Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%
Talking mommies of young children?

any young homemaker mommies out there who want to start a support sub-group?

anyone who wants to get really serious about this, count everything, leave no stone unturned, and get back to being what God intended you to be as a mommy?

as per young, i mean young at heart, no age cap. only qualification is that you have at least one child under five (even if its your youngest), and i'd prefer that you are utilizing a ketogenic approach to weight loss (makes things simpler. but don't feel excluded if you feel like you belong here!)

i've got a prospective 40lbs to contribute!!! anyone want to add to the pile of pounds lost forever in a trail of tiny footprints?

i know i need the encouragement- how do you deal with time for yourself for exercise- how do you do tae-bo quietly without waking the household??? i need to know that other people too have to cook three seperate meals at every meal time- one for dad, one for mom, one for babies! i want to find shoulders to whine on, and have my shoulder whined on too! i want to celebrate with others that share a similar *ahem* fate.

c'mon! anyone game?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/157/135 Female 5foot7inches
BF:bit to much
Progress: 21%

Hi Paradox, I'm in with you, we seem to have a lot in common, with weight and hight children and so forth, I think I need to check in with others to stay focused, I am 34, weighed in today at 160.5 thats a 9.5 lb loss so far and looking to lose about 25 more. I started on july 17th so its kinda going slow for me but i have found some of problems in my diet and have now fixed them, I have also had 2 major cheats that one of them lasted for 4 days (vacation) and one last week that was just for the meal.
I have two children, 10 and 5. My smallest started school this last week, but I am also a daycare provider for 3 small children that are 19 months, 22 months and 3 years old. They all keep me very busy and i am unable to excercise during the day except for a hour long walk everyday but because it is such a slow walk I dont really count it as excercise.
I have gotten out of the habit of typing in everything that i eat but that will be a great motivation to keep me accountable. I will check in everyday and hope we get some others to join us.
Talk with you soon
kara
today:
2 cups of coffee, with splenda , heavy cream
2 egg omlet with (get this it was so wonderful, I'm gonna call it a supreme pizza omlet.)
2 eggs, green onion, green pepper,monterary jack cheese, ham, cheddar cheese, pepperoni,and cilontro. It sounds like a lot in a omlet but all the ingredients were in very small amounts but it was totally awsome. water water water
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 21:41

Hi Kara!

Great meeting you. Glad you found my post. I have two children- Ti'anna, 31mo, and Ethan, 16mo. I also own a business from home office with my husband doing custom IT solutions for local businesses (our services run the gamut from hum-drum repair and custom system building to advanced networking and VPNs etc.). He moonlights as a cook at a local restaurant two days a week, and I moonlight doing freelance design work. Recently my projects have included graphic design subcontracted from the local graphic arts company, and interior redesign and implementation for a non-profit coffee house. We are currently stepping out of a couple of volunteer positions because frankly, we are just too darn busy!

However, losing weight can't wait- I have to be accountable, starting now, because if my health deteriorates the rest of the way into diabetes I will be of no use to either our blossoming business or my blooming babies. (My son has a vegetable brain as it is- he has practically lived in front of "educational" videos since he was 9mo- to my shame...)

My goals? to spend more time cleaning my house than remodeling others. To spend more time preparing meals for my children (and then sitting down eating *with* them, for crying out loud!) than I do raiding the kitchen myself and throwing a piece of self-service finger food in their direction. To fit into the beautiful wool gabardine pants I bought last year with my Victoria's Secret card and have never worn (and still haven't paid off.). To take my kids swimming. To wear shorts when its hot. To make love with the lights on as if they were off! (ah the difference a few pounds can make- something the thin folk just can't understand...) I have always been chunkyish- at my thinnest teen weight in absolute top form-muscular, LC, and planning my wedding- I was a whopping 135lbs (by the BMI standards, still overweight...). But its out of hand. High for me should be 148, not 188... *sigh*

You sound pretty busy too!

I am keeping track of every morsel I eat on FitDay. It doesnt take too long if you leave a piece of paper taped up in the kitchen to scribble things on so you can take it to the PC when you have the chance. Also, I recommend getting a little food scale (inexpensive ones are available everywhere) and just leave it on your counter with a measuring cup and measuring spoons right by it. Even if you don't physically measure things, having the visual reference seems to help immensely. Just making this change helped me break a month long stall.

I keep my calories at around 1800/day, fat around 130gr, protein no less than 110gr, and carbs under thirty but not less than 20 (I get too weak).

Your omelette sounds wonderful. My breakfasts are always sacrificed for time constraints. I usually eat my largest meal in the late afternoon, sometimes not even till late at night! (Bad, I know, but my schedule is not your typical housewife's either!) Keeping the calories coming all day isn't easy for me- I always forget to eat. But then I'm too ravenous later, and have the tendency to make poor food choices due to extreme hunger and urgency!

