Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question Outback???

My hubby & I LOVE going to the Outback Steakhouse. Would anything else there be ok to eat besides the steak? I love the Alice Springs chicken...has anyone had this? I was just wondering if it was low-carb friendly...or should I just stick with the steak?

~Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

We went last night and I blew it big time!!!!!!!!!

We were there about a month ago and I got the Tuna...it took me out of ketosis! I don't know what they use that would have carbs? Anyway, I love the Alice Springs Chicken...I bet it wiould be okay if you didn't dip it in the honey mustard.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:36

Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
We went last night and I blew it big time!!!!!!!!!

We were there about a month ago and I got the Tuna...it took me out of ketosis! I don't know what they use that would have carbs? Anyway, I love the Alice Springs Chicken...I bet it wiould be okay if you didn't dip it in the honey mustard.

I am worried about the honey mustard. Because I think they cook it with the honey mustard marinade. I thought about making it myself. I know that I have seen some honey mustard at the store with very few carbs. I wonder how it would come out?

Don't worry about your slip up last night. It happens!!! Just pick yourself right up!!! You've done GREAT!

~Amy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:45

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

The Alice Springs Chicken is fine, as long as you give the honey mustard away. They don't cook the chicken in it, and it's covered in bacon, sauteed 'shrooms and LC friendly cheese.

You need to watch the salad dressings there, with bleu cheese or ranch being the only safe choices.

They have some excellent fish choices -- Husband had the catch of the day (Tilapia, that day) with a spicy cream sauce. It was on the menu, but I forget the name of the dish. They called the fish "bronzed" to describe the cooking method. Turns out that means broiled. It's a cajun spiced dish. Very good.

Their veggies are not bad, as long as you forget the carrots.

The wings (appetizer) are good, as are the ribs, if you ask them to come without sauce. Same with the bbq chicken. Ask for it with sauteed mushrooms or a bit of onion and cheese instead of the sauce. They're very happy to change things around for you.

The Outback is our favorite choice, as it offers the most as far as options on the menu. Other places we've tried are very limiting.

Good luck and ENJOY!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:17

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

When I had the alice springs chicken, it was cooked in the honey mustard, or at least they put some one it already, because I could taste it all throughout the chicken even without putting any on it. I hope I didn't blow it. I guess you could get it and just ask them to hold on the honey mustard.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:30

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

The Alice Springs chicken is my favorite! I haven't been to the Outback since I've been doing Atkins, but I was thinking if I did I would take my own "honey mustard" (since the chicken just isn't the same without it!). I make "my version" of honey mustard dressing all the time for salads.. I mix together: mayo, mustard, a little vinegar, and some splenda.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:46

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

ooh good idea kc! I was just thinking about how the honey mustard really makes it taste delicious and it would be hard to go without it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:38

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

The Outback used to be one of my favorites too, but after starting Atkins, I emailed them asking for carb count info on their food and they refused. Not very friendly of them to not give out any nutrition info on their menu items! Be careful with the chicken if without the sauce. Most places get their chicken in with a SUGAR type marinade already on it or even injected into the chicken to keep it moist and add flavor. Many times when you order a plain grilled or roasted chicken breast you are getting sugar too. Hopefully all restaurants will have to disclose ingredients and nutrition info someday. Good luck and have fun.
Marie