Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:35

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Cramps Muscle Aches

I feel fine and have been on Induction I would say almost 2 months. I never felt any different, even during induction. For the last 3 weeks EVERY body part aches horribly, and I'm getting leg cramps. I don't exercise. I have heard not enough potassium can cause cramping, but can it cause aching? If the potassium would my potassium level in a blood work up show it? The leg cramps come in the middle of the night and the pain is so bad I end up screaming. It's the kind where if someone straightens your legs and points your toes to you it helps. Oh by the way the cramps are in my calves. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary either.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:39
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I had major problems with calf cramps too!! And yes, they'd wake me up in misery...no fun!

Start taking a calcium and magnesium supplement and they should go away instantly. Mine did

Good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:48

PS I just got put on medication that increases your potassium level and indicates NOT to take any potassium.

Natkins - So just magnisium would do it? It doesn't mess with your stomach right?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/224/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 27%

I was also having problems with "charlie horses" during the night. I bought a calcium, magnesium, zinc combo vitamin and I haven't had one since. I won't speak for everyone but I haven't noticed any stomach problems from magnesium. Hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Loveable, don't be taking any potassium if you've been told not to!

That being said, its usually the magnesium that does the trick for cramping / charlie horses. Magnesium should come with calcium - the two work together helping with muscle contraction and relaxation. Magnesium actually allows the calcium (and other minerals) to work.

RDA for cal is 1000mg, RDA for mag is 500mg. Look for something with a 2:1 ratio (cal:mag) and take the dose throughout the day (the body can only absorb so much at once). One pill before bed will greatly help with night cramping.

Make sure the calcium is chelated, though. You want malate / citrate but not carbonate from oyster shells (its harder to absorb).

Cheers,
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:11

BF:

Re the stomach problems - no, that's not a typical side effect of Magnesium (it is of potassium however). Mag will help with constipation, though. Calcium has the opposite effect - this is often why they come together in one supplement (to balance everything out)

N
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 20:04

Ok I'm going to get some of the magnesium, thanks guys!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 20:29

Stats: 256/243/175 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress:

I had that same feeling the other night in my left calf, it hurt bad! Will taking potassium effect weight loss?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 20:47

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi, LoveableLC,

Interesting that you should mention the cramps. While I have not felt them all over my body, like someone else mentioned, I have had them in my legs and feet. They cause excruciating pain. The day before last, right upon waking, I went to get out of bed and my calf contracted beyone belief. I couldn't even move the rest of my body to double over in bed and rub it. In short, I really sympathize. This has happened for quite some time.

I take a cal-mag supplement religiously. After reading these posts, I will start upping the dose tonight (I'll take one pill tonight). However, I am not convinced that I can fault the diet because I also exercise but--- perhaps more importantly--- I wear high heels when I work. I make it a point to not wear heels on weekends, walk in socks at home always, and, of course, wear sneakers for exercise. So, I don't know if this is a vitamin deficiency or physical shortcoming.

I really would like to know what works for you, as I'd be willing to try other ideas.

Whammy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 08:44

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

My wife had problems with leg and foot cramps during the night, and seems to have reduced their frequency and severity with magnesium supplements. Her problem was definitely diet-related...she logs several miles a day wearing some of the best shoes she can buy (she's a nurse). She's done this for many years, and the only variable in her routine has been diet. Try the magnesium...potassium is not recommended for preventing muscle cramping problems anymore, although it was until about 10 years ago. Neither of these electrolytes should interfere with weight loss.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 08:46

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

My wifes bones a muscles ache every time she doesn't take her vitamins. So, there must be something the body needs in them to keep this from happening. When she takes them, she starts feeling better
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i've been getting horrible calf and foot cramps too, usually ones that wake me up in the night. i figured it was because i don't always stretch after my workouts, but now i wonder if i should be taking a magnesium supplement. i've heard that also helps for, ahem, constipation too, so that would also be helpful. i do take a multivitamin that contains magnesium (50g?) and calcium (?) but the doses are probably too low. should i be taking both magnesium and calcium for the cramps/constipation? or will just magnesium do the trick?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 10:08

BF:

Val, we got your answers over in this thread

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...484#post1378484