It will help me remain accountable too. You are a little closer to your goal than I am, but you are also a little older than me, which I am told makes a big difference in the speed with which one can be rid of the ick. Good luck with your new lifestyle today!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 23:01
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello I am 30 years old not a homemaker unfortunatately but I have 2 full time jobs one as a mommy and one as a nurse. I have 2 wonderful children AJ who is 5 is autistic and just started kindergarden...yea for him!! Hannah is 2 years old and she wants to go to school too! DH stays at home with the kids due to a lack of dependable reliable childcare and lack of a decent enough job market here to make it worth sending them to daycare.

I am soooo busy, I started on Atkins in July last year and lost my first 40 pounds on that. I changed to CAD basically because it simplified dinner with the family for me. I really enjoy CAD...although I am not currently in ketosis I try to keep my carbs around what I would be on Atkins premaintance about 50 a day.

I am desperately trying to get back in the habit of walking daily, it seems like i have soo much to do taking 15-30 minutes for myself is hard. Plus I am lazy and I would rather sit on the couch and watch mindless TV when I get a spare moment.

Anyway I am supposed to be working so i better get back to that. I bought a steak for 2 dollars at the store and it made last night meal for me and tonight...I'm having califlower with it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:19

Stats: 202/196/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi! I'm a 40 year old mom of a 7 month old. I'm just starting Atkins again. I have such a long way to go! I don't drink any water and I rarely get any exercise. And I'm a SAHM. DH and I are also trying to have another baby. I don't have ketone strips. I should probably get some... I try to eat mostly meat. I love salads and try to stick to the 2 cups. I just added nuts this week and I think I gained weight.

I lost about 45 lbs for my wedding 2 years ago doing atkins and when I quit smoking a month later I gained so much weight! Then I got pregnant and here I am... I'm so embarrassed to be fat. And I so don't want my son to be ridiculed because of me when he's older! You know, I have a few hundred pictures of him since he's been born and I'm in less than 10 of them. I don't want any record of me like this!!!! So... I so need to keep going!

It's nice to meet you!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:20

Stats: 202/196/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

oops! I just saw it said "young homemaker mommies" ...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:56

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi guys..I'm a stay at home mommie to my 7 month old Jakob. He's my first baby.
I first started Atkins last year before I got pregnant. I was the heaviest I'd ever been at 210 and in April of last year I started induction. In the first week I lost 12 lbs! By middle of May I was down to 193, but stalled. I was doing really well following the diet and the weight just didn't budge. Then I started gaining slowly. Beginning of June I found out I was pregnant! Well, I went off the diet while pregnant. I should have at least stayed low carb, by the 6 month I was borderline gestational diabetes. The Diabetic diet they put me on didn't feel right at all, way too many carbs! I followed Atkins maintenance and the sugar was back to normal. I got up to 232lbs, and was down to 217lbs the day he was born (February). I went down to 205 but then started gaining again...it didn't surprise me too much as I wasn't exercising or watching what I ate. Well finally in August I said, "Enough!"
In August I was losing two pounds a week...I've lost 8lbs so far on Atkins maintenance (no ketosis since I'm breastfeeding). This month I haven't lost anything yet, I guess I'm having a stall. I think there are a few factors as to why: 1) I hurt my back on Labor day weekend so I haven't been doing walks or pilates 2) I've been eating Advantage bars almost every day this week 3) Eating a little too many carbs...I've heard that as a breastfeeding mom I should keep the carbs between 50-100 grams a day. I've been up there near a hundred a lot, so maybe I just need to bring it down closer to 50 for a while.
My back is much better now, so starting tomorrow: do pilates 20 min a day 5 days a week (even if I get interrupted, make sure I finish the work out when I can). Don't eat any Advantage bars, and keep my carbs in a 50-75 grams a day range. We'll see what happens within a weeks time. You'll see in my sig line my goals...I've got 53 more pounds to lose and I sure could use the support. Paradox, I'm keeping track on Fitday.com also...it really does help me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Hi all, Wiggles please age is just a number, I'm 34 so not really what you would call a spring chicken either. And Paradox did mention in the first post, young at heart. so please join us, Hi Jaybird, its so nice to have this small group to be accountable to I think we can all be such a support to each other. Its so difficult trying to do it alone especially when you have small children eating all the good stuff around you. My two children are in school now during the day but I run a small daycare in my home and now I have 4 little ones running around (its nap time right now) and you know the fav's around here are chicken nuggets, mac & cheese and cookies. So I am faced with temptation all day long. I havent had many kids that enjoy the kinds of things we eat on this wol so i am cooking like 6 different meals a day.
Yesterday I had a cheat, I am so bummed, My family and i went to Bush Gardens, Its so hard to make the right choices there. I did stay away from the funnel cakes and all the really bad stuff but i paid 7 bucks for a half of a sandwich so you better believe I ate the bread. Wow its the first bread that I've had in almost 2 1/2 monthes, It was so awsome. Bread and Potatoes are the things that i miss most. But as much as we walked I can't see how it could have done much damage. I am still in Ketosis so I guess I will be fine. I have to say that after I ate it yesterday I felt so sick, that food seemed to sit right up under my boobs for hours. and I had a terrible headache afterwards too. Anyway I'm back to being good today, I even skipped my coffee which i love trying to make up the difference from yesterday.
Hey wiggles, about the pictures, dont be embarressed , you could hang it over his head for years when he gets older, and then just thin how proud of you he will be when he see's that you lost the weight by sticking to something like this. And now being a non smoker he will have such a better life because of that. That really is my next goal, I have tried to quit so many times and have failed every time , I'm going to do it one day and I know my kids will be so happy. My daughter is even quoting tv commercials now and she's 4. She said "can anyone tell me why smoking isnt stupid" ahhhh I wanted to die, I just told her "no I cant tell you why it isnt stupid " .
Jaybird, thats so good that you are doing the palates, I wish I would just do something other than walking , I have one of those 400. machines in my garage and its just sitting there,
Dang i didnt know I had rambled on that much, I will check in with you guys later,
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:16

