Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%
Default Diet Pepsi Concern

I am leaving for over seas for three weeks...I know they don't have Diet Rite where I am going....(nor fresh cream for my jello which I am taking dry mix )...
Is it a mortal sin to have Diet Pepsi...? I don't drink coffee, nor tea...and other than water, Diet Rite (pepsi before induction) is my only pleasure....and curbs my massive sweet tooth cravings.
What do you think? Should I stay away from it and just drink water while I am away...or will one a day be a hazard to me.
Your opinion counts with me. Granmums

(sorry this was posted elsewhere in the board, checked the wrong box)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/182/147 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have pepsi and coke, diet of course. I have been unable to find a drink in the UK that does not contain aspartmane or whatever it is and I have had no problem. From posts I have read on this forum I am under the impression that the caffine can cause cravings for sweet things with some people but again I have not had a problem and I used to eat loads of sweeties before I became a low carber.

My advice to you would be have the odd one but don't have it as continuous drink and have water instead.

Hope this helps and hope you have a good holiday
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:34

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I drink caffeine free Diet Coke daily. It is the one thing I do that goes somewhat against the WOE but so far no problem. IMHO I would try the diet pepsi in limited amounts and watch for trouble. If you think it's slowing your loss the stop. If not just cut down....we're probably better off without it.
Personally I would have more concern with the caffeine as I think it slows my loss. I've all but given up caffeinated drinks.
Have a blast over seas!
Also congrats on the excellent progress so far!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:43
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

When in Rome...drink up and enjoy your trip!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:50
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I would say go ahead and drink it... at least you will see what it does to you... maybe not every day... but every other day??
I drink diet coke/pepsi on the weekends in my rum and diets... doesn't seem to stall me... diet rite the rest of the week.

Have a great time.... and good luck...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:48

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

You'll probably have an easier time finding Coca-Cola products overseas... Pepsi isn't nearly as popular. I don't know what country you're heading to, but in many countries, Diet Coke is not called Diet Coke -- It's called Coca-Cola Light... so be sure to ask for a "Coca-Light."

I think it also tastes a little different... maybe they use a higher ratio of syrup/soda water? If that's the fact, remember that more syrup = more caffeine!!

Have fun!
~D
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Thanks for all your replies...I am going to middleeast...for an inlaws funeral. They have pepsi as I have been there before and bought it...I doubt if they have caffiene free though...thanks you all for your support and advice...I love ya all and this board soooo much!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 00:00

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi Granmums--

I've traveled in many parts of the world where canned beverages are the only source of safely drinkable liquids. Even bottled water can be suspect in areas where the financial incentive is so great to refill and reseal bottles!

I recall reading an article which mentioned that Dr. Atkins had removed caffinated beverages from his list of acceptable foodstuffs only after 25% of his clinic patients reported some degree of cravings for sweets after drinking them. This tells me that you have 3 chances in 4 of being okay with your Diet Pepsi from that aspect. As for the aspertame content, I think it is unlikely that a week or two of drinking aspertame-containing beverages could pose any significant health risk.

I'd say you will be doing a marvelous job if you can stay close to your LC menu while far from North America. There are plenty of things to worry about for the traveler these days, and diet sodas would probably be pretty far down on my list of perils if I were returning to the Middle East right now!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 00:41
Registered Member

I agree with the perils of traveling to the middle east...need I say my diet is keeping my mind off of things that are really bothering me. But, we have to live our life and not be afraid...although we can't help but be afraid in this crazy world we are living in. If I could stay home I would, but there are issues that need to be taken care of...and let me tell you...I have a feeling Pepsi, coke, or diet koolaid is gonna help tremendously. Wish me luck...and thanks for your comments...luv em!