Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:52
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%
Default Taking a week off?

When taking a week off after completing a 12 week challenge do you still eat 6 meals a day during the week off?

My plan was to take this week off and then next week I'm on vacation from work and I thought that would be a great time to begin challenge 2, as I'd be in no rush at the gym. We were planning to go to the interior for our week’s vacation. But now with all the fires we are thinking of going to a small island off the coast. I may not find a gym on the island, which means I'd be taking two weeks off.

I think that's too much time off. Any suggestions what I should do? I'm thinking I might just do whatever exercises I can do without a gym, like pushups, luggage bicep curls, etc. and then start BFL when I get home.

I heard on the radio this morning that a few spots in the interior finally got a little rain last night. Here's to praying that the rain keeps coming. I was talking to a friend of mine in Kelowna and she was describing the fire as she was watching it from her window. It's terrifying for them.

Arnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 09:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Two weeks off really isn't too much from a theoretical standpoint, Arnie You can take as much as 3 weeks off before any changes happen, and those are just neurological adaptation ones (they snap back into line fast). It takes you a good 6 weeks to build muscle, and that's about how long it takes to lose it, just FYI.

As for those 6 meals, it's up to you. I find now that I just can't go longer than 4 hours w/o a meal. After all this time I'm programmed for 3 - 4 hours. Typically when doing BFL by the book you'll find stories of people who went hog wild and gained back 10 lbs eating like crap. The WOR is not a lisence to eat anything and everything - and frankly, I don't think that's a problem for your typical LCer, we learned that the hard way I'd treat is as a LC free day - eat when you're hungry, don't worry excessively about the protein numbers and rest! R-E-S-T. Got that ?

If you're worried that after two weeks you'll have lost the impetus to get back at C2 then I'd suggest doing some different cardio on your holidays if you can. Longer, slower cardio - just to change things up.

We're big fans of the weathernetwork up here - we've been watching the reports on the fires for weeks. It's terrifying just to watch. My BF's parents are in Hope, BC and we have friends in Barriere and Kamloops. It's pretty awful.

-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:12
Contributing Member

Thanks for the good advice Nat. I'll stop sweating about next week. That's a great idea to try something a little different for cardio. I've been wondering if I could run for more than three minutes at a time. LOL

I will never go back to eating crap on a regular basis. Yech, yech, and more yech. Okay, I've said that before, but this time I have a plan to make it come true.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:22

BF:

Arnie, I like to think that this time I have the tools necessary to keep things on an even keel. This, as I like to say, is no house of cards. Once you know the truth about nutrition and fitness you have the necessary tools to fix a problem should it arise, and you have the information at hand to cut these things off at the pass. There's nothing more frustrating than doing what everyone says "works" and is "right" and have it not work for you.

-N
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:04
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
There's nothing more frustrating than doing what everyone says "works" and is "right" and have it not work for you.

-N

Oh, you struck a nerve with that statement. My SO, has been having such a hard time. She tried low-fat/calorie diet and ended up gaining weight. We started Atkin's together and I lost and she has gained. I can't see that she is doing anything "wrong". She exercises regularly too.

It has been soooo frustrating for her.

When she started Atkin's she had a thyroid problem, but after about two years of therapy her doctor tells her her thyroid is normal now and she is still gaining weight.

She plans to start over again and go back on induction. Although she never strayed far from induction.

It all worries me and makes her unhappy and a little depressed (That worries me more than any weight gain, I hate to see her unhappy). It has been so hard on her. I'd like to suggest to her that she try BFL, but I've stopped making suggestions to her because it's over my knowledge level, I just try to be supportive of what ever direction she takes.

Sorry for spewing all this out. It's just been on mind mind a lot.

Arnie

Last edited by Arnie_g : Mon, Sep-08-03 at 12:06.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:13

BF:

It must be tough, Arnie. I remember what it was like for my SO while I clutched at straws trying to figure it out. I think perhaps there is something more frustrating than doing what you've been told is right and not getting results - it's watching someone you care about do it and not be able to help.

Every plan isn't right for everyone. I am sure between the two of you, you'll find one that works for her. Don't give up. As for your knowledge level? It's higher than it was yesterday, right?

N
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:41
Contributing Member

Thanks Nat. I'm sure we'll figure out something for her. She hasn't given up, and you've never failed until you give up.

Arnie