just started my exercise routine with my husband today. whew. actually hungry for breakfast for the first time in weeks!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 15:58

BF:

Well, I restarted pilates after taking a week off while my back got back to normal. I took it really easy and didn't push myself too hard. I did the 20 minute work out and did modified versions of everything...but I feel better having done my work out for the day. I must do this every day this week. I will take weekends off. Oh, and every day or sometimes every other day i do some free weights...they are only 2 lbs weights but are good for me to start.
Kara-z once you quit smoking you will feel so much better. I know it is hard to quit though. When I got pregnant last year I quit cold turkey and haven't smoked since..let's see that was just about 15 months ago. My husband still smokes though, and sometimes under stress I really get the urge to take one of his cigs and smoke it...but I don't. It's hard though!! So good luck when you are ready to quit.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 04:12
Registered Member

Hi all, Just checking in, its been a really wild week here, I havent lost any pounds this week but i'm not discouraged. My hubby has decided to start this but is starting out slow, it figures he will still be eating a ton of stuff that I miss and will most likely lose a ton of weight, I hope not to much though cause now when i look back at our old pics he looks so skinny. I never relized it i guess because I was pretty skinny myself. But after 16 years well life just kinda happens right. Never to late to get some of this bulk off.
I hope everyone is sticking to it and loosing a bunch. I have my parents comming in tomorrow to visit so I wont be on to much next week. Good luck and good choices to you all.
kara
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 19:20

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 278/256/145 Female 5 ft 7in.
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

hello everyone....i'm 27 and a mother to a five year old daughter and a 6 month old daughter. I started Atkins 7 wks ago and am down 24 lbs. My goal is to reach 145...my mini goal is to reach 180 by June 1 2004. I am a very slow loser..maybe 1-2 lbs per week..and i consume under 20 carbs...I work part time driving a school bus for the town i live in....I am lazy when it comes to excersise but do push myself to walk 2 miles at least every other day....It is great to read about other people strugggle with weight loss..i don't feel so alone anymore. i don't have much free time in the day during the week, but i hope to come onto this messsage board everday. Good luck to you all
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 00:11

Thumbs up

welcome, txjennie! only have a second, but you sound like you need a big hug! nice to meet you, and good luck with your efforts! we're here for you!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 10:44

Stats: 215/215/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi everyone! I'd like to join this group. I'm 29, I'll be 30 in Nov. I'm a mother of a 3 year old girl and 2 year old boy. I live in Germany, but am American and don't really know that many people or the area that well. My current weight is 186. I started Atkins a little over 2 weeks ago weighing in at 198. My goal is 145, but I'd be happy as high as 155. I put on all my weight since I've had kids and became a stay at home mom. I'm very involved with my kids, but don't seem to take time for myself. My husband travels ALOT for his job and while he is gone I don't get any time for myself and don't feel like making big meals. The kids just don't eat enough. So, I usually make something healthy and small for the kids and eat a convenience food myself. We all know how unhealthy they are.
I haven't been exercising because I get discouraged because I'm so out of shape. I've been inputing my food on fitday, but have been estimating portion sizes. I usually guess over so that I don't eat too many carbs, but I will go buy a scale and starts using a measuring cup and spoons per your advice. I'm really looking forward to chatting with you all. Good luck to you!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 13:23

BF:
Default Exhausted

Hi moms

I for one am exhausted. I've had a cold all week, which is getting better but you know how it can make you so tired. Plus, my 7 month just cut 3 teeth in five days and is working on another (should be through by tomorrow). It was be his sixth tooth all together.

I haven't done pilates this week, but took an hour walk two days ago, and took a fifteen minute walk yesterday plus some reps with free weights. I've lost 3.4 lbs since the last time I posted (about 10 days ago). Not bad! I've also lost 2% body fat..woohoo!

April