Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Question Body fat scales

I need to replace my ancient and unreliable scales but don't know whether to get ordinary digital or body fat monitoring scales. I would value any feedback you have. Don't want to spend the extra money if they the body fat scales are very complicated or unnecessary.

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 00:55
Registered Member

Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

I have body fat scales, but I've heard that they are not very accurate for measuring body fat. I hope that's true, as according to the scales my body fat percentage is increasing not decreasing! I also see a lot of fluctuation.

However, for weight, the scales are more accurate than my old ones.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 01:10

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

I've just got basic electronic scales which I have had for several years. I've heard mixed reports about the body fat measuring scales and unless you are wedded to the idea I'd save your money and just buy some ordinary ones.

You can monitor your body fat by a number of ways and there are many calculators on the internet, if you search. I use the calculation on my heart monitor for mine and of course with each pound gone the body fat percentage does go down!

With regard to Vanilla's comment about the body fat changing, sometimes upwards. I remember a post from someone in the gym in the US who had her body fat measured on electronic equipment there and the numbers went up as well. I think that the measurement, by sending a small electric current into your body, varies a lot depending upon how hydrated you are etc. There were various comments about this increase not being so uncommon. Not sure if that is reassuring!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:46

Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I've got Tanita body fat scales which are great for weight but lots of variation for body fat. The reading is higher in the morning when you are dehydrated, in my case by up to 6% It is also affected by the hydration of your skin, for example when you have a shower/bath and your skin is still slightly damp. All in all I don't take much notice of the fat reading but I do find the weight reading is very consistent. I originally bought a different set (not Tanita) and the reading for weight would very by several pounds when I weighed myself twice in quick succession.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:48

Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Oh and the Tanita ones were from Argos and cost under £20 which I thought was quite good!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:05

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

thats a good price muddy.i paid over £30 for my digital scales.
don,t think i want body fat readings though,its bad enough if the weight goes up without body fat to think of as well.that would put me in a double bad mood for the rest of the day
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:03
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

I have recently bought a pair of body-fat scales and they are Ok - although the readings can vary wildly from day-to-day .... like most people I tend to ignore the body-fat readings - but the weight reading is consistent'ish ...

they are OK, although wouldnt recommend the ones that I bought (hanson) although they look nice in a space age way!!!!

Lindy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:10

Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Very helpful

Thanks very much - you've made my mind up. I'll opt for the simple digital and forget the body fat scales. I agree Pepsimax - who needs more bad news? Not me