Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:12

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question LC Breads?

I am afraid to try LC bread or lc bagels. I feel that they may trigger cravings for more breads and that I will not be about to eat just one!!!

I have been keeping my carbs below 20 for more than two months now and thought it might be nice to add a slice of lc bread a few times a week into my diet.

Has anyone had bad experince when adding lc bread into their diet? Cravings for more? Maybe lost self control?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:24

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I have been eating osolo carb bread now for a little while on my initial run with atkins I lost 60lbs and I ate the beagles for breakfast and the bread for lunch a few times a week no adverse effect such as cravings and what not. but everyones body is diffrent
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:33
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Also, most LC breads are made with soy, which isn't nearly as good tasting as regular flours. So I find that I can use the bread basically as a platform to hold toppings, and really don't want to eat more than an occasional slice.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:11

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

fishberg...I have found that a whole new world of lc has opened up for me with the introduction of lc bread products into my diet. Not only do they usually contain lots of protein but the fibre comes in handy too! I love the fact that once or twice a week I can have an over easy egg on top of a piece of toast w/ bacon, a tortillia to wrap my fajita or taco filling with (or any other filling for that matter), a bun with my hamburger during a bbq...It's a matter of leaving the lc baked goods in the freezer and pulling out only what you will allot yourself for the meal. Just don't replace your veggies with them or use them for your whole carb allotment. If I am going to be on the road, I take an osolo bun with me and when I stop for a fast food lunch I just swap buns and have a salad instead of the alternative. No sacrifice there!! It makes for more choices and less boredom. I usually make tuna salad and have it in half a red pepper but sometimes it's nice to pile the tuna on top of one piece of lc bread (toasted for me!!) and feel good about eating it. No guilt. Imagine that!! Just remember that this woe is a wol and enjoy how you feel when you are in control of yourself. I am in Canada so I have to go over the border to get my lc goodies (expensive but...) and I am going to get some bagels the next time I go. Mmmmmm....BLT bagel with x-tra mayo!!
Now Holly... a beagle for breakfast...thats a protein, right?

Last edited by Delta Fox : Sun, Sep-07-03 at 13:15.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishburg
I am afraid to try LC bread or lc bagels. I feel that they may trigger cravings for more breads and that I will not be about to eat just one!!!

I agree since I like bread alot myself. The "O' So Lo" buns are good because each box contains only 4 individually wrapped buns. Each bun gives 3 grams of carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:57

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

I've been eating Nature's Own Wheat 'n Fiber bread with no cravings. I only eat one piece once in awhile but it's added so much to my woe.

Total Cals 60
Total Fat 1g
Sodium 105 mg
Total Carb 7g
Fiber 2g
Protein 6g

Give it a try and see how you do.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:43
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The only LC bread I can find doesn't have much fiber, I can't wait for my tortillas to come in.

I had a piece of LC bread with soynut butter on it, and a glass of chocolate soy milk for a snack today. Total carbs were around 6 with 4 being fiber. It also had 9g of protien and 6 of fat, so it was an extreamly satisfying snack.

When my LC tortillas com ein I plan to do more samwitchs and wrapps, maybe even quesadillas at times as these can be easily carried to class for lunch. I also plan to get a better LC bread with more fiber. This one is a savory herb, and the taste is so-so, but the slices are really small.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:47

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thanks for asking this question and thanks to those who answered! I have been feeling the same way. We now have at least 3 places in town that sell low carb bread and I've actually bought some "LOW CARB BAKER" bread mix but I've been afraid to try it because things are going so well and I absolutely don't want to do anything to spoil this little miracle. You guys have given me the confidence to try it.
By the Way for the low carber in Ladner, here is the link to The Low Carb Baker who is in Canada (Vancouver I think). They sell mail order.
http://www.thelowcarbbaker.ca/
Thanks Again!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:12

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

My M-I-L told me that whole foods has a great low carb. bread. My biggest weakness is warm bread on of the oven with lots of butter. I decided it wasn't worth the risk.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:39

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yes those that are at a good level of what they want to lose, should introduce some sort of bread, sparingly mind you that is the KEY

I have yet to bake some, keep saying I will............ but I buy a bread, actually my whole family has eaten it for years, long before LC. It is made with no flour just organic grains it works out to be about 11 carbs, for me that is fine as I'm at 40 to 50 aday and have been for a few months.

