Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/192/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Ice Cream and sugar alcohols

I have a couple of question for everyone:

1. I found these great chocolate ice cream bars by Blue Bunny (sweetened with Splenda) which have 10 carbs but have 4 sugar alcohols. I can subtract those sugar alochols to get my net carbs right?

2. Is it bad to have one of these bars a day? It's only 6 carbs and the rest of my meals are very low carb. I will stay under 20 while on induction.

3. Where can I find LeCarb ice cream at and is this the best choice for low carb ice cream?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 23:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

1. Yes, you subtract the sugar alcohols to get net carbs of 6g.

2. Sugar alcohol sweetened goodies and candies aren't permitted until you're at OWL level. Only the low-carb protein bars with glycerine are allowed on Induction.

3. Some members have commented that they've found the LeCarb ice cream at SuperWalmart.

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 09:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't think you should have these on induction even if you're within your carb limit. The point of induction is to detox your body of carb cravings and develop some healthy eating habits. Supporting a daily ice cream fix is not what DR. Atkins had in mind IMO.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 09:37

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

IMHO I wouldn't eat these yet. During the first weeks of induction I don't think it's a good idea to start looking for was to get comfort foods or treat type stuff so soon. It's like looking for a shortcut before even getting going. I would stick to only unprocessed food. Meats, veggies, eggs, cheeses (in controlled quantities). Lots & Lots of water. No caffeine. Wait for the treats until you have made some good progress. Have you read DANDR. . I can't emphasize enough how benefical it is to do this. I'm just about 3/4 through it for the 2nd time and will read it again. I love seeing the success people have with this WOE and I look forward to your success. See you at the "Thinish Line"!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 10:05

Stats: 210/192/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks for the replies. I am just in the process of transitioning to OWL. But, I agree I will take it slow with the Ice Cream. But it's just soooooo good.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 12:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

That's the reason I had to quit keeping the ice cream freezer "handy" by storing it in the freezer. (I have the electric kind where you freeze the base,so you don't need ice and rock salt...VERy nice.) It was WAY too easy to whip up a batch!!! Now, if I have to climb up to get it from a high shelf and freeze it several hours I find the urge is long gone before I get it made! it's just way too easy to grab the bars and cups....(I have the atkins cups AND the sugarfree Schwans cups in the freezer...thanks to this thread, they're screaming my name!!!!! Argh!)

It's like Dr Phil says...(I hear you all groaning!!) If you have to put a lot more effort into a food, it's harder to go out of control.