Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:42

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Does anyone else think lunchmeat is too salty?

I just wondered. In general, the mainstream lunchmeat you buy at somewhere like...oh, say...Super Wal-Mart....any variety, including their deli selection, tastes like a meat-flavored block of salt. I buy organic beef and chicken and eggs, generally. And find it very fresh, including their dehydrated jerky. But if you want lunchmeat like turkey breast or ham, and you go to the deli, it is cured and preserved in enough salt to choke one to death.
Am I the only person who wishes there is more reduced sodium type of food? And does anyone agree with me that this meat is really salty...?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I wish there was sugar free lunch meat. Every single one I've found has sugar in it Even the ones that say 0 carbs usually have sugar or dextrose in the ingredients.

I've become more sensative to salt as well. i tried someones suggestions of pureeing cottage cheese and a coupel of strawberries. It tasted way to salty and I wondered if I did something wrong. Then I relized I had been buying the no salt added cottage cheese, and picked up regular this time. It amazes me all those years of eating regular and I never noticed it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I think lunchmeat is too sweet and too salty. its like they use each other to balance things, kinda like momma adding a pinch of sugar to take the saltiness of a spagetti sause out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:03

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I bought some breast of turkey last weekend at the deli on Saturday, Sunday morning my eys were all swelled up and so were my fingers, too much salt, no more deli stuff for me!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:06

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Yes there is too much sodium in deli meats. I like eating them but I've tried to cut them out more and more now since I usually get bloated after eating them. I need to find one specifically that says low in sodium or something.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

They do make low sodium varieties. Ask at the deli counter.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:30

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

i ONLY BUY Boars Head low-salt luncheon meats and then also I only buy certain ones. Boars Head does not add fillers nor sugar in their meats and I have had no problem with eating these products. I do not trust the other brands because for those I was able to see "ingredients" on...most list sugar and/or corn syrup in their list on top of hugh sodium levels.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I thought it was me! I have become really sensitive to salt since starting this WOL. Another amazing revelation to me! It seems like stuff tastes tooooo salty and toooo sweet that I never gave a second thought to before. I am glad I am that sensitive now so I do a better job of avoiding bad choices.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:37

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Lori, wow that's a lot of cheat free days. Good job!