I limit myself even now though to 3 slices a week, But do I ever enjoy it I useally only have it for breakfast, with butter and peanut butter, that and a fruit protien shake with an egg, man is it filling!

Like someone else said the fibre part is great for us.

However in saying that, if you still have a long ways to go to goal, and have a tendency to go overboard with added foods, then No don't add it yet

Cheers Kathy
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:47
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have REALLY been enjoying my LC tortillas and bread. 3g in one slice of "Food For Lofe" lo-carb bread and 3g in one tortilla. Love to stuff the tortilla full of beef and then deep fry it untill it's all crispy! The bread is great toasted topped with butter and Almond butter. TONS of fiber, too! If only they would make a low carb pizza dough! Then life would be perfect.....
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:52

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

LC Breads/Pastas I've tried --

Atkins White Bread Mix: Too Bland (3g/serving)

Carbolite Bread Mix: YUK !!! (3g/serving)

Nature's Own Wheat 'N Fiber: Great...I use it for Croutons and Toast. (5g/serving)

Darielle Fusilli Pasta: Great...I use it mainly in small amounts (1/3-2/3 serving) in soups and as a side, due to the carb count (10g/serving)

Carbsense Garlic & Herb Pizza Crust Mix: OK...You probably won't be able to get 2-12" pizza crusts out of it like they claim. I got 2-8 to 10" Thin Crust Pizza Crusts out of mine. But, it tastes good. A word of caution: They load it with so much Garlic, you can smell it from across the room. (3g/serving*)

*They list 12 servings/box...which based on their claims should be 1/6 of a 12" Pizza. In reality, you will probably get 2-8 to 10" thin crust pizzas out of the mix. 1/6 of a 10" thin crust pizza should yield the same number of carbs stated on the box. If you make 1 larger pizza (12-14") and cut it into 12 slices, you should get the same carb count as listed on the box.

I'm still waiting for my local Health Food Store to get some LC Tortillas in. I plan to try the Keto Spaghetti, CarbSense ZERO Carb Bake Mix, MiniCarb Biscuit Mix, and MiniCarb Chocolate Cake Mix as soon as I can. The Keto Spaghetti is in stock, but I need to find out how to convert the convuluted serving sizes [Dry Milk Powder is measured in "heaping scoops," whatever that is...and their Spaghetti is listed as 1.3 oz, which is useless you have a food scale, which I don't.] into something I can actually measure [i.e. cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, and so forth.]

Last edited by cc48510 : Sun, Sep-07-03 at 21:07.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:36
Registered Member

Stats: 345/310/240 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Tom's Bread better tasting than atkins bread mix and already made

check your local health food store....
0 carbs

carbs 3g
fiber 5g
this stuff has negative 2 carbs......

I love it!!!

kinda pricey $$$
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
carbs 3g
fiber 5g
this stuff has negative 2 carbs......

Erm, no. It has 3 net carbs, they have already subtracted out the fiber. Basicaly about the only completely carb free things are water and meat. They wouldn't have negative carbs, as the total number of fiber would be included in the total number of carbs, unless they have already subtracted the fiber. From what I understand the UK subtracts fiber most of the time. In the US some do and some don't.

Add up the calories of you are unsure. Basicaly take the fat grams and multiply them by 9, then take the protien grams and multiply them by 4. What ever you have left is the carb calories. So unless this bread has less calories then the number you get when you add up the fat and protien, there are carbs there.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:21

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

WOW - thanks everyone for your great responses!!!

I am still not sure if I am ready for it yet since I have such a long way to go.

Maybe when I break 200!! I am just too scared.