's, but I've yet to meet a Type 2 that has had this problem.

Whew! Thank you so much all of you, for letting me vent about this. Any input of advise, would be much appreciated!

Thank you again...
NoSurender - 6 pounds lighter today than 2 weeks ago!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:31

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

My BG was 60 in my doctor's office, after lunch. He asked me how I felt when he called with the results. I said fine...why? He said to stop Metformin...only drug I was on. I have had a couple of 50's and felt normal....weird....just wish I knew what my basal BG used to be before I began Type !!.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 23:48

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I was diagnosed Type II in April after scoring 11.6 (twice) on an HbA1c. My doc wrote out a scrip for Metformin on the spot.

I never filled it. I picked up a BG meter, and spent a week establishing "baseline" levels...all in the 240-360+ range. Beginning the following week, I started the Atkins program.

By the end of my second week on Atkins, I had lost 21 pounds and my BG readings were running less than half of the baseline readings I had recorded. Since week 6, I have only had 2 readings above 120...and those followed the birthday dinner I've treated my wife to for the last 20 years...pizza and garlic bread in a nearby town! Every other reading I've had for the last 12 weeks has been well within normal range! (generally between 85-110 mg/dL.) My doc wrote "diabetes no longer appears to be a factor for you" after evaluating my labs at week 12.

I'm not saying that Atkins will provide the same results for every diabetic...or even every Type II diabetic. But I think it certainly deserves a test before going the drug route.

I asked my doc why he hadn't suggested a LC diet in the first place. His response was "not too many of my patients have the will-power to stick with that for long enough to see results, and most people come to me looking for a solution that won't require big changes in their lifestyles."

I guess I can see his point...but I'd rather be thinner and healthier than oversized and medicated, given the choice.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 00:19

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

"will power?" "big changes?" as you know by know, Atkins is a very satifsying WOE, the official ADA diet which encourages you to eat lots of starches but never have any butter on your vegetables or cream on your pasta, now that to me is hard, too radical a change. Oh well. Glad to see such good results.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 08:57
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSurender
Hi Everyone,
Have any of you ever experienced this? I know that this is something that happenes to Type 1's, but I've yet to meet a Type 2 that has had this problem.

I'm sorry that you had such a scary experience, NoSurender. I hope that things are going better today. At least it means that your blood sugar levels are dropping.

I don't think that the key to a problem like this is whether someone is Type 1 or Type 2. The key is taking insulin. Insulin is going to "get rid of" any glucose that it finds and if more insulin has been injected than the carbs eaten require, blood sugar levels can really drop. We hear about this more with Type 1s because all Type 1s have to inject insulin (since they don't make it on their own), whereas many Type 2s do not require insulin injections. Who knows, if you continue to low carb, maybe you'll someday be entirely off of the insulin.

Last edited by CarolynC : Wed, Sep-17-03 at 08:58.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 16:09

Stats: 200/193/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 10%

Carolyn, thanks so much for the support and valuable information!
Since being dx'd with diabetics 8 yrs ago, my problem has always been trying to get my bg's within the 'target' range *never having much luck*. So this was definitely a new experience for me! But the good thing to come out of it, is now my family and myself are prepared if it should happen again. And yes, my bg's have been great since starting Atkins, I'm thrilled with that, as is my doctor!

Thanks again.. and yes today is a better day!

NoSurender
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:10

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

Hey everyone... I was wondering if you could give some advice...

My dad went to the Dr's today for the result of his GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) (75g)
Fasting: 126
1Hr: 260
2hr: 214

According to the 2002 American Diabetes Assoc. that would make him diabetic.

He is 5' 6" (76 inches) tall and weighs 253 lbs. He is 56 years old. They gave him some dietary exchange list, and told him he has to excercise, or at least go for a walk for 20/min everyday.

Does anyone have any additonal advice?

thanks
korry