Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 05:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Metabolic advantage lost after a few months on Atkins?

It seems that the majority of people on this forum move to a relatively slow weight loss (a pound a week or less) after a few months on Atkins (with exceptions, of course). In other words, the rate of loss becomes similar to WW or other low calorie diets. What's more, to sustain even this rate of loss, many people have to reduce portion size, eliminate additonal foods from their diet (i.e. nuts, cheese, dairy, splenda). So...it's fairly difficult, and deprivation is a reality!

Does the metabolic advantage disappear after an initial period? Is the body adapting to the new WOE and slowing the metabolism?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 06:17

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Thumbs up A pound a week is my goal!

I started this woe April 30th and am now down 32 lbs. I haven't cut back at all but have increased my carbs and choice of foods gradually over the summer. I'm not a strick carb counter but stay around 40-50 a day with an occasional low day and only one high day (while on vacation) so far. Dana Carpender's cookbook has given me lots of choices so meals are interesting and varied. I would lose my mind (and no weight) if I ate like I was "dieting". I worry about slowing my metabolism but don't feel that I have at this point. That's why I chose the slower loss/higher carb combo.

It took me years to put this weight on, I shouldn't expect it to disappear overnight (although I dream about it :lol.

Mom always said (along with lots of other folks) "Lose it fast, gain it back faster". I know from many past experiences with WW, Diet Center and Lean Line that this is true. We (DH and I) have to have this woe ingrained in us so that we don't slip back into our old ways. A slow loss allows for that. I'm losing at about 2 pounds every three weeks but I'm down to the last 10 and eating plenty of great food.

Life is great!
Barb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:10

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I agree with Barb. I wouldn't obssess with the rate of loss. I feel great eating this way. I am ok with the slow loss.. I know I didn't put on the weight over night so I don't expect it to leave in such a short time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Does the metabolic advantage disappear after an initial period? Is the body adapting to the new WOE and slowing the metabolism?
I love these kinds of questions!

I don't see how you could lose the metabolic advantage if you're still eaing LC. If fat is your primary fuel then breaking that fat down is still going to take energy away from fat grams, giving them a caloric value closer to 5 than to the 9 they are traditionally measured at.

What does slow down as you get further along is the amount of fat you have to lose. Everyone loses a different amount during Induction and throughout OWL, but when you figure out the math everyone tends to follow a typical pattern of percentages. The less you have left to lose the smaller that percentage will be, and consequently the lbs lost on a weekly / monthly basis.

When you've lost a fair chunk of fat you must also deal with your body's biology and self preservation mechanisms. Your body doesn't like to change. It spend roughly 60-70% of it's energy trying to stay just the way it is. Losses in fat require adjustment periods (we like to call them stalls and plateaus) for most of us.

Yes your metabolism will slow when you restrict calories and when you become smaller - there's no way to avoid this. You can lessen the effects, though. You cut calories only as much as is necessary, you eat smaller meals more often, you eat real food over supplements (like bars, shakes) and you lift weights to maintain (or increase) your lean mass. This slow down happens with any WOE, though - it's not particular to LCing. I believe it happens even less with LC thanks to the metabolic advantage, which allows us to eat more calories and still lose.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:23

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Isn't saying "slow weight loss" a little like saying "I stubbed my toe on a gold bar I found"?. If you're over weight then any weight loss is great and consistent slow weight loss is absolutely ideal. As for feeling restricted....absolutely not. Yesterday I picked up on some great recipies in the forums and ate like a king. Chicken Parm, Quiche, Atkins Peanut Butter Cups for a treat, Blueberries in cream, lots of water and a cup of green tea and more. When I felt hungry I ate somemore. I'm eating better now than I can ever remember in my life. I eat more veggies than ever in my life and as I ease out of OWL and onto maintainance I will add in more fruit. I lose about 2 lbs every week on OWL. I lost 7 my first week and about 4 a week for the next few and then increased my carb intake slightly. So far I've lost 29lbs. Whooooohooooo! Atkins Rocks!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:27

Great explanation, Nat. I think my body is going through that adjustment period after losing so much weight in such a short time. I notice I feel colder now. That's probably due to a slower metabolism. Body doesn't like changes. To compensate for all this weight loss, it tries to conserve energy. I'm not trying to cut back on calorie in take too much, but I am trying to increase my weight training as well as eating more wholesome food.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Outstanding answer, Nat!

It sure fits my experience, so far. And it makes sense as to how this WOE will work for the rest of my life.

If you think about it, it is completely irrational to think that loss could go on at the same rate as your fat percentage of body mass decreases, right up to the point that you reach your goal weight. That would make no sense at all!

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwdimmitt
If you think about it, it is completely irrational to think that loss could go on at the same rate as your fat percentage of body mass decreases, right up to the point that you reach your goal weight.
It's irrational, alright, but it's sooooooooo tempting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
Isn't saying "slow weight loss" a little like saying "I stubbed my toe on a gold bar I found"?.
Archie, that should be a sig line!

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:01

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thanks for the explanation, Nat. Maybe some people like Archie are lucky and will never experience a slow down even while eating cheese, fruit, and Atkins peanut butter cups.

As they say, your mileage will vary.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:10

BF:

Quest, Archie has another advantage over us (women). He's male - he has more lean mass so his metabolism is faster and he has a different hormonal balance - more testosterone, less estrogen - so he doesn't have to deal with the month water bloat we typically have. He's also been LCing since June. I remember what those first few months were like for me - I thought I'd never hit a stall or plateau. He might be so lucky - being male and eating a good amount of food will all help him with that.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:36

Yeah I never thought I'd never hit a stall myself, because I exercise so much. Well so much for that belief lol.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:51

Plan: Atkins but moving to SBD
Stats: 279/238/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quest,

The weight loss will continue, as you know, if you stick with the approach. However, what you may not realize is that there is still ongoing change in your body.

I've been LCing as a woe for 15 weeks, and my weight loss has slowed considerably in the past month, down to about a pound or so a week. At present, I've lost 41 pounds total.

However, in the past month, I've felt considerable difference in my clothes and have needed to go shopping AGAIN for smaller pants (I'm a guy, I don't find that particularly tempting). Even though it might not be so visible as a numeric weight loss, I would bet your body is continuing to change.

These are the times that can tempt you to question if it's stopped working. Stay the course, it's the journey not the end.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:05

BF:

Lose55pds, you make a very good point and you reminded me of a past discussion on this topic that I highly recommend:

]How Fat Moves About

Nat