Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/167/155 Male 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Weight gain during induction

Hello,

I've just started on the low carb diet about a week and a half ago. I've been watching what I eat and making sure that I stay well below the 20g of carbs a day. I've been eatting mainly meat and vegetables with a bit of seasoning. This morning when I weighted myself I was 3 pounds heavier then when I started the diet a week and a half ago. From what I've been reading and people I know who has been on the diet during induction you are suppose to lose weight not gain like I am doing.

Here is what I typically eat during a day:

Breakfast:
- 2 egg omelete sometimes boiled eggs with 2 strips of bacon, sometimes sausages (low carb ones).

Lunch:
- 2 Burger patties with nothing on it, with a piece of chicken thigh. Sometimes pork chops or steak.

Dinner:
- Usually eat steak, pork chops, lamp chops, chicken and 1-2 cups of vegetables or tofus. I don't put anything other then seasoning on my meat.

I drink plenty of water, way more than the 8 glasses of water a day recommended. The only thing that I don't do is enough exercise. I work out about 1-2 times a week, mainly on the weekends. Could it be I have a slow metabolism and the Atkins diet doesn't work for me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:14

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

A few things

Maybe the seasoning you are eating is loaded with salt.

Watch bacon and sausage. They contain a lot of salt and hidden sugars

One other thing. Your body may be holding onto everything since you have been restricting the carbs. In a few weeks, it may go off in a whoosh

And, also make sure to include some veggies. When I don't eat enough of them, I slow down
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:18

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I'm guessing it's water weight too. How much sodium do you think you are consuming?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:21

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

James, if that is a typical menu for you you're not really following the plan correctly. Atkins, and LC plans in general, aren't just about restricting carbs, they are about getting your calories and fuel primarily from FAT. You should be putting butter, olive oil, mayonnaise and other fats on your foods - this is what makes the plan work

Also, you're up 3 lbs today, did you weigh at all during the week? The foods you've listed are all high in salt and sodium - which can cause problems with water retention. I don't see any green foods in there with the exception of dinner - these should be spread out throughout the day, having all your carbs at once is not a good idea.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:24

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
James, if that is a typical menu for you you're not really following the plan correctly. Atkins, and LC plans in general, aren't just about restricting carbs, they are about getting your calories and fuel primarily from FAT. You should be putting butter, olive oil, mayonnaise and other fats on your foods - this is what makes the plan work

I didn't even think of that! That is true!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:25

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Someone kindly reminded me once that its the combination of HIGH FAT and LOW CARB that makes your body go into ketosis. I increased the Fat in my diet (olive oil and butter) and I had a great WOOOSH! of weight go.

Also I noticed you are missing vegetables.

Do not go more than 6 hours (awake that is) without eating.

You want your metabolism moving constantly, and you do not want your body to get tricked into starvation mode.

Keep going, it might take a bit of time for your metabolism to adjust.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:30

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Wheres the FAT?

You need to increase your FAT. Your protein intake looks good, but you need to add more fat to your diet. The higher the fat percentage the better, i think at least 70% fat. I'm currently doing about 90% fat and seems to be working great.

Good Luck!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/255/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

have a cup of salad and low carb dressing with your meat for lunch, then have 1 cup of veggies for acceptable food list with dinner.

Have you read the book or looked at the website?
they are both very helpful
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:52

BF:

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I've been looking on the website and I do believe I am not eatting enough fat. It is kind of hard getting into the idea of eatting so much fat when everywhere you go they are telling you fat is bad for you. I will try eatting more fats and spread out my carbs and veggies throughout the day.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:49

Stats: 164/163.1/135 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress: 3%
Default am I missing something?

How do you increase your fat intake an not increase your calories to like a million?
I tried this today, adding more fat so I was up in the 70% range, it was really hard and I will be up to like 1,700 cal after dinner.
Can someone please explain this again for me? I'm having a hard time swallowing that number. lol
Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Well this post helped me! I lost a bunch of weight then gained two pounds, I haven't been eating my veggies!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcarbqueen
How do you increase your fat intake an not increase your calories to like a million?
I tried this today, adding more fat so I was up in the 70% range, it was really hard and I will be up to like 1,700 cal after dinner.
Can someone please explain this again for me? I'm having a hard time swallowing that number. lol
Thanks
I don't see anything wrong with 1,700 calories if you're losing ! The more you can eat and lose the better you are in the end - it slows your metabolism less.

Adding fat will increase calories - but usually that's the point Eating too little wont increase the rate of your losses - eating less will, but only up to a point.

If you've been eating well under 1,700 for a while then I would advise increasing slowly - a few hundred a day.

The beauty behind the metabolic advantage is you can eat more and lose fat - because metabolising fatty acids as fuel takes energy. Fat grams, when fat is your primary fuel, have a caloric value closer to 5 than the traditional 9. If you eat 100g of fat your calorie number is closer to 500, not 900. So, in reality, you haven't exactly eaten the equivalent of 1,700 calories

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 18:05

Stats: 164/163.1/135 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress: 3%

Thanks for explaining it to me. I was dropping the weight at first (before I fell off induction labor day weekend) back on it since sept 2. I have lost a bit, but seem to have stalled also. Before I was making sure my calories were not that high and it worked. Now it seems I need to do something. So I will eat the fat and not worry too much about the calories.
Thanks again
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 19:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I think eating high fat, without going over the calories is key. Its really about eating smaller portion, because high fat foods are very filling. You dont weigh very much, so I wouldnt go over 1700 calories. But dont obsess over calories too much, and if you are hungry, then eat.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:08

BF:

It's been almost another week and I still have yet to lose a pound. I've been on induction for 2.5 weeks now and I haven't shed one single pound. I've added more veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach), I've added more fat (olive oil, vegetable oil, mayo, butter), I've cut out cheese, I've drink alot more water, I've also started to exercise a little bit more then I use to (not much though). But still nothing. Can anyone think of anything else that I might try or some reason why Atikens doesn't work for me. I bought some ketosis strips and they are dark pink in the mornings and light pink during the days. I would assume I am in ketosis or does it have to be dark purple?

Any sugguestions would be greatly appreciated. Getting very frustated.

James