Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 05:19

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question "Doing my own thing" LCers...question

For those of you who are not following a particular plan (i.e. Atkins, CAD, Protein Power..etc.), what is "your" plan like and how has your success been? BTW...I started on Atkins and lost 40 lbs since 4/6/02 but got bored and unable to stay in ketosis.

I basically follow a lower calorie/higher carb program with exercise. I do well when I fall in the guidelines.

Calorie max: 1600
Carb range: 35-45
Fat percentage: 55-60 on average
Protein: Under 120 grams
Exercise - 3X week
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 05:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I basically did Atkins but never moved out of Induction even though I was already 5lbs from goal (I didnt have much to lose). I got to goal and was still eating same amount of carbs/cal etc. I lost too much weight and am now in the OWL phase of Atkins and scared to put the weight back on. I have been adding 5 carbs every 6 days..I just reached my 6 day mark and am at 30-35 NET carbs a day. Its very scary to have to gain weight back. I guess if you know enough to follow your own plan, its okay? I didnt and got myself into trouble.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 06:49

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Hi Yvonne,
I've been doing my own thing from the start - lower carb, but w/o giving up EVERYTHING. So far, it has been fairly sucessful and I've lost almost 35#'s. I am in no particular hurry to lose the rest though...
Here is a typical menu:
b- deep dish pizza quishe (w/ pepperoni, avacado, 1 small can lowest carb sauce, lots of cheese)
l - at work, salad (home, whatever is available in the fridge) - dark greens, cukes, tomatos, mushrooms, green peppers, asparagus, a protein - usually the night before's leftovers & full fat dressing
snack - usually I'll grab a handful of nuts or a fingerful of natural peanut butter (no one else eats my natural)
d - a meat & tons of veggies (spinach, sauteed asparagus, green beans) & maybe once every 2 weeks or so a baked potato or an ear of corn
sometimes I will have an after dinner snack - sf mint choco chip ice cream or sf jello w/ cool whip

Anyway - you can see where I diverse from Atkins a little w/ the occasional potato or ear of corn. I also tend to 'let go' on the weekends since we are always running here & there w/ our daughter or our atv's. It is hard to stay totally focused then & I will eat something higher carb (bbq ribs / Cracker Barrel) or the frankenfood's (ie - an Atkins bar)

I guess the biggest changes have been cutting out all breads / sugary sweets, adding TONS of veggies to my diet and exercise. I run at least 3 times a week 3 / 3.5 miles each time. Even though the weight is not falling off quick, I see a difference every week, usually in my clothes. I feel so much better overall & plan to stick with my LC WOL forever (hopefully!)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:41

BF:

I think the key for many people, including myself, to lowering carb intake without totally going low-carb and allowing for that occassional higher-carb veggie or legune would be exercise. I know when I slack off exercising...no weight or inch loss.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yvonne,
I've been doing my own thing since I sarted in May. I have read several of the LC books and through trial and error learned what works for me.
I really like a lot the principles from Dr. Schwarzbein (SPI & II) although her plan allows a lot more carbs and I'm not ready for that yet. But I think is a healthier and more balanced way of eating.
I know I haven't been loosing as fast as I would want to, but I don't want to feel deprived. I could go on induction and shave the rest of the lbs fast, but knowing me I know it would not work in the long run. This is they way I will eat for the rest of my life. So I keep introducing changes little by little and I notice a big difference. My body composition has changed a lot. I can wear "low rise" jeans now, size 29!
I went to a seminar presented by Anne Louise Gittleman, the author of the "FAt Flush" program. I introduced something simple from her program this past week: drink hot water with the juice of half a lemon. I don't know if it was this or what, but my scale marked 140 this morning! (I don't want to rush to change my stats... I've been 144 for the last month...) The hot water with lemon is supposed to cleanse your liver from toxins so you can burn fat more efficiently.
I think every person has to adjust these programs to what works for them and what produces RESULTS.
Congratulations on your loss. You look great.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 14:25

BF:

I drink lemon tea all the time. Told to drink it after surgery 2 years ago to reduce water weight/swelling and it works wonders. I drink 2-3 cups a day.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 15:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I started out just reducing my carbs. Started with a goal of 150, then 100, now 70. At the 150 and 100 levels, I was losing weight, but I suspect it was because of the lowered calories. I suspect what I'm doing now is a lot like OWL on Atkins. I'm trying to find that "sweet-spot" of carbs vs. fats vs. proteins that works for me.

I don't subtract fiber as I eat, although fitday tracks it for me. So I will take it into account when I'm analyzing my results. It's only recently that I feel like I really understand the whole concept of staying low carb enough to switch to fat burning.

I am still trying to figure out a way to do this without taking supplements. But that may not be an option and still keep to 70 carbs...

I probably couldn't have done induction when I started (didn't know enough about it when I started all this). I was close to 300 carbs per day. By reducing my carb counts, I was weaning myself off and I'm sure it made it easier for me. Plus I needed these 2 months to learn all about it!

You can look at my fitday link below to see what I'm eating. I don't have a gallbladder, so I'm trying to stay in the upper 50 to lower 60% range for fats.