Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

Boy I must live in the outer regions of nowhere(OK Iowa) but anytime I try to explain at a restaurant that I don't want the bun or leave out the baked potato they look at me funny and say-"You will get charged the same price you know?"

DUUUHHH-I am willing to compromise on the fact that I have to pay full price if it means feeling half way normal but sometimes people look at me like I am a freak!!! Someday I will be a skinny freak!!!

I have alot of people who have given me their opinion and it was not positive!!
I have had 3 smokers tell me that the Atkins diet is not good for you as they puff away on their cancer stick!!! So I have gotten bold enough to say that the smoke rolling out of your nose and mouth is not healhy for either one of us!! At least my fat is only hurting me and at least I am doing something about it!!

OK off my bandwagon-Sorry!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 23:00

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

You know, whats funny too me is that I was one of these people as recently as three monthes ago :-) I can say for most people, they believe, at least I did, most of the negative press ....ie Kidney problems,heart problems etc. That was what I said to my coworker and he has lost over 50 lbs. But in practice I am a very inquisitive type person, so I decided to research it for myself.

At this point, I avoid using the word Atkins b/c of the response of most people, I just say I am cutting out processed foods and refined sugars/flour etc., unless specifically asked, which I normally respond that I'm kinda on atkins b/c most people think of steak/butter/pork rinds etc, which I don't eat, I stick to chicken and fish and olive oil.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 02:45

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Just the overall **fat is bad, carbs are good** attitude that they have.

But then again, they can probably say the opposite about us. Oh well.

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 02:47.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:50

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

What annoys me about them? They love to talk but rarely listen!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:37

Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Ignore everyone. You can't win. People see me today, and STILL think I am crazy. People won't listen until the doctors do. They won't, because the refuse to go back on their education.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:33

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I have some really good ones...I was looking on my mom's bookshelf last time I visited and saw several diet books she's collected over the years. They were all pro-LF. But, two really caught my eye. One was so anti-fat, pro-carb...it was pathetic. Here are a few examples of the author's stupidity (I will get the book out and provide actual quotes later):

1) She states that Fat provides absolutely ZERO satiation...and that the only thing that satiates is Carbohydrates.

2) She states ALL fats are bad for you. I don't believe she made any exception for EFAs such as Omega-3s.

I don't have the other book [so I can't provide quotes.] It was actually semi-reasonable in advising folks to avoid certain carbs. But, it was still very anti-fat, pro-starch...and filled with misinformation. The most obvious problem was the author had no concept of Glycemic Index or Glycemic Load. She suggested folks avoid Bananas because of their rapid absorption, but she later tells people to replace them with Potatoes. She seems to believe that all starches are slowly absorbed.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: the South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 5-3
BF:
Progress:

I hate it when people are like "Can't you break it JUST THIS ONCE"... and I'm like "no, I really have no desire to"...

I went to my family's down in Indiana over the holiday weekend and we went out to eat at Ryan's Steakhouse (buffett) and I was whining because I wanted fried chicken (yum!) and my mom was like "OH just eat it!!" and I said "no, it's ok"... she gave me a hard time.

Then the next night at her house she was cooking dinner. She wanted to cook goulash...which is a NO-NO, then she remembered our "diet" and was like "oh geez what am I going to cook for you guys?" I told her not to worry about it, we could fend for ourselves... but she kept saying we should *cheat* It was annoying but we got through it. We really had no desire!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 16:06

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

The hardest to listen to are the ladies in my office who are on WW. They keep criticising the "bad, evil fat" that I eat while they munch away on flavoured styrofoam (rice cakes). Here are a few comments...

- All that fat and cholesteral will clog up your arteries.
- That is SUCH an unhealty diet!
- Uggghh how can you eat all that fat?
- After years of eating lowfat, there's no way I could eat all that crap!
- You'll gain it all back and more when you stop!
- There's no way bacon and red meat are better for you than natural foods and grains!
- You're wasting your time on that fad!
- You can die from eating all that fat!
- Carbs aren't bad for you, but fat is!
- Eeewwwww - you use REAL butter?
- All you eat is fat - there's no way you can lose weight that way!
...............and so on and so on the comments are passed!

I can't wait for the day I reach my mini goal (size 12 by Christmas) while they struggle to count points!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 01:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I stayed with my in-laws when we visited Ohio. They made comments like "I'd rather eat my vegetables and fruit." They would say this while I was eating fruit ( strawberries ) and/or vegetables. Hello, are these things negated because I am eating low carb food. My sister-in-law complained that her face was breaking out because she was eating bacon and eggs for breakfast. I did not have the heart to break it to her but her breakouts were more than likely caused by her lack of water intake.

Non-lowcarbers think that they are so enlightened and knowledgeable about health when, in actuality, they are clueless.

Black57
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can't stand when my mother tells me to go off the diet for a cheat. She doesn't understand, its not like WW or some LF/calorie program, that one cheat has a domino like effect. Cheating for one high carb meal is in reality almost like cheating for 2 days straight.

I can't stand when I'm told I can't sustain a very low grain/refined carbohydrate existence forever. Though they mean well, it is a very ignorant statement to make.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:08

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Here's another one of my personal favorites: "Your Brain can only run on Glucose. If you do not eat enough carbs, your brain will shut down."

I must be a walking medical miracle..the only person to pull a 4.0 Semester GPA without a functioning brain. What's really wierd is that when my brain was "functioning," [I was eating 150g+ CHO] I never once pulled straight As.