Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 171/155/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Exclamation so much misinformation in the media

Hi y'all,

Is anyone else facing resistance from their GP or family? I was sternly warned by my doctor that fad diets like these DO NOT WORK--which must make some of you laugh. I noticed that the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (the mouth piece of Orthodox Dieting World) does not endorse the Atkins or similar diets...they are still pushing the low fat diet. Also there are frequent news reports about the dangers of "high protein" diets. Does anyone know of a real case reported in a journal of a person who really experienced kidney failure or systemic problems while on a low carb diet (properly following it of course)? I would really like to meet this boogey man who the media keep referring to.

I've tried the low fat diet (so did my husband-who has high col ) and neither of us had any real success on it...though I lost a few pounds, my husband's col actually went up--and WE REALLY FOLLOWED THE DIET RELIGIOUSLY! Now I find through reading, that this is a common occurrence, yet we were made to feel as though we weren't following the diet properly....ie: the treatment is fine....but the patient didn't work.

I am thinking about writing an article and submitting it to a major newspaper or magazine...about the current controversy.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:

Not that I"m a professional, but this is not a fad diet. This is a way of eating and a way of life. I've been successful at this diet (down 6lbs in 7 days). If you can change your entire life style then you can do this. Most fad diets consists of 5 bannannas a day and 5 glasses of milk, or cabbage soup only. No one can live off that forever. But you can do this forever! Just omit the carbs!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 09:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Jenn,

An article! That's a great idea! Click on the "Studies" section from the menu above, and you will find great source of refrences to research in support of low-carbing, actual medical studies published in scientific journals.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 10:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Misinformation abounds, and the best way to "get to" people is to lose weight, lower your cholesterol levels and be astoundingly healthy. They will soon want to know what your secret is!

Beliefs are changed by one person at a time seeing the light.

Do you believe everything you read?

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

I too have found that people look at low carb way of life eating habits as fadish. However, I've found a wealth of information in Diana Schwarzbein's book the Schwarzbein Principle. In fact my Doctor is the one who referred me to it. She's on this diet too. It is less stringent than Adkins but is based upon the same principles. It all makes sense to me. But just try and explain to a low fat dieter what you're doing and they just look at you with the strangest face...

I've shared my diet info and book with my family (mom and 2 sisters) but there is no way I'm telling anyone at work. I'll just wait till they notice the drop in pounds, ask me how I did it... then I'll tell them. Like Karen said, "They'll soon want to know what your secret is".

Good luck.
Julie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-01, 09:11

Plan: Atkins, I am also reading about and exploring others
Stats: 110/105/100
BF:
Progress:

I'm glad to hear from others who are keeping their WOE a secret. I too read the Shwarzbein Principle and received a lot of support and confidence about what I am doing just from reading the book and following some of her suggestions. The one thing that is great about this WOE is that it is pretty easy to do without others noticing. For example, when I eat out and get a Cobb Salad or a piece of fish with only veggies and leave the baked potato on my plate, no one questions what I am doing or that I'm eating unhealthfully. I think it is people's perceptions of the lo-carb lifestyle that makes them think the way the do (i.e, if you're allowed to eat bacon, butter, heavy cream and steak than that must be all you're eating). I've been having a lot of fun with this eating style, have been feeling great all summer, have maintained an already slim weight effortlessly and have been able to cook foods that my whole family enjoys. (They were never interested in the grains and beans of the low fat style so I was always cooking two dinners.) I don't remember feeling this great long-term when I was eating low fat and I was also doing it perfectly (I'm like that).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-01, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default well put

Well said tbanks....I agree with everything you said. I think it's a misconception as well. I think it totally surprises folks when they see what we actually eat. Most folks know what bread does to them, but they still continue to eat it...the same with potatoes...(those are 2 easy examples).

By the way, I love Cobb Salad!!!! You got me thinking...that's just what I might make for supper.

See how just reading the forum gives us ideas.....
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 06:36

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Instead of leaving the baked potato or rice on your plate, why not ask your wait staff to hold the potato or rice? Normally when this is requested they will ask if you want a substitute. I ask for either a salad or steamed veggies.

So far anyone I have dined out with doesn't ask or say a word about me making the request. Some people just don't care for potatoes or rice with their dinner.